Children And Their Race To Adulthood: Where’s The Innocence?

Posted on March 19, 2013 in Society

By Nidhi Kumari:

Television has become an integral part of our lives. There’s no denying the fact that mobile phones, internet, tabs and many other newly launched gadgets and apps that I don’t even know the names of are on a high; in a country like India, television (after radio, as television has still not penetrated through all our villages) still remains a medium which not only has a mass appeal but also a long lasting impression on its viewers.

One would also not deny that this ‘idiot box’, as it is popularly called, knowingly or unknowingly through its contents is taking a toll on our day to day affairs. The saas-bahu sagas give birth to suspicion, hatred and fights among the mother-in-laws and daughter-in-laws and these shows always portray women in bad light. The youngsters get influenced by the crime reports and shows they watch and the generation which gets affected the most are, ‘kids’.

bigstockphoto_World_Of_Imaginary_1211445

I remember an incident when I had gone to meet an aunt of mine and there I happened to see and have some chit-chat with Kuhu, a little girl of hardly seven years. I was deeply amazed and startled after talking to her. She was really very, very smart. Not that she calculated algebra or geometry at such a young age but she knew almost each and every Bollywood song along with the dance steps . Be it ‘Sheila ki Jwaani’ or ‘Chikni Chameli’, she knew it all.

Today, a child is not asked to recite, ‘twinkle, twinkle little stars’ but famous Bollywood numbers and this when they can’t even utter their names properly. The reality shows on television, especially the ‘dance shows’ showcasing children many a times have kids trying to emulate adults in their dance steps and performance. Coquetry, adult-like expressions, such as rolling of lips, winking eyes by juveniles does not suit their persona. No wonder the kids are prolific and extremely talented from tip to toe but the ‘innocence’, a child has, the sweetness a child is born with is fading in today’s era.

Parental pressure and their high expectations are the reasons why the kids of today try and try too hard to skip the phase of innocence and be a part of adulthood. The good thing is that these kids are clear about their aims and goals in life from such a young age but for that one has the whole life ahead, don’t you think?