An Exceptional Talaash #Movie Review

By Sadho:

We all are in search of something that would set us free. Some of us know what we are searching for and even the place where our search would end. But that’s not the case with all of us, is it? Because most of us don’t even know what we are after or where would our search for that unknown take us, and where would it end.

You see, there are two kinds of people dwelling in this world – one who knows what they are after, and the other who have no clue what they are looking for! They know that the answer to their search lies somewhere very close to them, but are unable to unearth them for so many reasons not known to them.

Inspector Surjan Singh Shekhawat (played spectacularly well by Aamir Khan) is one of that other kind. And Talaash (a film so well made, that it makes you feel it should have teased a bit more, that it should have dragged the mystery a bit more) is the story of one such world where answers truly lies within!

Written by Reema Kagti and Zoya Akhtar, Talaashis a tale of love lost, fatal attraction and above all the quest to solve a perfect crime.’

The very plot of Talaash is such that any word on it would literally kill the movie, for its makers and most importantly, for those who are yet to see it. Because Talaash works on the very element of surprises that it holds, shocks that it delivers and the story that MUST NOT be revealed!

Good or bad, I’ll let you be the judge of it, but only after you have watched it. About my experience as a random viewer? Here’s what it is:

Talaash is a movie that finally provides the much needed gust of freshness in the Hindi Cinema which off recently has been delivering nauseating, mindless and mediocre films in the name of ‘entertainment.’

The element of surprise and shock in the story, the tightly written screenplay, those well crafted extras (which by the way, are so rare in Bollywood), the refined characters and the above all, a clap worthy performance by the leading cast of Talaash makes it a complete entertainment, where the makers do not treat the audience as fools!

Ram Sampath’s music does an impeccable job of complementing the story. As his music doesn’t just stay music, it very much becomes the part of Inspector Shekhawats’ along with other characters and the story. In short, his music plays an integral role in keeping the audience engaged and interested in a story which ‘kind of’ drags a bit in between. But towards the end of it, you realize that the ‘dragging’ of the plot was necessary in order to form the most fascinating part of Talaash – the mysterious relationship between Aamir’s and Kareena’s character.

And as it’s more of a personal account of the experience of a random viewer, I’ve a few candid confessions to make: Although never heard of her before, never seen her face or heard her voice, but after watching Talaash I’m in love with Reema Kagti. The way she has directed this film, never losing the plot once, nor going haywire with the story, she deserves every praise and compliment that she is or will receive. And, (although I’m as straight as an iron rod) I would become gay for Aamir Khan. That man still has in him everything that a mainstream hero should have. He is indeed perfect in each role that he plays. The kind of honesty and dedication he brings to his character in Talaash, goes on to prove that he is a master player!

I never liked Kareena Kapoor or her work, but this movie changes all that about her. She IS the Talaash in Talaash. She has played the role of a prostitute with such aplomb that  it would be hard to imagine anyone else doing it. And Rani…oh, I wish every single woman would look like her. In the movie, her character oozes that insane sensuality which is very much capable of seriously damaging a sane mind and making it perverse. She gives out a controlled performance, doing complete justice to the role of a mother who lost her child and is trying hard to help her husband who has suppressed his grief and cannot share his feelings.

Last words should be kept reserved for the best of the best, and so I reveal them now, for the best of the best in Talaash – Nawazuddin Siddiqui. He is what even Aamir could never become! Playing a ‘no one’ with a disabled leg, Nawazuddin outperforms himself and overshadows everyone! He is that lanky horse who is getting stronger by each race, and winning like no horse ever has!

So, leave everything else and rush for Talaash before someone ruins it for you!

[box bg=”#fdf78c” color=”#000″]About the author: Just another boy from Bihar. A poet in the making, Sadho occasionally writes for Youth Ki Awaaz. Currently he is working with SAYS.com (a people-powered media) to revolutionize the news and how it’s read, shared and followed on the Internet.To read his other posts, click here.[/box]

By Vanshika Gadekar

By Ranjeet Menon

By samriddhi rai