Hard Work And Talent At The Second Standing: Did Reservation Win?

Posted on August 29, 2012 in Education

By Manisha Bhadoria:

Like all other students, after passing class 12th, we  gave all the entrance exams we could. Since me and my friends had maths as one of the major subjects, the most awaited results were of our state engineering entrance test and AIEEE. Result of AIEEE was declared and nearly everyone got what they deserved, except for two students. One secured around 20000 rank and was sure that he won’t be getting any colleges of his choice and the others rank was in lakhs and obviously nobody bothered to know where he would be getting. But something ulterior happened after the counselling. The latter got into an NIT!

Well, I think most of you have guessed what could have been the possible reason behind this. He got this seat under ST criteria. But the story doesn’t end here. The former had to take admission in a private college and all he could think of was that despite of all the hard work he had put in, he still wasn’t able to get into a decent college. He remained dejected for a long time and slowly developed a kind of dislike for the “reserved people” which wasn’t ephemeral but continuous.

This isn’t just the story of those two boys. Thousands of students in India go through this every year. Reservation is not balancing our society, rather it is creating a dislike among the people and most importantly, among the youngsters.

I call it a dislike because this hasn’t yet turned into hatred which I fear will be witnessed in the coming years. Reservation was necessary when the people of lower class were suppressed by the people of upper class. Or it is justifiable for the people who are below poverty line. But reservation for people who don’t need it is creating a much intricate problem.

Recently an attempt by a student to get into the college of his choice in DU by procuring false SC certificate in spite of having 90 above percentile in board exams has acted as a whistle blower for our government about the deleterious situation which has resulted due to the increasing percentage of reservation day by day .

The vote bank politics of this country has reached its nadir. Now reservation in government jobs for getting promotion would only promote more hostile feelings among the workers and would discourage work enthusiasm.

In my opinion reservation should be removed from the existing education system completely, because the point of reservation was to give justice and rights to the oppressed people of this country. But now it has become a contradiction to the vary existence of this system itself. A rift is occurring in the minds of the young generation who don’t get reservation. Moreover, we are compromising with our nation’s growth. We cannot have a scientist, doctor, an engineer or anyone who is not worthy of being where they are, irrespective of their cast.

In this article I have been forced to use words like “upper caste”, “lower caste”, or phrase like “people with reservation” which I don’t think are of much importance and should not be present in anyone’s vocabulary. But this subject makes people relive the past use words like this. The point of reservation should be to remove that FEELING from people’s heart that they are of upper caste or they are of lower caste. Even if reservation should be there then it must be given to those who desperately need it, like people living below poverty line, for this will justify the true meaning of reservation.

And even if some think, that I am wrong then I would merely like to ask a question to them: What possibly could be the future of a country where hard-work and talent are given second standing?