This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Akhil Kumar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Rape Of A 5 Year Old And The Heartless Police: It’s Time To Be Very Very Angry!

More from Akhil Kumar

By Akhil Kumar:

Another horrific story of a brutal rape of a 5 year old has rocked the capital. The social media is flooding with angry reactions from the youth as they feel cheated and betrayed, have the December protests had no effect at all on the administration and the police? While we saw the Delhi police brutally blowing lathis in full swing on protesters irrespective of gender and age in the December protesters, the Delhi Police ACP has took the misogyny of the hooligans in uniforms a step further by publicly bashing a female protester in yesterday’s protest.

gangrape

The 5 year old was abducted, brutally raped, mutilated and kept in confinement for two days at Gandhi Nagar in East Delhi. The police refused to file an FIR when the family reported the missing child, The National Commission for Women (NCW) chief Mamata Sharma said she cannot go and meet the child’s family “because it is a holiday” and the police tried to silence the father of the victim by offering Rs. 2000. This shocking apathy and dereliction of duty on the part of the administration is outrageous. The police allegedly told the parents to just be grateful that she was found alive; this culture of ‘normalizing’ crime against women cannot be tolerated anymore.

What we really need to ponder upon is the inherent sense of being above the law that our police has acquired, I doubt any action would have been taken at all on the ACP had the incidence not been caught on camera. While the ACP has been suspended but the question still remains, if this is the level of gender sensitization in even the high ranking police officials, who do we really need protection from? The callousness of the police and the hollow promises are out in the open as the very attitude of the police towards the rape and the protesters paints a sorry picture of the state of affairs.

The youth protesters are angry and the anger is bound to spill over to the roads, they demand an answer and will not take any insult on their injuries anymore. The police will have to offer concrete plans on how they are going to deal with their deep seated misogyny and end this culture of abdicating responsibilities, their indifference will not be tolerated and this is resonating loud and clear in the slogans of the protesters. The police commissioner should resign immediately before he is hounded out of office by the people.

While I condemn the actions of the police in the strongest words possible, I also request the AAP or any other political party to stop manipulating the genuine anger of the youth for vested interests. Let us not give the sly media and the administration any opportunities to discredit the protests, there were many angry students protesting outside the hospital with placards in hand and raising slogans and there was no need to enter the emergency ward. While the anger is very important and understandable, it’s our responsibility to exercise our right to protest in a peaceful and democratic manner. We will intensify the struggle further and show them we cannot be intimidated but we need to think straight and organize, they want us to get carried away by emotions to make the crackdown easier, let’s show them we are here to stay.

It’s not a time to mourn, friends; it’s time to be angry, very very angry! Let us all take to the streets and reclaim our beloved city.

1. rajat

getting angry or very very angry and protesting on street without doing anything purposeful does not take this country to anywhere even in 1000 years. The need of the hours is stringent reforms like china,so that a horror can be sent through the psyche of the culprits before committing even a petty crime. news channels debates, worthless commenting on facebook, twitter are worth a trash. Learning english and mere talking, debating has not made any country’s wealth, the prosperity and well-being comes from the right moral attitude and the industriousness of the citizens. make strict laws and implement it quick.otherwise mere talking and writing,posting comments is a waste of energy.

1. shiwam

Mr.Rajat, i am sorry ,but ,you cannot say that these protests are futile .so you think , remaining shut inside home, watching news on T.V. and cursing police and administration would bring the ‘change’ ? Who would bring the reforms you are talking about ?you expect it from the administration who turn a blind eye to the plight of people? it is our continuous protests that make the administration hear what common people are concerned for .It is protest that brought the change .Be it anywhere in the world .However, what we ,badly,need in this hour is to show solidarity and togetherness with the motivations of these protests which is the only way to shatter the indifferent attitude of administration .

2. Nitu

Mr. Rajat, what have you done in this regard?

2. Gitumani Talukdar

Is it the very fault of being a female that I need to be ashamed of what I possess. Do I need to specially see my organs in a completely different way so as to quench the thirst of someone who is the sole demander of Sex. No piece of cloth could ever cover the evil mentality of such morans who are up there waiting for their next hunt. FRUSTRATION HAS CROSSED ITS LIMIT , its now something that I would shout for , scream for . EVERY GIRL WOULD WANT TO UTTER THIS STATEMENT” WE ALL HAVE THE SENSE ORGANS , DONOT CONFIDE IT TO ONLY SEX ORGANS”

3. ramadhir singh

bashing the acp, why?
    We have seen only the part where he slaps them, not what happened prior to that. From the video, i extrapolate that those gals were getting physical with the man. He’s a cop, what did they expect? Cuddles ?

Now hell have to bear the brunt of the reactions to the idiotic and callous behaviour of the lower staff, ie the constables at the police station.

4. Zahir Koradia

I really dont understand the short term nature of this post. By all means protest. That is important to let the authorities know we care about what happens to our society. But can we have something more concrete than a protest for two days? Can some company pledge their CSR funds towards improving things? Can a few people with the right skill sets (backgrounds in psychology, police training, sexual abuse studies, etc) come forward and say that if provided money to get their salaries, they will help understand what is going on and what is a good way to move forward? Can YKA take the responsibility of advertising this call to the relevant people?

5. Vinesha

I am an NRI and thoroughly shocked by what is currently happening in India. I am indeed appalled and shocked. I hear of rape cases all the way in Singapore. I am aware of the red tape and corruption in India. But this, this is unacceptable. From what I can see/ hear, the Indian government has not taken any tangible actions against all these rapists, which may be the reason why they keep occurring. This time, to a 5 year old. Probably a pedophile. But is the government or police even putting in effort to look for the rapists. Just a comparison, though it is an ill-comparison, the Boston bombing that recently occurred, I am sure many of us may have heard about how the Americans rushed to the hospitals and the bombing site to see if they could offer any assistance.

If you want to make change, it has to start from you, the youths. And you can influence your family members, relatives etc. When you notice anything amiss, do not be afraid to step up and question. Bring a group of people with you. We do not have to wait for things to get this bad and protest. Simple example, if you see someone who has met with a road accident, how many of you would go forward to help him/ her? Many will fear getting interrogated by police etc and not bother to help. Where is the humanity in us? I am sure that if it is anyone we know, we wouldnt hesitate to help, Why dont we think that these people have families too and step forward to help them?

Just think about it, changing mindsets. This is a very powerful tool that Indian youths can consider.At this point, I would like to share a video with you;
    http://youtu.be/GPeeZ6viNgY
    It is about India. I believe that India can make anything happen. Like the tree, if everyone puts in effort, we can make India a better place for everyone. We, the youths are like the boy pushing the tree, we need more people to help us to make change tangible. Start campaigns, educations programs in your schools, villages, towns and cities, hope to make a change. Even if you impact one person, it is something. Go India!

6. Prachi Oza

People, if commenting doesn’t help, then what are we doing? The public is angry now, strike the iron while it is hot. Get a petition signed, saying that a rapist should be handed over to the victim’s family and they are free to do whatever they want. The police should give protection to the family till they are done with the guilty. Or the guilty should be handed over to the ANGRY CITIZENS and they shall be free to do whatever they want. Only then will there be little fear among those b*astards who do all this.

7. P. Maheshwari

Outrageous, barbaric, despicable rape of a little girl (in days of Navratras) in beloved India of Durga, Laxmi, Sita, Parvati. Shame on those who are still giving interviews on TV. Act immediately. Punish Manoj and Pradeep. ‘Justice delayed is justice denied’. We shall not vote for spineless netas now or ever. Beware; you, too.,have girls at home, their turn may come next, dear lady politicians.

8. raj

watch this link of the punishment a rapist is given by locals in brazil and decide yourself if you all want this here too.http://www.bestgore.com/murder/alleged-rapist-lynch-set-on-fire-brazil/

More from Akhil Kumar

By Jenne Maxwell