Whom Does Faith Belong To, The Theist Or Atheist?

By Priyanka Chakrabarty:

John Lennon said that, “I believe in everything until it’s disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it’s in your mind. Who’s to say that dreams and nightmares aren’t as real as the here and now?” The debate of “What is the Right Faith?” has been raging since time immemorial. Faith is like a looking glass and it can colour the way we see the world. The world categorises faith in two broad categories: theists and atheists. But if you look into the everyday life of an individual, faith is the foundation of their lives. How many times have we heard the phrase, “Everything will be all right” and how many times has that made us feel good? Well, to be honest all the time, because that’s our faith in life, our faith for a better future.

4369503725_949f7b341f_b

There is a raging debate and we want our point to be heard. We go on and on arguing till we hear the triumph of victory. But when someone asks us how is to win we would probably say well victory was inevitable. To a layman this answer seems laced with pride and over confidence. But maybe to that individual it was the faith in knowledge. Faith that if one has the right intent and the right thought it always overpowers a wrong intent and a bad thought.

We all are aware that the world is not at its ideal best, well it never was. Then some incident happens and there is a nationwide uproar, revolts, protests, flash mobs in short they come together because they have faith in unity. With this faith they get together defying every barrier, and get themselves subject to atrocities by the police and politicians but they still don’t budge. The wise will say that the youth is stubborn and impulsive. But if any youth of this country is asked they would probably say that they have faith. Faith that what is wrong will be right. Faith, that the Government will listen to their voices. Faith, that the next youth will breathe in a better country, in a better system, a justice system where justice happens for a change.

We all hope and we all have faith. A faithless person is a person who is dead. Even a person on his death bed has faith that he will take another last breath followed by another last breath. An atheist has faith in knowledge, in individual self and that if something is wrong, he has to make it right. Theists have faith in God; “God will make everything all right” is what they would say even in the darkest days. Some people say that faith is the only factor that keeps us jumping from a railway track because we want to see another day and wait for that RIGHT DAY. So if the question is ever raised that “What is Right?” well, we could rightly say FAITH.

Photo Credit: Leonard John Matthews via Compfight

By Sayam Pradhan

By Internshala