Why I am Not Ashamed Of Being A Muslim

By Meher Inayat:

Right from my childhood, I have not only learnt that Islam is a religion of peace and harmony, but I have also practiced my faith with the same. Today, the word ‘terrorism‘ is constantly being attached with the name of Islam because of the activities of some Muslim extremists. Being a Muslim I am not ashamed of my religion merely because of a few religious fundamentalists; as I know this particular group of people do not represent the whole of Islam and Muslims. However, what they happen to be doing is appalling as they are hindering humanity while acting like monsters. I believe, they are harming themselves more than what they are doing to the world because they are not moving with the world, they are different, or maybe aliens.

download

Yes, we cannot deny the fact that politics has endorsed terrorism in the past especially during the Soviet Union invasion of Afghanistan; however, religion was considered the main reason behind the same. Whenever I think about these terrorists, a question plagues my mind, Shall I call it a religious act? My mind never accepts that it should be attached to religion, because what religion has taught me is not what these terrorists are doing. If these terrorists are creating terror for the sake of religion then it means that the way they interpret Islam is nothing but wrong.

Islam doesn’t support terrorism because if Islam supported terrorism then these people would have not killed their own folks, their own Muslims. Today most of the people who are dying due to terrorism are Muslims, so it would be inequitable to blame Islam or discriminate against Muslims. It doesn’t hurt me when people call Muslims ‘terrorists’ because I believe in humanity and humanity is the best religion. Moreover, I cannot deny the fact that Osama was a terrorist and he was a Muslim.

Terrorists are terrorists whether they belong to the Muslim community, the Hindu community, or any other religion. They are enemies of humanity and all they do is kill innocent people and snatch peace from the world. Moreover, whenever I go to any new place or meet new people I show them through my behavior that I am a Muslim and I love peace. I don’t believe in religious discrimination, neither do I support terrorism. I do hate terrorists to the extent that any non-Muslim does. And above all, I believe that I am a good human being.

1. ASHOK VYAS.

A very thought -provoking article and an inspiring one. I endose every word Meher.

2. Mukesh Jha

I wish people understand this.. 🙂

3. Meher

Thanks Ashok and Mukesh…

4. tabayy

Good, researched based, article keep up the good work mehr! I have faith in you, can do much better. 😉 good luck pal!

5. irfanilfu

Great work.. i Loved it .. Keep it up..

6. harish

To put it bluntly, you are a crappy muslim, you selectively obey the laws that you like and reinterpret/ignore the ones that don’t fit in today’s society.
    But you aren’t alone. Even Hindus and Christians have terrible laws which they don’t practice. But yet they are proud to be deluded into thinking they are model citizens of their religion.
    Now coming to the terrorists, you are right when you say that it isn’t purely for religious reasons they fight. Often it is geo-political. In short, they are crazy people who think it’s OK to kill for some ideology. I agree, don’t blame Islam for the actions of Osama. Instead blame Islam for the crappy laws it has.

1. Najah

How many Islamic laws are you even aware of? You cannot call anything crappy without having an in depth knowledge about it or knowing the reasons why they exist. No religion is terrible, it’s the people and their self-crafted practices that are crazy. So kindly refrain from making such pseudo-intellectual remarks.

7. Fayeem Avzl

Politics my friend politics, this terrorism hasnt got anything with Islam. Relating Usama with Islam and calling him a Muslim is seriously funny……lol 😀 a terrorist hasn’t got any religion, insanity is his religion lol 😀

8. harish

@Fayeem Avzl : No it is incorrect to say that terrorists hasn’t got a religion. Of course they have. Of course religion does play some role in motivating the terrorist. But not all muslims are terrorists, most of them are good people. My point is that muslims who say they are proud to be muslims are not following their own religion strictly. They’ve chosen to reinterpret and ignore their religion so that they dont end up fighting and killing non-muslims and that they can live according to the Indian Constitution.
    That is true for hindus and christians too. Even their religions have a lot of crap in them

1. Meher

Well Harish, you cannot just assume that, Muslims are not following their own religion strictly. I belong to Ismaili community (Aga Khanis) and I do follow my faith; I am proud of it. I am proud of my community who are serving humanity and are not involved in any wrong doings. There are Ismailis living in India as well, I am sure they are doing good job there too; the best example is Azim Premji. My faith doesn’t allow me to do terrorist attacks and is much flexible. Here, I am not discriminating any sect or any faith but I am trying to clear your misconception. And, Indian constitution. Where did that come from? I even don’t know what is written in Indian constitution. But, I follow the constitution of my faith which is really beautiful.

9. sarab20121989

Sorry I don’t agree with “Islam has nothing to do with terrorism”. There are clear cut verses in the qur’an asking muslims to fight in the name of allah until there is no other religion except islam.
    For instance , this
    “Quran (8:39) – “And fight with them until there is no more fitna (disorder, unbelief) and religion should be only for Allah” ”

and some other disturbing verses like these

Quran (5:33) – “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement”

Quran (8:12) – “I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them”

Quran (4:89) – “They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks.”

Quran (3:151) – “Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority”.

Quran (2:216) – “Fighting is prescribed for you, and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.”

ISLAM PROMOTES HOMOPHOBIA, MISOGYNY and KAAFIROPHOBIA. Wherever islam rules , places become oppressive and subjugation of religious minorities, homosexuals and women becomes rampant. for instance , saudi , iran , iraq, afghanistan and so on

Agreed religious terrorism is not the monopoly of islam . There have been hindu terrorists , christian terrorists and sikh terrorists among others.
    But in other religions, its tough to find religious scripture sanction for terrorism.

AGAIN , I don’t hate muslims and they should not be harmed and yes, most of them are NOT terrorists but this is despite qur’an , not becoz of the qur’an !

Qur’an has hate in it for the kaafirs and the sooner we accept the bitter fact, the better !

10. sarab20121989

Pedophilia is ok in islam . Muhammad himself married 6 yr old Aisha and consummated when she was 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIIdrybYoXo

By Ayeshna Kalyan

By Md Sohel