10 Oscar-Winning Movies That You Absolutely Need To Watch

By Tanmaya Raj:

Since the beginning of the film making era, numerous incredible movies have been filmed, which have left the viewers astounded. However, there are certain movies which surpass the others in the field of direction, cinematography, plot and viewer rating. Some of these ‘forever young’ Oscar winning movies in the order of their release dates are:

1

All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Director: Lewis Milestone
Starring: Lew Ayres, Louis Wolheim, John Wray, Arnold Lucy

The film, adapted from a novel by a German author, Erich Maria Remarque, revolves around a group of schoolboys, who enrol themselves in the beginning of World War I. It highlights the tragedies and brutalities of war as experienced by the boys. The film highlights the futility of war, underlining the fact that it only causes destruction and misery.

gone with the wind

Gone with the Wind (1939)
Director: Victor Fleming
Starring: Clark Gable, Vivien Leigh, Thomas Mitchell, Barbara O’Neil

This is the movie that established Clarke Gable as an unparalleled actor. The chemistry between Scarlett and Ashley still sizzles on the screen, making the movie a must watch for all those romantics out there.

cast pub still - all about eve 1950

All About Eve (1950)
Director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Starring: Bette Davis, Anne Baxter, George Sanders, Celeste Holm

This is an unforgettable story of ambition and betrayal. It has become one of the most legendary stories of human emotions. Aspiring actress Eve Harrington storms into the lives of Broadway star Margo Channing, playwright Lloyd Richards and director Bill Sampson. And thus starts a saga of love, hate and betrayal.

The Bridge on the River Kwai

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)
Director: David Lean
Starring: William Holden, Alec Guinness, Jack Hawkins, Sessue Hayakawa

The highlight of this heart-warming movie is its new and exceptional storyline. The movie is about the construction of a bridge by the British prisoners of war. The main purpose of the bridge is to accommodate the Burma-Siam railway and the prisoners plan to sabotage the bridge. However, their leader Colonel Nicholson persuades them that the bridge should be constructed as a symbol of British morale and dignity. The movie gives a new dimension to characterization, and is a must watch for all those who love the myriad colours of human psyche.

Poster - Sound of Music

The Sound of Music (1965)
Director: Robert Wise
Starring: Julie Andrews, Christopher Plummer and Eleanor Parker

This one set the trend for many forthcoming romantic movies. The movie is based on the life of Maria, who has been failing miserably in her attempts to become a nun. She is hired by the Navy captain Georg Von Trapp as a governess for his mischievous children. Eventually love blossoms between the two. The immortal songs of the movie are still played by romantics all over the world.

godfather

The Godfather (1972)
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Writers: Mario Puzo (screenplay), Francis Ford Coppola (screenplay)
Starring: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino and James Caan

This is one movie that set the theatres on fire. The story is focused on the life of Don Vito Corleone, the head of a New York Mafia family. It begins with him overseeing his daughter’s wedding and encompasses his beloved son’s life as well. The Don is kind to the ones who respect him but ruthless towards those who stand in his way. The manner in which this movie describes various events makes it an all-time thriller that has the power to raise goose bumps, even after four decades.

one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975)
Director: Milos Forman
Writers: Lawrence Hauben (screenplay), Bo Goldman (screenplay)
Starring: Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher and Michael Berryman

Based on the character of McMurphy, the movie laid down the foundation of glorifying the war between injustice and justice. McMurphy, who has a criminal past, gets himself into trouble, but pleads insanity. He is sent to the mentally unstable ward where he had to withstand and witness the tyrannical behaviour of nurse Ratched. The movie focuses on how he and the other inmates form an alliance to stand against injustice.

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Director Jonathan Demme
Writers: Thomas Harris (novel), Ted Tally (screenplay)
Starring: Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins and Lawrence A. Bonney

This is a hair-raising thriller that makes one chew his/her nails right till the end. The movie involves an FBI agent, Clarice Starling, who has to find and save a woman from a psychopathic killer. Clarice takes another approach to the case by talking to another psychopath, Lecter. It is believed that Lecter can answer the questions but for that, the agent needs to win his confidence. The plot of the movie keeps the viewer interested till the very last scene.

gladiator

Gladiator (2000)
Director: Ridley Scott
Writers: David Franzoni (story), David Franzoni (screenplay)
Starring: Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix and Connie Nielsen

The movie is a historical saga that holds a universal appeal. An eye-catching movie revolving around a powerful Roman general Maximus, who was chosen as the heir by the aging Emperor, Marcus Aurelius. This leads to a series of events which eventually leads to the loss of Maximus’ family and places him in the Gladiator games. The desire to rise to the top and the thirst for revenge keeps him alive and restores his will power.

beautiful mind

A Beautiful Mind (2001)
Director: Ron Howard
Writers: Akiva Goldsman, Sylvia Nasar (book)
Starring: Russell Crowe, Ed Harris and Jennifer Connelly

This one is a must watch for all those who are fascinated by the labyrinth of human mind. It is a biopic of a famed mathematician John Nash who wanted to form a new, unique mathematical theorem. Over time however, John begins to lose his grip on reality, and is eventually diagnosed with schizophrenia. He withdrew from the society, however, his research and training later earned him the Nobel Prize in economics. The movie provides a soft warmth, which only a human mind can conceive.

The Oscars are almost here and trust me when I say that you cannot afford to miss these titles.

By Niraj Chandra

By The Guy In Mumbai

By Vaishnavi Gond