By Ashima Gujral:
The world is a scenic beauty waiting to be explored and experienced. There are countless places in the world and one can never get enough of what nature has to offer, and travelling with a companion is the cherry on the cake. But what if you wish to travel alone, especially when you happen to be a woman? Is it even possible?
Yes. Women today, are more liberal and independent than ever before and are capable of doing everything on their own. Right from working, living alone or even travelling for that matter. These days women are keen on going on solo trips all around the globe and that raises questions about their safety. After all, a single woman in an unknown place needs to be extra cautious. So here is a list a few places considered to be the safest for women who wish to travel on their own:
1. AMSTERDAM: As far my knowledge about the city is concerned, it is considered to be one of the safest cities to visit, primarily for women because it grants equal freedom to both sexes and encourages their independence. The fact that English is widely spoken in the country is also an added advantage. Amsterdam has a free-spirited culture and the people there are very friendly. Also, the places to visit outside of Amsterdam include the famous miniature town of Madurodam, the fishing villages of Marken and Volendam, the Zaanse schans windmills and many more. However, the Red Light districts are not considered safe, especially when you are alone at night.
2. AUSTRALIA: The culture and the independence of the place makes it a great option to visit alone, especially for a single female. The friendly nature of the people and the lack of hassles in travelling, since the place happily welcomes tourists, is reason enough to feel safe. Australia is known for its cool and self-indulgent nature where no one bothers anyone. The places worth visiting include diving in the Great Barrier Reef and the Banzai beach for surfing or relaxing. For music lovers, the Sydney Opera House is a must visit and the Melbourne Cricket Ground is heaven for cricket lovers. The Sydney aquarium not only gives a panoramic view of the marine life but also the pleasure of watching the kangaroos and the koalas. It is indeed a fun trip.
3. VIETNAM: Surprisingly, Vietnam comes across as being one of the safest countries in the world considering its growing tourism. A lot of sightseeing and shopping coupled with amazing spas makes for a perfect indulgence for single women. The hospitality of the people comes across as warm and welcoming. The best part about the trip is the fact that it is inexpensive since the tourism industry has only recently started blooming in the country.
4. IRELAND: Ireland is supposed to be a very safe place for women to visit. It is known for its beautiful countryside and the friendly people. Most importantly, the pubs in Ireland are a non-threatening place to party and it is not a taboo for women to drink in this part of the world. Women do not gain unwanted attention if they initiate conversations with people around them and are not expected to be quiet in the presence of a group. To be able to know the locals better and to understand the cultural heritage, single women can safely stay in the several Irish family owned bed & breakfast joints that also offer an opportunity to meet other travellers who can provide insights into the best places to visit and the best meals to have.
5. INDIA: Shockingly, India is considered to be a women-friendly place to visit, if you have done your homework about the places to visit and the ones to avoid and also worked out your schedule and your bookings, beforehand. The crowded places, the dirt and poverty-stricken areas, the unwanted but harmless attention does not seem to rob the country of its scenic beauty and the experience of visiting India is said to be one of a lifetime. The Taj Mahal in Agra being the most famous among the tourists, every city in the country has a different yet mesmerising history to offer. It definitely is a place worth visiting.
Finally, a word of caution: The safest places in the world could become harmful if one lets go of their guard, their alertness and common sense. So women out there, go have the time of your lives and travel without any fears, but remember always, to keep your eyes and ears wide open.