This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Saif Ahmad Khan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Understanding Hindutva: An Introduction [PART 1]

More from Saif Ahmad Khan

By Saif Khan:

And God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten son and that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but last till eternity.’ This iconic Biblical verse mentioned in Gospel of John, Chapter 3, Verse 16 has served as the principal plank of Christian theology since centuries. It happens to be the kingpin of evangelists and Bible thumpers. Similarly, the apologists of the Hindutva brigade continue to chant the same old slogan of it being a ‘way of life of the Indian people and the Indian culture or ethos’ whenever they are pressed upon to define the same.

sticker

This definition of the term Hindutva was accepted by the Supreme Court in the year 1995. The Hindutva brigade flaunts the Supreme Court judgement of 1995 as a vindication of the constitutionality of its ideology but what the Hindutva brigade hides from the general public is the result of a review petition filed by Muhammad Aslam in connection to the Hindutva Judgement of 1995 in which the court observed that, “its judgement had been misread and any candidate carrying this misunderstanding to the polls with a communal campaign would have to be ready for an unhappy surprise.

The three-judge bench of Justices JS Verma, MP Singh and K Venkataswami observed, “If it happens, we are here to correct it.” In fact even the 1995 Supreme Court Judgment on Hindutva exposed the unilateral and fascistic tendencies of the Sangh’s ideology by defining it apart from being a way of life as “a synonym of Indianisation, i.e., development of uniform culture by obliterating the differences between all the cultures co-existing in the country” which is the very anti-thesis of the concept of unity in diversity ie unity without uniformity and diversity without fragmentation.

The word Hindutva (ie Hindu-ness) was coined by Vinayak Damodar Savarkar in his ideological document ‘Hindutva : Who is a Hindu ?’ written in the year 1923. It was in this document that Savarkar opined the concept of ‘pitrabhoomi’ and ‘punyabhoomi’ and described Hindus as those who consider India (A Hindu Rashtra) to be their fatherland as well as their holy land. As per this definition, apart from Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs were also to be considered as Hindus whereas Muslims, Christians, Jews etc were to be held as foreigners.

On the occasion of his 59th birthday in the month of May, Savarkar wrote to his followers, “Hinduise all politics and militarize Hindudom and resurrection of our Hindu Nation is bound to follow.” He further stated, “Hindus should henceforth test all national and international politics and policies through the Hindu point of view alone. Whatever policy or political event contributes to safeguard and promote Hindu interests must be backed up by the Hindus and whatever is likely to prove detrimental to Hindu interests must be condemned and opposed by the Hindus.” However, Hindutva apologists have mastered the art of evading such words of the principal ideologue of Hindutva and have maintained high standards of euphemism revolving around the same old notion of Hindutva being a ‘way of life’.

PART 2, PART 3

References:

Articles:
How to wipe out Islamic Terror — Subramanian Swamy
The Guru of Hate — Ramachandra Guha
Conceptualizing Hindutva Fascism — Ram Puniyani
The Sangh is in my Soul — AB Vajpayee

Books:
We or Our Nationhood Defined — MS Golwalkar
Bunch of Thoughts — MS Golwalkar
Confessions of a Secular Fundamentalist — Mani Shankar Aiyar
Bible (King James Version)
Quran (Translation by Maulana Wahiuddin Khan)
Rig Veda (Translation by Ralph TH Griffith)

Interviews:
Bal Thackeray — India Today (1984)

Pamphlets:
Hindutva: Who is a Hindu? — VD Savarkar

Weblinks:
1995 Supreme Court Judgement
Savarkar’s Message on 59th Birthday
Vajpayee on the eve of Babri Masjid Demolition
Review Petition on Hindutva
Gita
Shiv Mahimna Stotaram

Others:
Technical Session (India Today Conclave) — Narendra Modi, Dgvijay Singh & Farooq Abdullah
Gujarat Gaurav Yatra (2002 – Rallies)

1. Lakshya Joshi

Oh Mr Desperate Saif, who is here to promote his own religion and mislead people about the Ideology of the Hindus.
    Youthkiawaaz Team , Are you listening ?
    Better kick off such communal fundamentalist from your panel.

2. Anurag

After reading the title , first thing I did was to search the byline. And look Mr Muslim
    Haha
    Jealous bitches

3. Aastha Dua

Lakshya, Anurag: The article here is quite factual in its premise, I don’t think the author put in any of his beliefs/opinions about hindutva or what it signifies to him. Therefore, question of “misleading” anyone does not arise. I am a Hindu and quite distressed with the way Hindutva is used as a weapon to justify atrocities being done to other communities. Learned VD Savarkar’s statements have come as a shock to me, and needless to say they are absolutely tyrannical in their approach to the concept to nationality.

4. bansi dhameja

Every religion other than HINDU has an origin where as HINDU has no starting point in the living memory of the world. There are no rigid rituals which make a person Hindu so it is believed to be a way of life. This is how I look at it.
    I would like to add that a Hinduism teaches LIVE AND LET LIVE , RESPECT ALL FAITHS. I feel all people in the world should follow this.

5. bansi dhameja

Saif Khan ji . Lkshya Joshi ji , Anurag ji Aastha Dass ji and others readers:
    There is a long history of the suffering inflicted on Hindus ever since India was invaded by Muslims. The British exploited both Hindus and Muslims for their aims till we achieved independence.
    After independence the Government of India has been following appeasement policy. You would agree that bringing in Hindu Code Bill and not a uniform civil code is a clearly demonstrates the intentions of the government.
    Many of the leaders have been trying to create hatred towards Hindus or Muslims for their narrow political or personal aims from time to time. This in my opinion has lead to development of Hindu radicalism because Hindus are reactionaries and they never act only react. Most Hindus lead a life where they tolerate others and believe in live and let live.
    For the development of Hindu radicals, I feel pained to say that it is the government and government alone who are responsible. It will not be out of place to mention that it is the Congress which has been governing our country but for a few years.
    I would not like to get into a discussion about who said what and when because that is history. What appeared to be true then may not be true now. We have to live in the present. Let us think about the present and let us make the best of the opportunities available.
    I WOULD LIKE TO HUMBLY SUBMIT AND APPEAL TO JOURNALISTS TO PLEASE WRITE TO CREATE HARMONY AND NOT HATRED.

6. Sachin

Well Mr Saif Khan i probably know what you really want to say through this article but guess what you failed miserably.. from the beginning you used a quote from the bible as you knew people will bust you for using a quran quote. You know what no one really cares if you post this shit about Hindus and you questioned the origination of Hindus well guess what they originated from India and they are not getting their ass kicked in Pakistan so its highly advisable that please move your desperate ass and perverted mentality to your own country. It is sick people like you who are the reason of riots in the country. Did any writer write about the origination of Islam or what kind of value does it hold? No cause thats what being a hindu means- not barking in the same manner as pathetic dogs like you. I love muslims; most of my friends are muslims but none of them is anti Hindu or does stupid moronic stuff like you. Youth ki Awaaz i am surprised how you have allowed this post on your website. Its shameful and disgusting..fire the writer cause he is sick and deserves slaps and not claps for this article.

7. sg02

read this : http://www.jaia-bharati.org/nicole-elfi/ni-godhra-ang.htm
    it is an unbiased report.
    tell me what you think after reading it. okay?

8. Fabiana

congratulations sir. I am brazilian and i am studying about India. For Western people India is a country where misery and religiousity living in hamornic OM. Now, i am perceiving the many contradictions and the violence in indian people. The people reply with hate against other religions, but and the hindu caste….why no have a word? The “father of India constituition” become a Buddhist. It is the real effect of Hindutva…tolerate the violence against the indian of inferior class.

More from Saif Ahmad Khan

By Deepak Kumar

By Anshu Banga

By Prabhanu Kumar Das