Dear Society, The Choice To Reproduce Is Mine Not Yours

Posted on April 16, 2013 in Society

By Rigya Singh:

Dear society,

I am a woman, and I detest little kids. I do not think I have the maternal instinct to love someone unconditionally. Moreover, I don’t think I want to. To love without conditions is not my idea of love. To leave behind my individuality at the podium of motherhood is not something I am comfortable with.

No, I am not infertile or barren. No, I won’t change my mind when I grow up or marry. These are not ravings of a “witch”. I am not missing out on anything. I do not want to go through labour pains to bring another life in the world. We already have enough life as it is, a bit too much if you ask me. I have not been hardwired to reproduce, it is my choice, not a rule. Let me decide whether I would like to be a mother or not, it is none of your business.

There is nothing wrong with my mind, I am a feminist or getting there, but stupid ideas have not been fed to me. Do I not want to carry forward the name of the family I might marry in? No, I am not marrying a family, I am marrying a man. Won’t the man have a say in it? He will, but not at the cost of my individuality. There is nothing unnatural in being single and motherless, and yes, I do love cats if you want to stereotype. But sanity and insanity are relative, your normal is not my norm.

Thank you!

Did you know you can add a post on Youth Ki Awaaz too? Get started here.