The Maoist Rebels and India – The Spineless State

By Twesh Mishra:

The Maoist rebels are ensuring that no stone is left unturned to humiliate the Indian government. After kidnapping Alex Paul Menon a 32 year civil servant of the 2006 batch in Sukma, Chhattisgarh, they released Laxmipur MLA, Jhina Hikaka. Over a month since the capture of the legislator from Odisha and the release has been executed only under the condition that the lawmaker forfeits his representation in the State Assembly.

Alex Paul Menon, the 32 year old civil servant kidnapped by Maoist rebels.

Despite claims of regulating the Maoist forces in the region, it is evident that the crisis is far from culmination. There may be various factors that attribute to the bold stance adhered to by rebels but the strongest contributor is the assumption that due to their populist measures they would be freed from trials and chastisements. The belief is reiterated in their demands wherein they are demand the release of their captured comrades in exchange of those they kidnap. Outrageously the Maoist rebels demanded the release Chenda Bhusanam alias Ghasi, accused in the killing of 55 policemen and 29 other criminals in exchange for the BJD legislator. The government further relenting was successful in ‘convincing’ the Maoists to facilitate the release of their captive for 25 perpetrators.

Further disturbing is the lack of fear among perpetrators and the inability of the government to establish a sense of justice. The repeated attempts by insurgent forces have exposed the failure of security forces and more importantly the inactivity of the justice bailing out framework. Be it Balwant Singh or Afzal Guru our country is notorious of pronouncing death penalty but refraining from executing the prisoners. Such is the clout of political interference that votes are being asked for under the pretext of sustaining criminals belonging to particular religions. Not much needs to be enunciated on the case of Ajmal Kasab, the brand ambassador of terror in our country, accused of directly murdering 59 innocent lives and being involved in the deaths of 166 others. Further frustrating is the idea that even after 3 years of the 2008 attacks the Indian government has failed to execute someone guilty of waging war against the Indian state.

Inappropriate as it may be to compare any two countries, but if considering the current scenario one is compelled to look to the judicial framework of Norway. Less than a year ago Anders Behring Breivik meticulously carried out killings in the land of the midnight sun. Initiating with a bomb blast in Oslo killing 8 people and then methodically executing 69 more on the island of Utoya the massacre was against the advent of liberal ‘multi-culturalists’ and primarily Islamist occupation of Europe and specifically Norway. Much like his Indian counterpart he too was captured alive, declared sane and then sent into trial. What varies is that their country is impaired as they do not have the option of executing their prisoners. Ironically our country which has the constitutional remedy of hanging prisoners to established fear among prospective criminals is avoiding the option solely for the purpose of short term political gains.

The policy of appropriately punishing criminals in our country has fallen into the abyss of misgovernance. Openly subjugated by political equations, the sense of justice is well beyond the comprehension of the common man. The precedent that the government is setting by negotiating with hardliner criminals and recognized offenders will eventually result in absolute abstinence of the common man from the rule of law.

The writer is the Political Correspondent of Youth Ki Awaaz.

1. harshvardhan

while its easy for u to call the indian state sas spinless and by going through your article its quite evident that it is based on one sided view propogated by corporate controlled media…first of all indian state is not spine less..go through the history of counterinsurgency by indian government in various insugency hit areas and you will find out that the level of crime your beloved indian state has commited is beyong that commited by any insurgent group….for that just go through the history of salwa judum…the naother thing is that the parts of india where there is insurgency is not a part of india …all those areas are out of imaginatin of indian population in normal times and only come out during any crisis…naxals are just fighting for thr tribals who are loosing their land to corporate houses for satisfying the greed of indian middle class..

By Azhar Ansar

By Zeba Zoariah Ahsan

By Anusha S