Cancer- A Fight Within Oneself

By Sonakshi Madan:

Cancer, the world’s deadliest disease is characterized by out-of-control cell growth. There are over 100 different types of cancer. Cancer harms the body as damaged cells divide uncontrollably and form tumours. According to a study published in British Medical Journal (BMJ), a drug for treating type 2 diabetes called Pioglitazone is linked to a higher risk of bladder cancer.

Causes of cancer: Cancer is the result of cells that uncontrollably grow and do not die. There are several causes of cancers; few of them are as follows:

– Benzene and other chemicals
– Drinking excess alcohol
– Environmental toxins
– Excessive sunlight exposure
– Genetic problems
– Obesity
– Radiation
– Viruses

Tobacco smoking causes 90% of lung cancer. Cancer related to one’s occupation is believed to represent between 2-20% of all cases. Every year, at least 200,000 people die worldwide from cancer related to their workplace. Diet, physical inactivity, and obesity are related to approximately 30-35% of cancer deaths.

Symptoms of cancer:

Cancer symptoms are quite varied and depend on where the cancer is located, where it has spread, and how big the tumour is. Some cancers can be felt or seen through the skin. Some oral cancers cause white patches inside the mouth or white spots on the tongue. Coughing and hoarseness can point to lung or throat cancer as well as several other conditions. The following symptoms can occur with most cancers:

– Chills
– Fatigue
– Fever
– Loss of appetite
– Malaise
– Night sweats
– Weight loss

Cancer Treatment: There is no single treatment for cancer, and patients often receive a combination of therapies and palliative care. Treatments usually fall into one of the following categories:

Surgery: Surgery is the oldest known treatment for cancer. If a cancer has not metastasized, it is possible to completely cure a patient by surgically removing the cancer from the body.

Radiation: Radiation treatment, also known as radiotherapy, destroys cancer by focusing high-energy rays on the cancer cells. This causes damage to the molecules that make up the cancer cells.

Chemotherapy: It utilizes chemicals that interfere with the cell division process – damaging proteins or DNA – so that cancer cells will commit suicide. It has side effects such as hair loss, nausea, fatigue, and vomiting.

Immunotherapy: Immunotherapy aims to get the body’s immune system to fight the tumour. Local immunotherapy injects a treatment into an affected area, for example, to cause inflammation that causes a tumour to shrink.

Hormone therapy: Hormone therapy is designed to alter hormone production in the body so that cancer cells stop growing or are killed completely.

Gene therapy: The goal of gene therapy is to replace damaged genes with ones that work to address a root cause of cancer: damage to DNA. Gene therapy is a very young field and has not yet resulted in any successful treatments.

Prevention of Cancer: We can reduce the risk of getting a cancerous (malignant) tumour by:

– Eating a healthy diet
– Exercising regularly
– Limiting alcohol
– Maintaining a healthy weight
– Minimizing your exposure to radiation and toxic chemicals
– Not smoking or chewing tobacco
– Reducing sun exposure, especially if you burn easily

Best Indian Hospitals for Cancer:

– Dharamshila Hospital (www.dhrc.in)
– TATA Memorial Hospital – Mumbai.
– All India Institute of Medical Sciences – New Delhi.
(This is India’ best hospital with affordable costs.)
– P.D. Hinduja National Hospital – Mumbai.
– Apollo Hospitals – New Delhi.
– Cancer Institute — Chennai
– Indo American Cancer Centre – Hyderabad. Best cancer hospital in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh.
– Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute

Ayurvedic Treatment of Cancer:

In ancient times the rishis of Vedic discipline have given many methods of treatment which are very similar to modern cancer treatment methods, and also Ayurvedic treatments are without side effects.
(i) Ayurvedic treatment in cancer is completely free from side effects.
(ii) Food also becomes a part of treatment.
(iii) Ayurvedic treatment improves metabolism in the patient.
(iv) Increases the digestion power in the body.
(v) Rejuvenates the body, increasing the self confidence of the patient.
(vi) Tumour or the ulcer caused by the cancer gets localized first, reducing the chances of metastasis in other parts or organs, and is subsequently eradicated from the body.
(vii) Regular intake of medicines reduces the chances of recurrence.
(viii) In a deadly disease like cancer, the patients quality of life improves, adding years and peace to his life.
(ix) Compared to modern treatments it is much less expensive and effective.

There are 2 important Ayurvedic treatment centres in India-
– Divyajyot Ayurvedic Research Foundation,Ahmedabad
– The Athulya Ayurvedic Medical Research Centre hospital

Although treatment for cancer can be difficult, there are many ways to keep up your strength. You should get plenty of rest and eat a well-balanced diet during the course. I wish good luck to the people suffering with Cancer and for others ‘STAY FIT, STAY HEALTHY’.

A SALUTE TO THOSE FIGHTING AGAINST THE DEADLIEST DISEASE OF THE WORLD.

1. Sonakshi Madan

Hoping that people are not scared of this disease now.

2. Ajeesh

Where is the Athulya Ayurvedic Medical Research centre?
    Please specify the place and phone number of Athulya Ayurvedic Medical Research Centre

3. Vibha

I want to know review of Divyajyot Ayurvedic Research Foundation,Ahmedabad for Stomach Cancer (GIST). Please reply.

By Shadman Shaidai

By Kriti Rathore

By pratyush prashant