Travel Green: Top 10 Eco-Friendly Hotels In The World

By Sumeet Kaur:

Eco tourism is spreading rapidly; it is the latest buzzword and it certainly has something to do with nature and our responsibility towards nature. If tourism operates in such a way as to minimize negative impacts on the environment, won’t that be wonderful? Regular awareness programs are being conducted throughout the globe to spread the message of conserving our natural resources and reducing waste and recycling it. There is no harm in being well informed in case you are planning a trip to your favourite destination this summer. If you too have a soft corner for nature, then you should check out the list of the top 10 eco-friendly hotels around the world.

Here are some features of an Eco-Friendly hotel:
● Water efficient toilets and showerheads
● Linen reuse programs
● Non-toxic cleaning chemicals
● Waste reduction
● Water and Energy conservation
● Guests are encouraged to recycle

And here we have the top 10 eco-friendly hotels in the world:

florida

The Breakers Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Situated on Florida’s Atlantic Coast, the place is mesmerizing. One may enjoy a historic bicycle tour of Palm Beach or go for Scuba diving or experience a guided snorkelling trip to The Breakers’ own reef. Enjoy the beachside yoga or simply lounge on the private beach besides spa services, on-site championship golf, delicious dining and world-class shopping in all an out of the world experience.

Cavallo Point San Francisco, California, USA

It’s one of the most romantic destinations in the area. It is situated 15-minutes from San Francisco and named one of the ‘Top 10 New American Landmarks’ by Travel & Leisure and also received the LEED Gold Certification for its environmentally sustainable design and construction. World famous photographers often visit this place for their photograph collections.

Lake Manyara Tree Lodge, Tanzania

Lake Manyara Tree Lodge, Tanzania

Lake Manyara Tree Lodge is located amidst the woods. It is often thought of as the dream cabin offering a truly remarkable and intimate wildlife experience. You would spend your days in stilted tree house suites. A rich diversity of over 400 bird species, especially waterfowl and migrants, as well as the flamingos are found here.

One Aldwych London, UK

One Aldwych London, UK

With a stunning chlorine-free swimming pool with underwater music, located in Covent Garden, this hotel was awarded a gold grading from the Green Tourism for London 2010, the London Development Agency and the Luxury Eco Certification Standard (LECS) from Sustainable Travel International (STI). It offers 105 beautiful rooms and suites, each with original artwork, fruit and flowers. A comprehensive recycling system is among the various efforts employed to protect the environment.

wolgan-valley-resort-spa

Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa Lithgow, Australia

The only luxury resort in the world to achieve the Carbon-Neutral certification. It is Australia’s most environmentally responsible tourist destination. You can enjoy mountain biking, nature safaris, nature walks, horse riding, wildlife safaris and a lot more. To recharge yourself this place is really worth a stay. A little advice for those who would venture on the montain bike trails, research reviews and the best mountain bike comparisons online, get yourself ready to choose a proper rental that wont have you flying off of it and into a hospital bed.

Soneva Gili by Six Senses Lankanfushi Island, Maldives

This resort is just a 20-minute speedboat ride from the International Airport at Male, the capital of the Republic of Maldives. 45 stilted villas float on a lagoon surrounding a tiny coral island in the Maldives. Gili Lankanfushi provides all the modern day luxuries you would expect and provides care and attention to the environment, at the same time.

banyan tree

Banyan Tree Bantam Indonesia

Banyan Tree is the place for rejuvenation. Banyan Tree was founded with the core value of driving sustainable development. It is on the northern coast of Britain. You can experience the natural sights and sounds of an island stay set in one of the oldest tropical rainforests, hillside terrain and secluded beach. One swimming pool here was completely carved out of rock. Modelled on traditional Balinese architecture, each of the 61 villas is raised on stilts.

Shergarh Tented Camp, Kanha Tiger Reserve, India

Shergarh is the creation of naturalist Jehan Bhujwala and his English wife Katie. Visitors get an opportunity to stay in tents, go for early morning walks, cycle through the forests along with game drives and much more. Food is prepared using home-grown vegetables and fish from nearby lakes.

Seaport Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts

Seaport Hotel, Boston, Massachusetts

Seaport Hotel uses water conservation methods such as low flow toilets and showers. They also use composting to recycle food and garbage for their gardens and even educate their guests on what green steps they use and why.

orchid

Orchid, Mumbai, India

The Orchid is a pioneer amongst environment friendly hotels in India. A 70-foot indoor waterfall is a spectacular sight for the tourists. It is Asia’s first certified eco-friendly five-star hotel. Your stay here would be filled with a warm and friendly experience.

Yoga Magic, Goa

Yoga Magic, Goa

In the midst of nature, surrounded by palm trees and water, Yoga Magic is one of the best boutique hotels in Goa with a swimming pool, luxury tents, eco lodges and boutique suites. The usage of sustainable traditional materials like cow dung, stone, bamboo and coconut and solar power is widely visible. The tents feature solar halogen lighting, natural composting toilets and waste management using EM (effective microorganisms).

So what are you thinking? Plan your destination and keep in mind this small step of yours. Choosing an eco friendly hotel is not insignificant but a self-realization towards your responsibilities by harmonizing tourism and environmental sustainability. Going green is no longer an option, but a necessity in order to safeguard the beauty of nature we are lucky to witness. Have a happy stay.

By Meir Syed

By Ruchi Bhalla

By Danish Syed