This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rigya. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Dear Society, The Choice To Reproduce Is Mine Not Yours

More from Rigya

By Rigya Singh:

Dear society,

I am a woman, and I detest little kids. I do not think I have the maternal instinct to love someone unconditionally. Moreover, I don’t think I want to. To love without conditions is not my idea of love. To leave behind my individuality at the podium of motherhood is not something I am comfortable with.

No, I am not infertile or barren. No, I won’t change my mind when I grow up or marry. These are not ravings of a “witch”. I am not missing out on anything. I do not want to go through labour pains to bring another life in the world. We already have enough life as it is, a bit too much if you ask me. I have not been hardwired to reproduce, it is my choice, not a rule. Let me decide whether I would like to be a mother or not, it is none of your business.

There is nothing wrong with my mind, I am a feminist or getting there, but stupid ideas have not been fed to me. Do I not want to carry forward the name of the family I might marry in? No, I am not marrying a family, I am marrying a man. Won’t the man have a say in it? He will, but not at the cost of my individuality. There is nothing unnatural in being single and motherless, and yes, I do love cats if you want to stereotype. But sanity and insanity are relative, your normal is not my norm.

Thank you!

1. sweety

U ARE DAMN TRUE AND I STRONGLY BELIEVE THE SAME,.,,,, AND I WOULD LIKE TO INCLUDE…..THAT THEIR IS LOT MORE TO DO OTHER THAN MARRYING ,..I DON’T NEED A MAN TO BE MY GOD ,,,I DON’T WANT HIS NAME BEHIND MINE,,,,I M AN INDIVIDUAL AND HAVE MY OWN IDENTITY AND WANT TO KNOWN BY SAME TILL END

2. Raj

Dear Society, The Choice To take care some strange woman and her kids, is mine not yours
    – Sincerely,
    An independent man

1. The Superstitious Atheist

I hope you will use contraception or timely abortion if you happen to conceive, because if you don’t, it is your fault Strange irresponsible guy.
      You are fine with having sex with the “strange woman” but not raising a kid if that mistake happens. This guy is what is wrong with the society.

2. Raj

Excuse me, I was talking about arranged marriages in which men are forced into. Kids are pretty much compulsory and the vast majority of men forced into such marriages, actually stay back and take care of their wife and kids. So no, contraception isn’t going to be helpful here when your whole tribe is after you to begin breeding. I’m surprised you completely didn’t catch that. Maybe you should think a bit from a man’s POV too. After all, men are human too.
      On the whole I agree with your article and I praise the independent stand you have taken. Kudos!

3. The Superstitious Atheist

Firstly, I am a woman so I can ONLY write from a woman’s perspective. If I pretend to write for men, I would be no better than Chetan Bhagat pretending to be the voice of Indian Youth. Epistemic violence is what I will be committing. Read Spivak’s “Can the Subaltern Speak” for more elaboration on what I am trying to say.
      Secondly, even women are forced into arranged marriages too. (Read some of Ismat Chugtai’s stories). I can say you are completely overlooking a woman’s perspective but as a man, you cannot know a woman’s condition, I know that. Instead of going on commenting on my article, I suggest you pen down your opinions and send them to YKA. Bigger reach.
      Men are human, women are not always victims but you need to understand that patriarchy is not always in favour of men. Sometimes, men fare worse than women, I am aware of that but again, I can’t even begin to pretend that I know what a man goes through. http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/brand-what-do-you-do-when-a-girl-hits-you/ Visit the link, pretty good website.

3. ANAND

Love this article

4. Aditi Thakker

Cannot agree enough. Never understood people who have a few spare ‘baby years’ in their life plan. Also never understood the saying, ‘A woman isn’t complete till she has a baby!”

5. deepa

you are very aboveboard.. no signs of reluctance!! that’s the sweet cream of your personality!! by the way yeah radical feminist..hehe.. remember??

More from Rigya

By Zen

By Khushbu Gupta

By Divya Yadav