‘Asmita’, Mumbai Helps The Underprivileged Live A Better Life

Posted on May 9, 2012 in Volunteerism

By Jigish Shah:

A Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) is created by independent people who are not associated with any political party or the government. Social work is their main aim. India has the most number of NGO’s in the world, followed by Russia. There are several types of NGOs such as charitable, social, health-related, etc. and their roots stem from local as well as International NGOs.

Similarly, an NGO named Asmita is located near my residence in Borivali, Mumbai. This NGO has done a fantastic job in helping people earn their bread and making them self-reliant and independent. This NGO has a small number of members who work actively in the organization and serve the people. The NGO gets several donations from various shops nearby and also from many individuals who are interested to see this NGO work and contribute to societal development.

Asmita helps the illiterate to learn how to read & write and also teaches the poor children English and other languages such as Hindi and Marathi. Apart from teaching languages, the organization conducts special sessions and workshops for helping people and kids to learn how to make handicrafts and to effectively use them. It also organizes extra classes for cooking, stitching and gardening. In a fun learning environment, kids learn things to help them in their future while on completion of these courses; jobs are provided too, in order to make them independent and self-sufficient. On Sundays, the NGO serves lunch to all the poor people also donates toys, books, clothes etc.

The main initiative of the NGO is to make people self-independent and they work hard to meet their goals. The members even spend lot of time behind the organization to run it smoothly and do not hesitate to spend their own cash for the benefit of the people. The organization is one of most the reputed NGOs in IC Colony and have won several accolades for their social work and service towards humanity. Asmita teaches us to help others in our own little ways. This NGO is an example for us to feel the joy to help and serve others.

Img: http://stilllifeprojects.com/project-rhino-case-study/