This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Meher Inayat. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

India’s Relations With Pakistan: Do We Really Want To End The Conflict?

More from Meher Inayat

By Meher Inayat:

Patriotism doesn’t mean to hate the people living on the other side of the border, but to love your fellow citizens and to work for their welfare.”
– Dr. Pervez Hoodbouy (Nuclear Physicist)

hqdefault

I would like to add another point to the quote, patriotism also entails creating good feelings towards our nation in the hearts of the people of other nations. By doing this, we are increasing well wishers for our nation and at the same time are showing the country a path that leads to peace and development. When it comes to friendship between India and Pakistan, politics has always taken over the minds of the people that has made the relations feeble more than anything else. Even if we pretend that we don’t have any grudges against each other, there exists something deep inside us that makes us biased towards the other country.

We were left only with two Cs through which both the countries could have been brought together on one platform for promoting peace and friendship, i.e. Cinema and Cricket. These were the only ways that have been free from the intervention of politics, however, from what we have experienced in the past few years, we can infer that politics has been spoiling them in ways like no other.

Cricket is no more a game between the two countries but is a new form of war which is watched live by the whole world. When there is a match between India and Pakistan, it always is a do or die situation otherwise the losing side cannot possibly face their nation. On the other hand, most of the youth tend to have verbal wars on social media that increase the intensity of hatred even in the hearts of the people who are not biased. I often ask myself as to why, even though we are against the policies of our governments, more often than not, we blindly follow the path that they show us. Here, the path means that we are against each other because our politicians are against each other. And then Pakistani players were not allowed in the IPL because of the political situation between the two countries was not stable.

I believe Pakistani players should have been included in the recent IPL as we need to make cricket pure and promote friendship between the two countries in the real sense. Moreover, these are cricketers and are not related to any political party or any other group. We are not supposed to feel threatened by them. If we are dragging politics into cricket then this means that we are insulting the game and eventually, are spoiling the minds of the people, especially the youth. Or maybe we do not really want to have good relations with each other. The fact that they were not included only shows how the conflict has deepened, so much so that we do not even want to interact with each other through a game. This will not spoil the relations between the two countries because sadly, the relation has already crumbled politically.

There is one thing that I have observed, Indians claim that they have tried hard to have good relations with Pakistan but it is Pakistan who wants to harm us. On the other hand, Pakistanis say that, we have pure hearts and we consider Indians as our brothers but it is them who consider us as their enemies. So, there exists a huge misunderstanding between the two countries. For instance, dragging the whole India vs Pakistan debate into the case of Pakistani umpire Asad Rauf, who is allegedly under the scanner in the Indian Premier League spot-fixing scandal, is nothing but a ridiculous thing to do.

Pakistan and India, being neighbors and global citizens, will have to work with each other on many platforms and are dependent on each other for many reasons. However, when we will lose the very crucial opportunities for coming closer, then it only means that we do not want to end the conflicts. Moreover, making these opportunities beneficial means coming out of the messy situations that both the countries are facing. For example, India and Pakistan spend a lot of money on defense just in order to protect themselves from each other. If the two didn’t have threats from one another, I am sure that the amount spent on the army could be used for development purposes such as poverty reduction, education, health and others in order to bring prosperity in the regions. On the other hand, a platform will be provided to the countries where they can interact with each other over different areas.

There certainly exists a problem between the two countries which cannot be denied. But do we want to keep this conflict till the end? We need to forget about the past and move forward. We need to be more rational and find the reasons of the problems instead of blaming each other. Furthermore, talking about the recent IPL and the controversies over the Pakistani umpire was in a way missing an opportunity for building a friendly environment. Instances such as this absolutely need to be avoided in the future.

1. Tanya

instead of talking about the things in one’s own country,i think that a practical approach is needed. Every point which is the reason of the conflict needs a clear and fair discussion.Things are getting worse day by day so,investigation is needed to find out who and what should be blamed.

2. Harsh Vasani

The core of the problem Ms. Meher Inayat is the absence of Pakistani citizen’s voice in the administration and polity. A common Pakistani may want peace and good relations, but is unable to influence decisions taken by the belligerent army, and the civil government is too tame to oppose the army. The fact that Pakistani soil is used for anti-india activities and the vehement denial of it, is doing much harm to any possibility of long term peace and brotherhood. It is known fact that ISI is guilty for supporting and financing terrorism against in India and nonchalance of the citizenry is preposterous. While there are people in India who aren’t game to peace with Pakistan, they are silenced by liberal media and active and open minded citizens.
    For peace with India, along with intentions, constructive steps need to taken and the fundamentalist from across the border (Hafiz Saeed for instance) need to be brought to justice.

3. Meher

Harsh Vasani, this is the problem we keep blaming each other for things that happen in India or Pakistan. Due to which we are unable to resolve the conflicts.

4. Raj

I don’t think either side wants peace. The Pakistani Army and BJP would lose all their power overnight

5. Chirag

A good article but the point is are Pakistani’s peaceful within themselves ? Just recently a deadly attack was carried out on Christians in Peshawar leaving 78 people dead and the ongoing shia genocide is in the news everywhere.

Hindu’s and Ahmeddiyas are continuously persecuted.I can vouch for that as I belong to the Sindhi community and we receive a lot of refugee’s from Pakistan who recount their condition whilst there.

While this may seem to be a communal post,it is far from it.This goes for India too ,not that we persecute anyone but our society remains divided too.India and Pakistan should stabilize themselves before having any good relations with each other as it is evident Religion is an unignorable facet of life for the whole of South Asia.This is evident even in India where things are looking scary as Communal divide is more wider than ever.

The only thing that can save us is removing religion from Politics.As is my view that Religion is for you to connect with God not the Government.This depends on We,the people of South Asia,as when we truly demand a secular institution,will we get one.

6. Kaleem Ullah Baig Hunzai

very well written, i greatly appreciate the efforts of young generation like thyself. why do we hate each other so much??? Well, i have researched and come to the conclusion that we are brainwashed as children. In Pakistan India is always considered as an aggressor and to some extent they are right. Most of the wars before kargil were started by India. The blame game continues till this day but we have to bury the hatchet. My grandpa a good old inod-pak war veteran used to tell me that the friendship and good relations claims are just white lies. what lies under the wounds is serum. India intervened in the domestic affairs of Pakistan and Bangladesh got separated, how can we forget things that easily? I don’t think so that the relations between the two neighbouring countries hold a better future.

More from Meher Inayat

By Sudipta Mishra

By Shruti Gupta