Delhi University”s Resident Bhakts: Rapists In Making

By Nitum Jain:

Long has politics been married to licentiousness; be it the emperors with their harems, the politicians exploiting young girls, and now even student unions trying to stage public rapes. The time of the year has now come when the Delhi University Student Union (DUSU) is once again breaking its luxurious hibernation and coming out to campaign for votes.

A rally for the same on the 31st of August, with a footfall that packed the entire road from Kirori Mal College to the Vishwavidyalaya Metro Station (North Campus), did religiously fulfil its quota of tharki-ness. It’s a commendable job they did when there wasn’t a single girl passing this rally of ardent (and drunken) supporters of the future representatives of the DU’s student community, who didn’t get enough attention to last her a lifetime. In fact, their enthusiasm for the fairer sex grew in such leaps and bounds that they couldn’t stay still at just the sight, or be satisfied with just a ‘darshan’. This band of devotees had to serenade these goddesses with artistic poetry of lewd comments and propositions; and when this didn’t convey their devotion in its entirety, they just had to cop a touch to know if what they see is real, and receive divine gratification.

One such goddess is a friend of mine, and a student of one of the DU’s girl’s colleges, who had been returning from the popular student haunt, Kamla Nagar, in a rickshaw and had no choice but to pass the rally as it was right where most traffic, to and from the university passes. The moment a band of these pilgrims saw this glorious deity on her rickshaw-chariot, they had to go to offer their worshipping selves. They surrounded the rickshaw to get a 360 degree view of this divine creature and then began their vigorous act of praying. First came the visual appreciation of the goddess’ celestial form, followed by the verbal that was so passionate that the goddess, this Supreme Being herself, was scared of their immense love and faith.

Seeing her hesitation, these modern-day Mira Bais had to make her understand the extent of their pious reverence so they closed in and tried to soothe her worries by patting any and all parts of her holy body. Probably it was the aspiration for moksh that also fuelled their actions, but unfortunately this deity wasn’t so forthcoming in handing out gratification to all and sundry. She planned her escape from the conspicuous chariot and took to running, cruelly turning away from her most loyal bhakts. These saints naturally had to pursue her to prove their faithfulness; sometimes they almost got to her, and sometimes they were just a hair’s breadth away. Sadly, the deity being supernatural, was too nimble on her feet and managed to make her escape, leaving these boys midway in their journey to enlightenment. Unknown to them, she had to call a God to aid her in escape plan.

Sadder it is for us that the student community of one of the most reputed universities in the country harbours such individuals, and worse is the part that the rally was ‘overlooked’ by our trusted upholders of law, the Delhi Police, who made sure they followed their duty of doing absolutely nothing when they witnessed the girl shouting for help.

The news naturally spread like wildfire and the college’s authorities contacted the Vice Chancellor’s Office for an immediate action on the same. Fellow college students planned a mass gathering in her support, which was later called off, as legal channels of complaint to the authorities was the course of action which was decided upon. This strong woman had decided that she will not let this humiliation extend to other girls in the future and a committee of about a 100 students decided to take up the matter today at a gathering called by the VC to discuss university plans with the toppers from all colleges.

In a one-on-one session, among the communion of more than a thousand students of different colleges, this incident, the matter of safety of female students and the hooliganism of such rallies was discussed at length. Mr Dinesh Singh, the VC, has promised in front of the huge gathering to take upon himself to personally pay the Police a visit to discuss their dereliction of duty, as well as issuing a ban on any such rallies in the university vicinity.

Unfortunately, due to the great number of these lechers and the trauma of the incident, my friend is unable to recall the faces of her harassers; otherwise an official complaint and a request for their rustication could have been made.

Promises have been made earlier when many such similar incidents took place, promises have been made now. I do not deny that some changes have come, but the university has a long way to go to make its campuses secure. We would be keeping a very close eye on the follow-through of the promises this time and in the meanwhile, more such strong women will keep on fighting.

[box bg=”#fdf78c” color=”#000″]About the author: Nitum Jain is the Associate Editor of Youth Ki Awaaz. To read her other posts, click here.[/box]

1. Rigya Singh

NSUI representatives say it was a political set-up. Of course everyone is out to defame them.

1. Sagar

You mean like Mamata Di’s?
      lol!

2. Vibhor

Keeping aside NSUI idiotics.. i like the writing style and expression of rage.. Kudos to the writer

1. Nitum Jain

Thank you Vibhor, I am glad to know that my views were conveyed in their entirety.

3. Asma S. Shah

Since i know its REAL .. i would say ..FUCK YOU NSUI ..

1. Nitum Jain

Asma, I think it would be even better to direct the curse towards all those who consider women as public property.

4. Charumati Haran

Though the incident is still nasty and black enough, the writing was wonderful because it was dripping with irony. It’s a shame that such things are happening in a city which we could consider the most urban in India, and in full sight of an educational institution 🙁

1. Nitum Jain

Thank you, Charumati. It is a horrific world that we live in; I doubt education or civilization makes any sense to such miscreants.

5. Ujjwal

Why only NSUI ?? I seen even more Sexist womanizers, supports of ‘Gram Wadhu’ in AVBP …

1. Nitum Jain

I completely agree with you. Its just that this particular incident involved this party. Otherwise, this article holds true for all the sexual predators out there.

6. Traveller

It is indeed a shame that such kind of activities are taking place in broad daylight in the campus of such a prestigious institution. All the more ironical is that humans tend to evolve over a period of time. if THIS distasteful downslide of morality and no respect for the oppsite sex is our idea of evolution: DAMNED we are! Who then should call us a Developing Nation.. As good as destroyed…. We breed a society where its women are not safe… not safe at all… Shame…. Such a shame…

1. Nitum Jain

Thank you. It is indeed a shame, where India actually features right at the top, surpassing even the so-called “underdeveloped” nations.

7. Traveller

The Writeup: Thumbs up to that…

8. Siddharth Deswal

Do you realize that when you write in such a convoluted style, it takes away from the message (for proof, see @dad5136da41f285fa6229ae5973cb3e7:disqus’s comment)?

Your word play is good, but not really suited to what the article was trying to convey. Ends up being a mishmash that completely dilutes the gravity of the situation.

1. Nitum Jain

@twitter-601883116:disqus, I understand your views but this was written as a satire and this is how a satire goes like.
      I won’t call it unsuited but I will keep in mind your points.

2. Siddharth Deswal

Ok, again, not ranting against you as the writer, but I feel you could have employed something other than satire to tell us, the readers, what happened and what a fucked up situation it is.

3. Ankush Thakur

I agree. The narration was too contrived and the metaphor stretched to its limits. I’m no expert on journalism, but I too think style should take a back seat to reporting.

4. Nitum Jain

@ankushthakur:disqus, that’s the point. It wasn’t reportage.

5. Rigya Singh

I think satire works better than plain prose in some ways. It gets your attention.

9. Utsav Bansal

I sympathize with your cause. It pains me to see such things happening. Even worse, I don’t know what I can do to help.

10. Build India Aami Anoop

Moral of the story next time when there is an attempt to a “legitimate” (!) molestation one must make sure they get a good look at the faces of those father fuckers.

11. Kaizad Gandhi

Very well written piece Nitum. i personally feel ashamed to be a male in this society of ours, i mean the whole definition of going to a university to seek “higher education” has been completely contorted. It saddens me deeply and also makes me fearful for the safety of women when i realize that these are our fellow students , people who might very well be sitting right next to us in class tomorrow. So it just begs the question, are we actually learning anything?

1. Nitum Jain

There is certainly a need for specific form of education for this, right from the elementary level, I say.

12. Rohit Chaudhary

This happens and the incidents wont stop, the students might not just be students but just mob filler for their candidate. Anyways DUSU ppl don’t work any good. The presidents in the college are sufficient. They should just stop DUSU stuff…

1. Nitum Jain

Amen.

13. Rajath Ravikumar

Loved the writing style.. Haven’t heard or witnessed such incidents happening at my University.. Its sad that such incidents happen in a reputed university such as DU where the best and the brightest take admission..! What is more shocking is that such incidents have been reported earlier and yet it has happened yet again..!

1. Nitum Jain

You would be shocked to here that number of such incidents, and their frequency. Even more astonishing is the fact that teachers face it usually as well.

14. Rangoli Aeran

We all talk about it…but what do we do about it! That is the essential question!

15. Ramanuj Hazarika

I like the way you have written the article.. Though I am doing my M.Phil in JNU (the campus which is probably the safest in the whole country) right now..I was there in Hindu for 3 years during my graduation..and even at that point of time I never felt that DU was safe for girls..Regardless of any parties be it NSUI or ABVP, most of the party members are hooligans, patriarchs and drunken lumpen..also some of them are ‘mindless nationalists’!! Strong role needs to play by Delhi Police and Student Community.

1. Kabir Nanda

Being a Hindu graduate myself, I completely agree with you. Some of them are not even real students, and are transported as crowd fillers and general hangers-on. As on a nationwide scale, this crassness transcends party lines and ideological divisions.

16. amrita

that’s the reason i dnt believe in religion pple just misusing the name of god for fulfilling their beast hunger 🙁
    i hope 4 the time when pple understand this and take humanity as religion as god dnt have any religion
    praise the lord

By Ankur Kumar

By Prince Promit

By Pragati Sharma