This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nihal Parashar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

An Open Letter To Mr. Arnab Goswami

More from Nihal Parashar

By Nihal Parashar:

Sir,
I am one of the millions of Indians for whom you have always fought in your newsroom studio with the profound words together- ‘The nation wants to know!’. I was never able to comprehend how you came to know what does the nation want to know sitting in your newsroom studio. But then I was enlightened by an ardent Arnab Goswami fan who argued that “Saar knows everything and he is the baast”. I had no other option but to believe him. He even argued that you are the ‘baast paatriaat’ in the country. And at a time when the entire paid Indian media is engrossed in mundane issues, you are the only person to make Pakistan, Bangladesh and Naxalism the biggest issue, with sure solution to them.

arnab2

I had to agree with my friend. I was under the impression that our civil society and the government are trying to establish cordial relation with Pakistan. But you, Saar you, made me realize that we are already on the verge of war. Kindly allow me to correct my sentence (I know you do not allow people to finish their sentence, let alone correct it) – we are already at war with Pakistan. Believe me, I just watched Newshour on Times Now on the issue of Sarabjit’s case. I was moved by your arguments. You made sure that this was the right time to humiliate those bloody Pakistanis and discuss every issue with them- Kasab, beheading of Indian soldiers, our prisons are better, we spent more money on Kasab, our biryani is better, our paneer tikka is great, and what not. Bravo! Oh, sorry sir. Last two points were made by my girlfriend (But it does not matter. She is also an ardent Arnab Goswami fan). Coming back to the point, this was the correct time. And I was glad that you had also not invited the relevant people from Pakistan’s side for the debate, otherwise they would have come up with some Anti-India bullshit. All crap. Oh, I am so sorry! Kindly allow me to correct my sentence (I know asking to correct my sentences repeatedly would have been the bigger sin than Laden’s attack on USA). You had called a relevant person, whose microphone was kept mute for half the show. Let me tell you, he was looking funny. I remember even you had a smile on your face before you asked his microphone’s volume to be reduced in your studio. Bravo!

I know why you call at least 6 people for a panel discussion for a show which is just 60 minutes long and has 40 minutes of your profound speech (including advertisements). You want more people to learn from you, right? And what can be a better place than your newsroom studio. But sir, why do you call the show ‘Newshour’, when you are allegedly discussing? That can be ‘Discus-Hour’. Discus is also a sport where we throw a round shaped something-something to something-something. It is also a sport in Olympics. Maybe discus-hour can also be an Olympic sport sometime in near future. And we all know who will bring the Gold medal for India.

Sir, Sarabjit’s case involves serious issues. You have been able to crack each and every detail sitting in Mumbai, which no other news anchor has been able to do here in Delhi. Let me tell you sir, they are all fools. They are discussing some technical issues at this hour. They do not understand that this is the time to shout in their newsrooms. We can reduce the volume of our TV sets, which is totally fine. I always do it while watching your show. But sir, now that you have an eye for detail, why do not you proceed to other issues in the same case? You were more or less repeating the same arguments. Oh, I am so sorry. I just realized what my ardent Arnab Goswami friend had said. He said, “Saar has reason for everything. He never daas anythings like thats. He knows alls, but just not tells alls.” This means you know that we, the Indians, will not understand the deeper complexity of your brain. That is why you keep the debate superficial. What a brilliant strategy sir.

Given the fact that Times Now has just one news-presenter (whose show is watched), I can understand the tremendous pressure you go through. I even saw the pressure boiled up on issues related to Kashmir, Pakistanis and Naxalites. All these supporters of human rights do not understand that you are the biggest brand ambassador of Human Rights activism. You have gone beyond the traditional Human Rights and have invented the newer definition. So as far as I understand, all those who believe in Indian jingoism for patriotism are the people with Human Rights. This is great for this country. This is the shortcut to be the next super power. How can these leftists be a supporter for super-power nation when they do not even believe in the state structure? (You know, Marx said that there is no nation for oppressed. Funny guy, I must tell you! Call him on your show sometime). We need patriots for a better country. Patriots with jingoism, even better!

We know you are in your 40s now. But let me tell you sir, you are giving competition to all the Bollywood stars who have entered their 40s. I am sure if Om Shanti Om or Dabangg is aired on Star Gold at 9 pm that will be a loss to Sallu and SRK. We know the reason why! I know you were the reason why Govinda had to leave the industry. Two chubby faced stars in the same ‘entertainment’ industry, not going to happen, sir!

I hope you call me someday to your show. I know you will love my company and your show will also be a hit that day. Obviously two people with great sarcasm will make sure that people enjoy the show. Ah, who cares about the news! Do you?

Sincerely yours,
One among the millions!

1. Pratik Mantri

This is the problem in India. If someone takes up a cause of national interest then people start criticizing him. I guess you are comfortable with all that has happened to Sarabjit Singh across the border and the Chinese intrusion in Ladakh but most of the people who are partisan towards India are not.

1. Nihal Parashar

Hello Pratik.
      Sorry to hurt your sentiments. Wish you could read against the grains and in between the lines 🙂

2. Gaurab

@Nihal Parashar… u r wat is called a typical big-mouth.. u can do nothin urself… hav absolutely no intent to do sumthing as well.. and u consider urself to be an artist in sarcastic compositions and taking pot-shots at people… must hav been the popular last-bench smart-ass one-liner guy in college.. or still are.. pls start commenting on issues when u r old enough to understand them.. grow up first.. its a long life ahead..

1. Nihal Parashar

Hello Gaurab,
      I agree with you. But I am not able to understand why any body needs to be ‘old enough’ to comment on any issue? Shall we have 127 years old person as our leader? Anyway, I shall try to grow old and also move ahead in life.

3. aprilblossom

Inspired by Newslaundry or not, this article is a sheer piece of love for Mr. Arnab Go-swami Go! 😛 I agree with you Nihal that making serious issues, superficial is solely this person’s strategy (read occupational hazard). An important discussion goes haywire every time he’s over the idiot box, with speakers blaring with him shouting.

4. Prabodh jhingan

Nihal, after a long time I have come across an article which punctures Arnold Goswamy. May I suggest you look at his body language where he looks sooooo sincere when he dismantles his opponents. His non verbal devices needs to be deconstructed and seen as a semiotics of performing Art.

5. Rishab

I agree that debates can be painful towatch because of all the verbal firing. But I don’t think anybody brings about as many different aspects of the issue as him. For example, the points made by his in-house strategic affairs expert Maroof Raza (you’d call Arnab soft-spoken if you heard him) tend to fox even those retired moochad Colonels who otherwise speak so pompously on Delhi-based channels. By playing the devil’s advocate Goswami manages to challenge a majority of the panelists, but the problem is that he loses control of the debate soon after he does that. Or maybe the participants in the discussion are still living in the Trunk Call Age and hence prefer to scream into the microphone 😛

6. Rishab

*the Times Now debates

7. Swati Chandra

well, to some extent you are right Nihaal, that nothing comes out of that 60 minutes talk which is more a talk and less of discussion. but do you think even a 60 minute talk or rather discussion can change anything out of the studio? we d not have dearth of right thinking peple with ideas but the system cripples them. after all its just a talk. when international meets of leaders fail to do much, how can a talk succeed. and what is your letter? just a talk, does it provide a solution? No. it only shows your skill at railing him. finding faults is easy. even i m doing that perhaps. but real change needs action. a single Anna or a single Arnab can not do that. can naxalism be sorted out on a show. many people like you do not even go to vote(perhaps you do), take a leave and talk loud on social media. they too become famous(in a limited circle) like Arnab, because they feed people’s tendency to seem and pretend to be concerned about something. real work is not that easy. and media? its a business. it too has a functional limitation and competition. Arnab is not solely at fault.his popularity is gifted by us. the notion of patriotism entertains us like evry other thing in the world, and what entertains, sells and becomes popular . since you are interested in this field, hope to see you some day on the show and see the change. you . me we all want change, action but want others to be the leader and when they fail, we rail at them. a good piece you have written, no doubt. a solution would be more welcome. good luck to our enthusiastic generation

8. abhishek

@Gaurab one thing what he has done is writing this article which you me and many others have read and commented on …. one free advice to you is to man up and start appreciating things even if those dont match your mental capability or the best ignore them and dont let ur mouth embarrass you again.

9. Jyotirmoy

What is the point? Arnab bashing has been a fashion, and this is a collection of such blog-criticisms. I would have liked to see some serious bashing, or serious praise. This piece, in other words, suffers from motivelessness.

http://www.openthemagazine.com/category/author/jyotirmoy-talukdar

10. gaurav misra

i’m sorry i kind of lost you halfway through your funny piece. but yeah keep at it – at least till the sh*t hits the fan (or whatever the phrase is – you could check with your ‘baast’ friend

11. Frank Krishner

Arnab Goswami… h’m…The actual reason why I prefer SUPERNATURAL to Times Now… Nihal, you’re too good natured to really dip your pen in venom, and that’s why you haven’t done justice to this jingoistic piece of hot hair and blah that masquerades as a journalist. Good try, though!

12. Asad Ali

This was brilliant. What a piece. Laughed my ass off for ages. Splendid.

13. Sagar Vishnoi

Brilliant piece ! 🙂

14. varshini

hi..im varshini frm chennai..i finished my 12th board exams..waiting for my results..i wish to do B.A.journalism..is it safe to do journalism without a degree?could somebody help me with this..

15. varshini

it would be helpfull if i get a reply as soon as possible…:)

16. Nandita Iyer

I am not an ardent Arnab Goswami fan or anything of that sort but this article was plain and simple stupid! You went way too personal which did not help in driving your point across. Infact, makes you look amateurish. The only thing i have inferred from your article is that your self proclaimed funny smart ”sarcasm” is neither funny nor smart. I regularly read this space for a good read and better inputs and understanding of various aspects of this country. However, this article has wasted my time. Regards.

17. kongkona bordoloi

I have been following the Arnab Goswami show for quite long, and I agree with you on this.No doudt he is a very tacky presenter and person of strong personality,but He would always call up people for the debates bur most of the times, the debates are dominated by himself,giving very less scope to the penal to even complete their sentences.And the way he forces things on,its always like “this is the ultimate verdict” and all other aspects are baseless.

18. Dinesh Patel, USA

Yes Dear Arnab Goswami,

Really persons like you and Dr.Subramaniam swamy is one of Institute who note
    the accountability of Government and its Ministers in my word both of you are
    running individual Govt. Body who alwlatys ask questions on the issue of currption
    and many more, I think that no body challenge both of you, please see the chauthi
    duiniya’s Dr.Manish Kumar and also an interview of Mr.Vishva Bandhu gupta and also
    open scam of Govt. like Coal Scame, 2G Scam as well Common wealth grame scame and
    regarding black money, fake currentcy, Hasan Ali and Pranab Mukherjee stand on transfereed
    of Honest E D Officer who have a all details about Mr.Hasan Ali and his Black money in foreigh
    Account and much more. Dionesh Patel

19. Saloni

Brilliant. Spoke volumes about the “No nonsense man who knows it all.”

More from Nihal Parashar

By Jenne Maxwell