Speaking For Sunny Leone: A Check On Double Standards

By Siena:

There has been a new buzz name in the bollywood news world these days- “Sunny Leone“. It started in hush -hush tones until it joined the mainstream chorus tones after the release of film by Mahesh Bhatt. Snooty comments, jokes, one liners have been floating on the media, social networking sites, getting exchanged via sms’s, mails in all forms and shapes. All in the tone of “That lowly girl Sunny! She is not worth a penny“. Why? Because of her acting abilities or inabilities? No, not mention of that at all. But because she belongs to a class of people called “porn-stars” who are like worst kind of creatures possible to exist in “oh I am so holy” society of India.

I really wonder at all these people who take so much pride in rating someone as “worthless”. It must have taken real deal of someone’s logic, brains and sense of righteousness to demean anyone on the basis of her act in her sex life. I mean why all this hoopla about something as trivial as sex? And that too by a generation who has grown up watching porn movies themselves. If porn is so bad a thing, how can they watch it themselves? And if they have enjoyed watching it, how can they despise the people who have acted and have made that “enjoyment” possible! It beats my logical brain to understand this kind of double standards.

I really wonder at the brainlessness of our people to be able to digest such double standards. And it’s not about porn; it’s about any matter related to sexuality. Why does it become such a big deal? Even dumber logic is to call sex related matters as a matter of “character” of the person. Do they even know what character means? Whether it’s a porn star or a prostitute or anyone with multiple sexual relations… as long as these people are not hurting anyone, are engaging in consensual relations, are being transparent about their intentions in the relation, there is nothing wrong at all in doing what they are doing. They are doing an act with own will and engaging in an act with the will of other person. Then what is the problem?

And these people who act so self-righteous when it comes to “sexual character” are completely okay in bum-licking corrupt, murderers, and rapist people in politics or at other powerful positions. If you can accept filth of such kinds in political arena without a voice, what gives you a right to point fingers at someone who has done no harm to anyone? I wonder if I ask all Indian what would they prefer- A corrupt, rapist, murderer politician child or a porn star child. How many would have the character to say- porn star?

1. Aniket Pathak

Yes, just like many other teenagers I was also introduced to pornography during my schooling years and yes I enjoyed it at the begining. But now there is a growing realization that porn is increasingly degrading the female gender in the modern world. Under the banner of sexual liberation it is one of the things that is fundamentally wrong with the world and therefore the very few who realise this need to shun it completely and try and pass on their opinion. Same goes for other insane acts too.
    Nobody is a porn star or a prostitute by choice (Why would one really be?). So when the question of hurting someone arises, I would say that they are hurting themselves and many other females around the world who have reached puberty and are vulnerable to fall a prey to this greedful industry. “They are doing an act with own will and engaging in an act with the will of other person.” -this statement projects a very superficial understanding of the subject in my opinion. The perspective of double standard can be changed not by accepting the industry but by educating its clientele (How? makes up for another article)
    As far as the rhetorical question in the last line goes- no child is born a rapist, a murderer, a corrupt or a porn star – we make them so- so before having the character to say anything I would first try changing it.

1. Rigya Singh

Sunny Leone became a porn star by choice. She wasn’t forced.

2. Siddharth Deswal

Way too many generalizations Aniket. While some of the porn is indeed degrading, I’m sure you’ve noticed the difference between female and male “pornstars”. In the US which accounts for the highest production of both video and web pornography, the “stars” are the female performers. They rake in far more money than the male performers, have better contracts, get to choose what kind of work they want to do and in general are treated very well.

Prostitution on the other hand, is a completely different ball game. Unfortunately, you’re confusing and clubbing the two together.

As for the original topic, awesome writeup. I seriously think Sunny Leone is far more beautiful than most of the currently reigning Indian actresses.

2. snowy

woww….. such a strong slap to the hypocrits..

3. Akash

Well i personally dont have any issues with prostitutes or porn-stars, and this article is also very well articulated. What i want to say is that the mentality doesn’t just come on it’s own. Most of our parents have not grown up watching porn and hence they feel it’s right to look down upon such people who chose this (out of all other options) as their career. Parents teach their children not to become pornstars and hence this mentality amongst the youngsters. To be honest it doesn’t take much to become a pornstar, just shed your clothes and start acting. In such a situation why do u think the society , where in most of the people have chosen a career which requires many more skills, give respect to pornstars ??

4. Akash

A small correction in my comment…parents teach their children, so that they become capable of earning a living on their own…becoming a pornstar is the last thing they will expect

5. Niloy Sarkar

Sunny Leone decided to join the porn industry on her own accord, thus she accepted the perks and pit falls of the industry. The perks being that you actually have to have zero qualifications and do very little to earn money. And the pit falls being the ovious; having no respect in society and being looked at as a glorified prostitute.

It is true that she doesn’t have an iota of acting talent what soever and outside adult films she is of only one use as eye candy. (and yes I have seen some of her adult movies). Its time we stopped glorifying such people and focus on young boys and girls who decide to dedicate some years of their lives to actually go to a drama school and learn good acting.

6. aditya

@Niloy Sarkar : Are we glorifying them ?? no i dont think so because for glorifying we have to first accept them as a normal social being which is too obvious to be not true. Lets accept them voluntarily .

7. Zafar

People who do it, don’t talk much about it. The remaining just don’t get enough! That’s why it sells.

By Ashmita

By Rana Ashish Singh

By sanahmad