So Yoga Teacher Ramdev Does Not Care About Public Life, Or Corruption

By Anshul Tewari:

He started alongside Anna Hazare, demanding a corruption free India. An India free from black money. Understood! Good intentions. Now I need not dig into the background of the movement that yoga teacher Ramdev had spearheaded a few months ago (I did write an article on how his movement was completely politicized and received highly interesting comments – you might wanna read), but as it comes across – his movement is well politicized with leaders of BJP and JDU openly supporting him, and vice versa.

From a fight against black money and corruption, the movement has turned to an anti-UPA movement. Now I personally don’t have issues in seeing an anti-UPA movement take shape, what I have a problem with is the logic that goes behind all this.

Let me take you back to when Anna Hazare had first come up to fight against corruption – all it was, was an anti-corruption movement. People came out and supported him in huge numbers. There was no mention of any politician or political party, but only of the system which was dying under corruption. India Against Corruption was formed, and Hazare, Kejriwal and Bedi were the epitome of righteousness.

A few weeks later, yoga teacher Ramdev joins in – creates a havoc, puts women in front of him, jumps from the stage, gets caught. Blah! A highly mismanaged move by the swami.

From that moment, the movement slowly and steadily turned against the UPA Government rather than against the entire system.

All politicians of the UPA Government were pulled into the ruckus, but the masters of corruption, such as one of the previous Chief Ministers of Uttar Pradesh (no names, no law suits) were kept out of the loop. Unnamed.

Fast forward to today – BJP Leader Gadkari and JDU leader Sharad Yadav join Ramdev. Subramaniam Swamy was already there and more politicians showed support. Ramdev began his march to the Parliament House – and I got stuck in Delhi roads.

I was in between the traffic for a good 3 hours before I decided to walk to the foot-over bridge, get on the other side, and head back home. With me was my friend who had an interview. And with us, were thousands of daily commuters who faced heavy inconvenience because of the revolution.

Sirens blew loud as ambulances did not find way to reach hospitals. A good part of the city got stuck for a good 3 hours – it was still stuck at the time of publishing this article.

The only thought coming to mind right now is – the person who claims to create a revolution in the country does not care about public life, about people visiting hospitals, about those who are stuck for hours – about the loss that the country suffers because of this epic move of his.

The thought that came to my mind later on was that this is one movement I just cannot trust. As I pointed above, from targeting what poisons the system, to politicizing the movement and going against one party, to infringing my freedom of mobility.

If yoga teacher Ramdev takes support from politicians and gives them a clean chit regarding their individual involvement in corruption in the country – then I’d rather not learn yoga from him.

If opposition leaders roam around with chests blown up and head held high – rejoicing that UPA is failing, then I’d rather not vote at all, because they are no less. BJP youth wing workers did molest young women in Mangalore a few weeks ago, just FYI, in case they forgot.

The entire base on which this apolitical movement has been based is deeply and entirely crooked. None over here are apolitical, and none here are free of corruption.

The need is not to latch on to a yoga teacher to take us to salvation – the need is to become an active part of our public system – and if you say there isn’t one, well then you are not trying hard enough. The system will not walk up to you. You need to get off that couch, stop sharing mocked photos of politicians on Facebook, and do something! For REAL!

So will you take it easy, blame others and move on, or will you think before you act, and take constructive solutions which really matter and are truly against the poison in the system, and not against individuals?

1. Aniket Pathak

Could not agree more. This stems more because of the fact that India is facing a real leadership deficit in the current political scenario

2. Rijwada Khan

Did you insult the great swami Baba Ramdev? Do you realize how much he helped people with cancer, diabetes, arthritis and other prblems?

3. Tajan Joseph

a good read… and you have identified the flaw rightly. the baba is using the corruption issues of society to make a stand against a particular party. I consider the BJP in Karnataka to be the worst of corruptness .. and for them to blame some other party is, to say the least, hilarious.

4. rajnish garner

This article is really disgusting… Anshul tiwari ji… do u think Baba Ramdev need any political party to be popular or to be respected among Indians and even in different parts of world now… Common man…show some respect to the people like Ramdev who really stood for nation… u just get worried because u got struck in traffic for 2-3 hours, ur friend missed his interview,, may be some patients also suffered due to his revolution or may be died due to this… but the purpose of revolution is much higher than ur thought presented in this article… may be ur frnd missed interview..but if this mission gets succesfull then not only ur frnd but many unemployed get much more opportunity than as ever in India… everything become better … and it is not first time in city like delhi that traffic problem resulted death of many patient… but no one till date even govt. had taken appropriate step to stop this…and obviously this is because govt is corrupt …they only care about themselves …and FYI this is also anti corruption movement as Anna’s mission was which failed due to mentality of people like u…who wants everything perfect on time without taking proper step and always ready to blame others who took step and acts as leader or guidance to others..and evertyone could not be leader…. or if u are talking about political support … i want to explain u that if Gadkari has done something wrong and still supporting Ramdev then he is not only againt Congress leaders but against himself too… but is there any Leader of govt. party have guts like them…no…. brother i could go on and on this topic ..if want to disscuss more meet me at fb…mks4frnds@facebook.com … and i don’t mind u presented ur views in this article…but if u can’t do himself anything to change society positively atleast support who else one is trying to do…ok brother…

5. Reeti

Very True!! ‘ Nothing against Baba Ramdev..he is well accomplished Yoga Guru..benefitting people..Movements’ are going on..people are agreeing to the genuine causes..but is really anything concrete coming out of it? I mean have we been able to arrive at ‘solution’ ?

6. D.VIKAS REDDY

INDIA has totaly correpted by the polititions

7. harish kumar

Baba Ramdev is a great guru who can leads this country if he joins politics ,I dont understand why baba ramdev and anna hazare both are not making a new political party .

8. Karmanye Thadani

I am no apologist for Ramdev and have been quite critical of him myself for various things. His supporting Rithambara on one hand and promising Dalit Muslims reservations is hypocritical, and I do share many people’s views that he has a political agenda. That being said, I don’t see why anyone, even a politician, cannot protest against the government, and that’s what he’s doing. The crackdown on his followers at Ramlila Maidan was disgraceful for our democracy. This is my view and I obviously don’t mean any offence to you, Anshul, or to anyone else.

By Fazlu Raheman

By PRACHI RATHI

By Mayank Aswal