Breaking: Plane crash near Rawalpindi kills 127

Posted on April 20, 2012 in GlobeScope

By Waleed Tariq:

A Bhoja Airline flight # B4-213 has reportedly crashed near Chaklala airbase, Rawalpindi due to bad weather, killing around 127 passengers, Defence Ministry announced.

The plane was a Boeing-737 with 127 passengers on board, which flew from Karachi at 5:00 PM and was supposed to land in Islamabad at 6:40 PM, but crashed just before touchdown. According to sources in Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), the flight was given clearance to land but it lost contact with the control tower minutes before the crash reports.

Ambulances and other vehicles can be seen as rescue teams including Pakistan army personnel have rushed to the crash site and emergency has been imposed in both Rawalpindi and Islamabad.

An information desk by CAA has also been established at Domestic Departures at the Karachi airport for families of passengers to receive information regarding the incident.