Guwahati Girl”s Public Molestation: A Shame On Humanity

By Tanaya Singh:

A teenage girl was sexually harassed in Guwahati on 10th July. Not in a dark lane or an empty warehouse, not by one man or a man with his friend; she was molested, in full public view, in an alert hour of the evening, right on the main street, by a group of 20 men. Evidently, some men were provoked when the young high school girl responded to a detestable remark made on her. She tried to stand up for her self-respect ended up being subjected to harassment.

The heart does not stop beating and fingers don’t stop shaking while one reads this news or watches the video tape. Yes, we have a video recording of the incident. That’s us; human beings residing in complete harmony, we record a live molestation like we  record a marriage reception. HILARIOUS. I will come to the ironical part regarding the video in a short while. First, I shall talk to the multitude of people who stood right there, made round eyes, opened their mouths to reveal their shocks and looked at each other, or maybe even called some of their friends to give a firsthand narration of the once-in-a-lifetime scene they were witnessing.

The molesters!

SHAME ON THEM. These were the kind of people who will never be disgraceful, not even a tad bit, about what they have done. Because they have a million excuses. Who are we to call them wrong? They were just standing there. They didn’t touch the girl. And moreover, how could they stop the mob of those 20 barbarians. Weren’t they concerned about their lives? Sick! This shows we are sick and crazy bunch of living organisms. The onlookers of this crime are as much criminals as the other wild animals who were after the young girl.

To the women ‘onlookers’: You were scared for yourselves, so you stood there, a few meters from the spot where clothes of that girl were being snatched away. But let me tell you something. Because you didn’t speak up or take any action when you saw this, you will have no right to ask for help tomorrow. Or even day after, when you come out of a bar after celebrating your friend’s birthday and find yourself being groped by a group of men. You will have no right to shout with fear when you are unable to sleep because you can feel those hands everywhere on your body, each night of your life. You will have no right to shed a single tear when your daughter comes back home torn and devastated. Why, I ask you? Why didn’t you move, tried to stop them, evoked others to help that helpless little girl, shouted, cried, shrieked to bring an end to this shameful act before it could proceed to such limit?

To the men ‘onlookers’: What were you all scared of? That those brutes will tear off your shirts as well? You stood there like emotionless clay marionettes. Would each one of you have done the same thing if she was your sister? This country is so full of such flagitious crimes, that every reader can easily predict your answer to this. You’ll say, “My sister will never go to a bar or be on the streets alone in the night. She is a ‘decent’ girl.” This is exactly what you will say, but you know deep inside that these are the words of somebody who is not a man anymore. You have been converted into a coward, incapacitated and blind creature. Will power, a desire to do the right thing, an urge to cry your heart out against injustice; this was all that was required to stop the deed committed against humanity. And those of you who did take a step forward, but only and only to join the mob and steal your chance of touching the girl, go home, look into the eyes of your wife/sister/daughter/mother and tell her that you are a mentally sick and emotionally retarded person. Wish you had the guts to do anything even close to human.

To Assam Police: Mr. DGP, we all know that the police force is not an ATM machine. We are not that foolish. But we also know that if you can’t be present at the crime scene the moment one inserts a card, you can at least be there a few minutes after that. We didn’t ask you to put on your best garments before saving the girl, what took you 30 minutes to be at the place of need? Someone’s life was being ruined there; nobody was standing to take out cash from a machine. Please think before you speak and act before it’s always, always very late.

Finally to the great heroes who made the video: Great job. You made a video tape which is now helping the police to get a hold on the molesters. 4 out of the 16 identified men arrested, after THREE long days. Four is certainly a huge number according to the police and they thank you. I won’t ask you anything, I wasn’t there, I didn’t see what you did or tried to do. My question is directed to Mr. Atanu Bhuyan, the editor-in-chief of Newslife whose journalists recorded the event. Why are you giving hilarious statements to back your men? “The mob would have attacked them, prevented them from shooting, that would have only destroyed all evidence. The molesters would have been roaming scot free”, you said. Don’t you see the simple point here? If your men had tried to save the girl, or encouraged others to help them if they were failing to do so alone, the girl would not have been pulled, stripped, beaten and robbed of her respect. The molesters would not have got the encouragement that they can feel up a girl on the street, smile for the cameras, pose in front of them, make the girl forcefully look into the lenses, and then snug back into their hiding places. Come out of your business fenced, fantasy world; your reporters did no appreciative job.

The molesters? I can’t write in direct speech for them. But I can tell my readers that we live in a world full of wild beasts. We are no more in a place where brave men come up to save the damsel in distress. We live in a dangerous world, a world that smiles at the sufferings of others, and then joins in the stimulus of the pain. I want each of the men who dared to touch a helpless soul to be hanged, or better still, be left in prisons to decay; each and every day of their lives should pass in the darkness that would have surrounded the girl’s eye for those 30 minutes.

What do you want for them?

Sign this Women’s Rights petition to seek action against the molesters of Assam.

1. SUBER SINGH PARIHAR

The assam molesters who harassed young girl should be penalized severely and they all should be put behind bars for at least 20 yrs.

1. Tanaya Singh

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts

2. nvragn nvragn

This shameful and horrific incident can’t be seen in isolation.
    It is not one incident that happened in Guahati, Assam. It happens to a
    lesser or greater extent in every part of India, every nook and cranny,
    every single day, to any girl, any child or any woman. It is something
    just waiting to happen and traumatize ‘her’ for life.
    When molestation happens in broad view, everybody looks the other way.

Ours is a society bereft of decency, full of apathy and bloodthirsty to
    see ‘tamasha’, even better if one can have a share of the ‘tamasha’, anonymously.
    A woman or a child can’t travel alone, ever. Most of the times can’t
    even travel with her father or brother peacefully, she’ll be assaulted
    with words in the plain hearing of her escort causing deep
    embarrassment.
    A woman’s attire is often blamed. But in reality it doesn’t matter,
    if she is dressed conservatively, the predators take her to be an easy
    prey, a guarantee that she’ll put up with the harassment without any
    protest out of fright and shock. If she is dressed in western fashion
    and appears to be bold then most of the times she is spared the major
    assaults as the predators think that she’ll cause too much of a racket,
    sometimes this doesn’t deter the low-lifes and then the by-passers blame
    the victim for having asked for it by dressing up in a certain way.
    Either way she is the one to be blamed and traumatized. Her assaulters,
    rapists, molesters go scot-free.
    The reason for this malaise is the break down of the rule of law.
    People saw that the Delhi (1984), Gujrat (2002) and Kandhamal rioters got
    away with the worst sexual crimes against women. Dalit, Kashmiri and north-eastern women have been assaulted routinely and no action is taken against the perpetrators. So, why can’t the rest of
    men with high testosterone and no morals get away with the same with impunity,
    anyplace, anytime that they see a suitable prey.

The greed, apathy and hatred that has afflicted India is not restricted at a particular group only (Dalits, Sikhs, Muslims, Christians) to be vented out during engineered ‘spontaneous reactions’, it is
    deep seated and is eventually going to eat up the whole of India because when you rear a monster (a society with mob mentality) and pet it when it attacks your perceived enemy, you won’t be able to protest when one day it turns on you.

1. Tanaya Singh

Thanks for the comment and for throwing more light on the issue. As much is the fact that the girl is blamed everywhere is true, it is even more painful to know this reality of our society.

2. nvragn nvragn

Thanks for the article Tanaya. I was so anguished after reading it that I didn’t thank you for bringing forward this horrific issue, in its entirety. I live outside India, at present, I have read in the media, that this might be a TV stunt by the journalist who filmed the whole sequence instead of calling the police or rescuing the girl.
      Is it true? Have we stooped to this level?

3. Amritt Rukhaiyaar

Hi tanaya….!! I don’t know how… but a friend of mine shared me this… a molester’s FB profile… the one in the red t-shirt…
    https://www.facebook.com/amar.jyotikalita.7 …is this information of any use… if it is… please make full use of it…

4. Dipmalya

Why only 15 are being accused and identified by the police?
    The people who are circled out in the video are not the only ones involved in
    this heinous crime. It started with a few ill intentioned barbarians and then the
    crowd gradually swelled up to around 40 – 50 who joined them in this barbaric
    act. It sends shivers down my spine thinking that the general public could
    indulge in such activities. If this is what has become of our society then in
    future molestation and rape would become a common everyday activity. It was a
    busy street, there were so many people and cars, but no body tried to put a
    stop to this act. Each and every person enjoying the act and just watching are
    equally guilty. Each and every body’s parents should be ashamed that they had
    given birth to such a child who enjoys watching such activities happening in
    front of their eyes. Or may be that is what these people have learned from their
    parents. It is a lot easier for a mother to give birth to a still born child
    than watching him to grow up into this. In my opinion this could have been
    easily prevented had the public intervened; there were a lot more people on the
    streets than those circled out. I must have forgotten that this is what has
    become of our society. The general public was busy enjoying the situation. What
    is most disturbing is that they even joined in with the others in this act. I
    suppose they did not feel any guilt when they returned home and showed their
    proud faces to their wives and children. They might have even showed those pictures
    they took on their mobile phones to their mother and felt proud while
    describing how they enjoyed the show and did nothing. The fact is that the
    general public was equally pervert and shameless. This shows what sorts of
    perverted, low life thoughts and desires most of the men in our society
    harbours for their fairer counterparts. Is this what we men want to do to them?
    Whenever there is some wrong doing we blame the police. I am not saying that
    the action of the men in uniform was flawless but the time has come to point
    the finger at ourselves. If these are the things to come then our whole social
    structure is on the verge of collapsing. It is not just an isolated incident;
    such news flash up more frequently nowadays. It is time that we do some soul
    searching especially the general public who enjoys such incidents and ask
    ourselves whether what we are doing is ethical. I am not an old man saying all
    these. I am a 23 year old guy doing M.Sc. I was very hurt watching this video
    and in no time tears started rolling down my eyes seeing the situation the girl
    was in. When the general public indulges in such activities what will the law
    upholders do? Whom will you punish? And to the girl I would like to say don’t
    be ashamed about this incident (though it is easier said than done), it is for
    the general public who stood there and watched the whole thing to be ashamed to
    such an extent that even dirt on the ground refuses to hide their faces; and
    those creatures circled out in the video, along with the crowd who did not deter
    to lend a hand in this low life activity, even the harshest of punishments
    meted out to them will be an insult to punishment itself. Also I would like to
    say that you are a strong person and it is people like you who will always
    stand up against such criminal activities. You will grow up to be a respected
    individual and it is people like you whom we desperately need in our society. You
    did not lose a single bit of respect in my eyes; rather your bravery has
    increased my respect for you many folds. Wish you all the success in life and
    always remember that strength always comes from your mind.

1. tanaya

“…the time has come to point the finger at ourselves…
      It is time that we do some soul searching.” Very well said Dipmalya. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts.

5. Danish Khan

My sister will never go to a bar or be on the streets alone in the night. She is a ‘decent’ girl.” This is exactly what you will say, but you know deep inside that these are the words of somebody who is not a man anymore (Can you please elaborate these lines?)

1. tanaya

Thank a lot for reading Danish.
      By these lines I mean that if the men onlookers are asked the question whether they would have stood there and watched the same incident happening with their sister, the most common excuse will be that it can never happen with their sister as she will never go out late in the night as she is a very descent girl; thereby putting the blame on the victim and tagging her as indecent.

6. Vinayak Kesarwani

Well written . The reactions of the male population present there is what has me bowing my head in shame . The actions of the perpetrators is detestable in its own right , but the fact that they were able to get away with it in a public place makes me question the populace present in their area if they were too blind to see the wrong being done . Incidents like these make me feel as if we were back in the middle ages with the rich , powerful members of the society ruling the roost . Since , the identities of perpetrators is no longer a secret i’d feel somewhat mollified if the police arrests the accused and sentences them appropriately keeping in mind the horrors which they have caused for the girl , the trauma which they have inflicted upon her .

7. Sudhir

Well Said, To the onlookers , don’t call yourself men anymore.Shame of you.

I would like to narrate an incident that happened three weeks ago , I am from chennai , on a Sunday evening around 7:00 I was crossing a four cross road signal in the heart of the city. The signal was red , And there was cars,bikes,etc., waiting for the green signal , I saw a man in lungi leaning over a car and talking some to the driver , as i was coming close i was able to notice the driver was a women , and he was using verbal abuses and vulgar words and some vulgar actions, I suddenly stopped there to realize whats happening exactly , there was people, cars and bikes all around no one reacted,everyone was just looking at whats happening , there was two girls in scooty in-front of this car , they were the only persons trying to get help by shouting at the traffic police who was at the other end , but unfortunately he did not hear.

I took me around 45 seconds to access the situation , then i listened to what my mind said and acted , I went aggressively to that guy and caught him by his collar and pulled him , he was drunk , I was prepared for a fight if he tries to hit me , but to my surprise he tried to run away , I caught hold of him with grip , then he was asking sorry to me , I slapped him once and let him away , The people who were mum still now , started raising their voices and asked me to hit him more.

I said this story only to highlight a few points , atleast some onlookers wanted to do something but was afraid of what might happen, my advise is when you see something like this , asses the situation , be prepared , act , you will definitely get some help from others ,
    These heinous animals are really cowards inside , even i or you get beaten up , there is nothing shameful , at least we tried to act in the way of dharma.

On the night I asked myself What if it was five people ?? Yes i would have acted that would have created a scene and the issue will get attention.

What if 20 people ? Again Yes , We are intelligent people , there is always a way to handle a situation , that too at times like this when you really prepared to act god is there to help us, thats what i believe.

1. tanaya

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us. We definitely need the exact same thought in all onlookers of such incidents

8. Raina Bhowal

I feel, the aim of this article shouldn’t be ‘just read’. Rather, this should actually make all of us ‘act’

9. ipsa arora

This is a such a shameful incident and all the molesters should be put behind bars.

By Archana Mishra

By Prakash Chand

By Fazlu Raheman