Women Empowerment In India: Bouquets And Beautiful Women In Saree

By Devika Mittal:

Women in saree

One of the most typical topics for research on media and advertisement has emerged to be the commercialisation or objectification of women. Women being the eye candy with the main task of smiling, dancing or being caught by the villain, the axe revolution or the “oomph” factor to sell a mango drink has filled pages after pages. Women are being depicted mainly as a show piece, they are in a subservient position; the ‘liberated’ men and women would argue which is true and should be condemned. However, is this objectification restricted only to advertisements or the auto expo?

Way back in my all-girls’ school, any programme would involve selection of some tall, long-haired and beautiful girls to be dressed in sarees for the guest of honour ceremony and to present the bouquets; i must admit that it was definitely an honour for someone to be even considered for it. Even in my all-girls’ college, girls in sarees dazzled but the length of the hair and the looks varied. Here, I must mention that saree is seen as formal attire for women in India, the politics of it would be discussed later in the piece. Girls, more specifically beautiful girls in sarees to receive the guests, present bouquets or to move around are a widespread phenomenon in North India but as a student trained to be sceptical and question everything, it disturbs me a lot.

Saree is the formal attire for women in India. However, is there a politics with it? Saree is the dominant attire but there are many different traditional types of attire in India including salwar suit but the one that draws a thin line between being graceful and sensuous has been chosen. It does not mean that i condemn saree, i personally like it a lot but the way it is generally donned especially by young girls, it is a more sensuous than attractive. It is to note that a programme, if it has enough content, should not require people to look attractive in order to draw attention; formal or smart attire should be enough. When I say formal, I would also ask that who decides what is formal and what is not? Any dress can be formal if it is not too attractive but graceful enough. A saree can be that but we must ask, why only saree?

Such programmes also have men in the formal Indian wear, again with the same politics of cultural dominance involved; a sherwani or kurta is selected. However, while men are also expected to dress in a formal way, it is still the women dazzling in sarees to handover the bouquets and make short but more appearances on the stage to say a line or two. It will be them who would be asked to accompany the guests. Why can’t a man handover the bouquet instead? Why can’t he handle the not-so-important tasks on the stage?
Men and women in their traditional attires do represent the tradition but why are women, more than men, expected to represent this culture often in sensuous attire? Why are women dressed in the traditional attire given more visible but often subservient tasks?

Yes, women do get “empowered” as they are making appearances, they are getting noticed but at what cost? Beauty is a gem, it is not a crime. But do you want people to look at you only because of your looks? Do you want people to look at you, rather than hear what you have to say?

I would like to conclude with what Prof. Pankaj K. Jha, my teacher in my graduation college had remarked, “When it comes to representing culture, we often push our women in front. But when it comes to challenging it, men come forward. We (women) need to make the choice.”

1. gayatree

are you moving abroad for your further studies Or Living with Your friends in an Apartment or Live alone in the City and have to cook the same old instant packets of maggi or soups …Hey Boys this class is just for you ..

Girls who have got accustomed to house maids and doesnt know how to cook when ure about to get married this is the right place to learn ..

Learn the most practical tips and tastes just like the hotel cuisine ..
    Join5 days Chinese course for boys and girls who have never cooked..get d best guidance from chef padma starts tomorow at 1pm..call for bookings asap on 9819165360..

If u miss out one day it shall be carried forward further…Boookings have started ..Batches getting full ..Minimum seats 20..

2. YesFoundation

“You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation”- Brigham Young. Women empowerment is the need of the hour. If you want to bring in the change in society then be a part of YES! i am the CHANGE 101 hour short filmmaking challenge. Register at http://yesfoundation.in/program/registration.php. The last date is August 7, 2014.

By Impact and Policy Research Institute (IMPRI)

By Azad bansala

By Mitesh Solanki