This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Neelabjo Mukherjee. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

10 Reasons Why Dictatorship Is The Only Way Out For India

More from Neelabjo Mukherjee

By Neelabjo Mukherjee:

It’s been more than sixty-five years since India achieved independence. The effort, toil, blood and passion of our respected freedom fighters gave us the India of today. It was their ultimate dream to craft a nation whose members were free and an integral part of the country’s decision making. The Indian democracy with its much detailed Constitution was a result of their dream. Sixty-five years on, India might be free and those running the nation might be the elected representatives of the masses, but India continues to be plagued by the same old problems of poverty, economic inequality, illiteracy, population, widespread corruption and the same old socio-economic issues. It is perhaps the time of an able, strong-minded, powerful dictator to take hold of the country and cleanse the entire system. Here is a look at 10 reasons why this might prove effective for the country:-

– Dictatorship will breed development though straightforward decision making: A dictator being the all powerful head of the state will face no opposition from other parties as in a democracy. He will thus have complete freedom to execute his decisions which might breed development.

– Better control the variables of human development: One of the biggest examples is China (a Communist country) where the population has been brought under control by the government, through the one-child norm policy which is virtually impossible in the Indian democracy.

– Dictatorship is a more economic institution: In a country like India where poverty is a lingering problem, it is but a luxury to spend lakhs on a single election. Dictatorship is thus a far more economic institution.

– Dictatorships regimes can be a path for countries to move on from civil wars and focus on development: China can be used as an example yet again, as the country has been almost absolutely insulated from wars and terrorist attacks.

– Dictatorships have flexibility in economic policy that breeds growth: Democracy can often stagnate economic development. An example is West Bengal where the Tata group could not establish their factory in Singur due to stiff resistance from the opposition party in the government.

– Dictatorship helps achieve social stability: Yes it does.

– The longer lasting and biggest economic miracles have occurred under dictatorships : An example is Hitler’s reign in Germany. “The Nazis came to power in Germany in 1933, at a time when its economy was in total collapse, with ruinous war-reparation obligations and zero prospects for foreign investment or credit. Yet through an independent monetary policy of sovereign credit and a full-employment public-works program, the Third Reich was able to turn a bankrupt Germany, stripped of overseas colonies it could exploit, into the strongest economy in Europe within four years, even before armament spending began.”

– Dictatorship breeds order: In a country like India where law and order is disrupted time and again, dictatorship is definitely going to help out. Even in the 21st century Indian women are vulnerable and rape and molestation cases are reported throughout the country from upscale Delhi to the remote villages of Burdwan. India needs a really strong leader who can make the country safe enough for our women to move around fearlessly, with their heads held high.

– Dictators have incentives to promote development and diminish social differences: A lot of readers might still be optimistic enough to feel that democracy will spell better days for India, but as a youth frustrated with the current situation of my country I feel that we really need a change and dictatorship may just be the way out for a better, brighter India.

1. Raj

ROFL = Rolling on the floor laughing, is my reaction. Our country is in a mess because of our socialist rules and regulations and your solution is more of it.

1) Dictatorship will breed development only for himself and his cronies and for no one else.He will work for his own personal interests like Hitler (who waged wars to conquer Europe and kill Jews) and Stalin(who killed millions to destroy the so-called elites)

2) Why 1 child policy? How about a negative 1 child policy , where the dictator starts committing genocide to bring down population? And there are many more countries that have a low birth rate without ever resorting to such measures like 1 child policy. What about that?

3) An economic institution for whom? History has shown that dictators spend tons of public money on themselves and their ideologies, including waste spending like that on the Taj Mahal to Nazi monuments

4) China is insulated from terrorists attacks because it doesn’t try and fight militarily nor does it try and poke its nose in other countries’ affairs. And many more democracies are there which do not have insurgencies and terrorism.

5) Dictatorships may (like in Nazi Germany and USSR) or may not(like all over Africa) breed development. But free enterprise capitalism unfailingly does.

6) It may or may not.

7) The 3rd Reich was built on the shoulders of slave labour and it lasted for barely 15 years. USSR too collapsed in 70 years. Any more examples?
    And yet I can give numerous counter-examples like the mission to moon, the atom bomb etc. which was accomplished by a largely free market capitalist democracy called USA

8) It may not breed order like in Africa

9) Dictators have no such incentives. In fact quite the opposite, they need a bogey man to keep the population occupied in fighting an enemy. Hitler blamed the Jews, Stalin blamed the capitalists, Saddam blamed the Iranians, African dictators blame rival tribes and so on.

10 ) Dictators also might know how to count but if they can’t they could always create their own counting system and enforce it 🙂

1. neelabjo

I agree that some of your points are truly valid.But i would like to counter some of them as i feel your opinion is a little biased.
      1)You are right that Hitler or Stalin worked for their own personal interests.But what about someone like Kemal Ataturk who inspite of being a dictator has gone down in history as a liberal reformer.
      2)You ask me why one-child policy right?Well my only answer to it is India’s present population is 1.241 billion and i repeat 1.241 billion.Enough said.
      3)Well its an economic institution because lakhs or sorry,crores are spent every other year behind holding elections.Secondly talking about Taj Mahal,Shah Jahan might have spent a huge amount back in 1653 but till date,thousands of tourists come to India only and only because of this iconic monument.The amount of revenue this has generated in the sector of tourism is unprecedented.
      4),5) and 6) I more or less agree.
      7)I can definitely give the example of Kemal Ataturk who brought about numerous economic reforms.
      As far as the rest are concerned i have already explained in my article.Nonetheless thank you so much for reading this article and posting your valuable opinion.Means a lot.Thank you. 🙂

2. Raj

1) Sure, and there have been some good kings and dictators too. But not all of them. And in any case from a moral stand-point why would I support a even a what appears to be a good dictatorship knowing that it may or may not serve my needs or even the society’s needs. I would rather want to manage my own affairs.

2) So? India’s population isn’t the main issues, the issue is that they are unproductive. There are far more densely populated countries in the world but they do really well because they have a very productive population.
      And even if India’s population was 10 times more, it still would be immoral to forcefully restrict birth rates or to kill people to reduce the population

3) What right did Shah Jahan have to spend public money on a private whim like that? He did not build it as a tourist attraction but as a private moseluem for his wife. When Mayawati erected her statues, she gets blasted. If a private firm like Walt Disney builds Disneyworld as a tourist attraction, no problems! But how would you react to use Walt Disney using public funds to build the same?

And regarding the money spent on elections, on a per capita basis, it isn’t much given that they are held every few years. Far more waste comes from running a large Govt. which must be cut to size.

7) Once again, Kemal is an outlier, the resume’s of vast majority of dictators are crappy. Yet there are many countries who have achieved all those things without the need of any kind of dictatorship

3. neelabjo

1)You,as an educated individual might be capable of managing your own affairs and you might be capable of selecting the best choice from amongst the representatives.But you forget that a major chunk of this countrys population is uneducated and hence easily swayed by our corrupt politicians.
      Secondly,i think you must have read Julius Caesar.If you remember Act 1,Scene 1 from this play ,there Shakespeare very skillfully depicts the fact that the common public or the masses are extremely fickle minded and hence easily,swayed by the speeches of manupulative politicians who are often skillful orators.So isnt it dangerous to yield power to the comon public?
      2)I agree that more than the population density,their productivity is more important.But has the Indian government done anything really fruitful in the field of education?Year after year thousands of youths go on to graduates only to remain unemployed.But the government role has left a lot to be asked for as far as this issue is concerned.
      3)Well Shah Jahan had as much right to spend money on a whim as the Indian government had on spending a filthy amount of money for the Comonwealth games.
      7)Kemal may be an outlier but dude,exceptions only prove a law(if you know what I mean).. :)..Lastly i would like to rephrase what i said by saying that dictatorship is definitely not the “only” way out for India but it “can” be a way out given the countrys present condition. 🙂

4. Raj

1) It s very elitist of you to suggest that since I am “educated” I can chart my own destiny. Poor uneducated people are in fact extremely smart when it comes to surviving and improving their lot, if allowed to. The can do very well without Govt. programmes, as long as they are given the freedom to do so and not subjected to some sort of oppressive system, be it the zamindari system or the license-quota raj or the naxalites.
      You are thinking too much about who gets elected and who doesn’t . I am saying it shouldn’t matter much as long as the Govt. remains small and doesn’t do anything beyond maintaining law and order.
      People can be swayed no doubt, but that doesn’t mean you take away power from them and concentrate it in the hands of the so-called “educated” elites who will decide for all. Instead the Govt. should simply concentrate on prevent any party from using violence or threats and enforce mutually agreed contracts. All else is secondary.

2) The Govt. should privatize all schools and give school vouchers of some value to kids (below 18 yrs) since they are minors. And nothing beyond that is necessary, certainly not higher education. The reason why education in India largely sucks is because it is treated as a charity and non-profit. I question that. It should be a business and free market should be allowed to take care of the education needs of the country. Also the current scenario of heavily subsidizing education and rampant regulations is distorting the market prices and isn’t allowing the private enterprises to effectively operate.
      Just recently there was a nice article about how some teachers have started teaching slum kids under flyovers. Now I don’t think they should squat on public property like that but I like the concept of no-frill bare basic schools. But do you think the education board will recognize these schools? No , these “educated” bureaucrats have their own ideas of how many classrooms a school should have or what the salaries should be. But these no-frill bare basic schools is what the country really needs and poor students do flock to it. Yet Govt. regulation prevents such innovations.

3) I agree, the Govt. should stop funding all sports, sporting events and other such entertainments. Let the private sector do it. After all, we have amazing private sector funding for some sports like cricket, because that is what people enjoy. If some sports do not get that much funding, it is because people don’t enjoy them. So be it. But nobody has the right to waste tax-payers money on such entertainments.

4) It can be , but the chances are remote. Given the number of kings and dictators that have come and gone, very few have actually done something worthwhile. Vast majority were crap. And even the few like Ashoka who did some general welfare, but mind you he also burned a few 100 women of his harem. Would you tolerate that for any of our politicians? No! We’d hang him straight away, even if he did amazing public service. But somehow Ashoka is Ashoka the Great.

5. Neelabjo Mukherjee

1)I cant agree with your statement that “They can do very well without Govt. programmes, as long as they are given the freedom to do so “.Our poor villagers have been exploited time and again by money lenders and middlemen in our villages primarily because their lack of basic knowledge and mathematics makes them very easy to dupe and fool.Secondly,Government programmes like say the BPL card has been misused by even those who do not fall under the BPL scheme.In these circumstances dont you think that having a strong leader and an able system of administration might just make things work out?
      2)I dont think privatizing education would be such a great option because the primary focus should be on decreasing the number of dropouts each and every year.Secondly introducing school vouchers sounds impractical in todays India because in all probability it will also be misused by the not-so-poor just like the BPL card.
      3)I totally agree.
      4)True.But From Ashoka to Akbar to Kemal Ataturk,these kings and rulers have brought in a phenomenal change in their regimes.I somehow believe that instead of having too many cooks to spoil the broth a single ruler can work far more efficiently and with international organisations like UN working today its highly improbable that a dictator would spell the same kind of trouble as say Hitler or Mussolini.

6. Raj

1) Middle-men and money-lenders exist because large retail firms(Walmart included) and large banks can’t reach to them due to all the regulations. We do not allow corporate farming which would eliminate a lot of these issues since all these money/salary issues would be handled by the HR and Finance department, just like it is handled in factories.

And, concepts like money and interest are understood remarkably well even by the poorest of the poorest. Even so, NGOs and Charity trusts can take up this issue of educating and making fair loans. But I don’t think the Govt. should do this since it is not in the private interest of the officials administering these programs . They care least if it works or fails.

And regarding the BPL scheme , Govt. should stop that too. If necessary it can do direct cash transfers or give vouchers which can be used at any private kirana stores and redeemed later by those stores. But strictly no fair price shops that sell below market prices.
      And dictators regularly use hunger as a weapon by starving entire populations for punishment, like Stalin did in the 50s and what is currently happening in Africa.

2) No, I want school vouchers for everybody below 18 yrs, including Ambani’s son!!! The value of the voucher is fixed, say 1000 Rs per month. The private players can price their education at whatever rate they want. Ambani’s son can use the voucher at his posh school which charges 30,000 per month, thus effectively paying only 29,000 per month. But a poor child can go to his village Msterji’s house and get educated there at 1200 Rs per month, here effectively paying 200 Rs per month

And drop-outs occur due to a variety of reasons including bad teachers. And when each school going child is worth a revenue stream of at least 1000 Rs per month, you’ll have the private sector begging students to stay in school, running ads about all the amazing career options etc.. I’m not saying this is fool-proof and wherever you have such subsidies, you need to monitor for discrepancies. But see the alignment of interests. In the long-term it is in the best interest of the private parties to provide best possible education at a certain affordable price since (quality will be different obviously since Masterji can’t provide a gym and all) and keep the students in school.

4) We had the League of Nations when Hitler rose to power and walked out. So did the Imperial Japanese Empire, and both fought the most vicious war ever WW2. And even the USA (not a dictator-ruled country but the President can start wars even if not approved by the Congress) ignored UN and invaded Iraq.

7. neelabjo

I can only say that all your ideas do sound pretty hunky-dory on pen and paper but at the end of the day,execution and implementation is where everything falls apart,specially in India.Its not that all our politicians have been corrupt but despite “the few good men” in Indian politics,their policies have been marred,destroyed and ruined by the existing corruption which has trickled down to every nook and corner of the country.I still continue to feel that a strong ruler and an able system of administration is the prerquisite for todays India,although i do agree that dictatorship is risky,in the sense that if it works it can create wonders and if it fails then it can spell doom for all our countrymen.At the end of the day despite our conflicting ideas and conceptions,the good thing is that we all have debated on this platform and thought in our very own way for the betterment of our nation.That we,the youth, love this nation and think for its betterment is something that very encouragingly comes out from this conversation.
      Lastly,Raj its been great exchanging ideas with you and its been truly an enriching experience.Hope you continue to read my other articles and post your opinions.Thank you once again. 🙂

8. Raj

My ideas are not really mine, they come from the likes of FA Hayek, Milton Friedman and even some of the Founding Fathers of the USA. And they have worked brilliantly in places like USA, Hong Kong, Singapore even parts of Europe.
      Corruption is an effect of a system that does not respect the individual and personal initiative. It is not inherent to any race or culture as such but is a product of rules and regulations.
      Dictatorship is an extreme form of socialism, which is what I am against. You can’t solve corruption by adding more of the same that caused it. Dictatorship is a very risky and unstable proposition
      Yes it was great discussing these issues with you. Keep writing!

2. Chirag Aidasani

Lol you have pointed out all the things I wanted to say 😛

Except for the 4th point on China – On the contrary the Chinese have been poking a lot into other countries affairs.Not only India but the whole of democratic South east Asia is fed up with the Chinese aggression.The Philippines , Japan , South Korea , Taiwan etc is all under the Chinese pressure and China faces no wars because nobody has the guts to face China as it is obviously the second most powerful Military power in the world and has the largest army in numbers.

And for the author who keeps out pointing China , id like you to visit China.I have and you will see how repressed the people are.How would you like it if the Government controls mostly all aspects of your life even your occupation and if you go against it you will be officially executed.Press has no freedom and social networking doesn’t exist at all.The official number of executions carried by the Chinese government far exceeds the executions all over the world combined and that is just officially.Unofficially the number is predicted to be many times the number of reported executions.

Yes India is not exactly in a good state but the democracy grows with the people.Today many of the people are illiterate and don’t know the value of their vote as is the case with the educated class.But change will come albeit slowly and orderly.The country will change when we all start changing and demanding but that will take a long time.But when that time will come it will be worth it as then we will have freedom and we would have achieved that development democratically.

Just to summarize – The quickest route is not always the best one.

1. Raj

No not really. At least since the reforms in the 80s, China has stopped militarily fighting other countries. Unlike the USA which actively sends troops to fight here and there, China does none of it. Without a doubt China has become very dominating but it is throwing its weight around economically, not militarily.
      As for India, yes we have Pakistan to deal with, but they aren’t the main reason for our backwardness. We don’t spend that much money on defence per capita compared to a lot of other countries. Yes there are terrorist attacks but they don’t that much damage as you’d think. Far more damage is being done by our Govt. and its policies.
      The reason why China does so well is (apart from having a 15 year headstart) is because it has allowed free market capitalism into its economy and not because it has a dictatorship. We had all kinds of rules and regulations which prevented companies (start-ups and MNCs) from entering our closed markets which were dominated by crony capitalists like Bajaj and Birlas. China did away with them for their SEZs and has even allowed Walmart to enter. We too can do this and prosper just like so many (Hong Kong, Singapore, EU countries after WW2) countries have done in the recent past.

2. CHirag Aidasani

yes it has stopped fighting directly but it has not stopped Flexing its muscle on every issue.Look at the recent South China sea issue.And China is highly involved in other countries affairs especially the neighbors of India.They are involved in Nepal , Bangladesh , Sri Lanka , and now Maldives.The premiere of Maldives goes to China and openly makes a statement that unlike some other regional power (India of cource) ,China is a responsible one(Not the exact quotation).

And rest all I am on the same page with you.It was only your 4th point I disagreed on. 🙂

3. Raj

@Chirag : Sure I’m not saying they aren’t flexing their muscles, but unlike the USA they are keeping out of wars and conflicts. Even with India, they avoid fighting since we import so much from them.

4. neelabjo

Chirag you say “Today many of the people are illiterate and don’t know the value of their vote as is the case with the educated class.”..That is precisely my point.Isnt it dangerous to wield power to the masses only to be fooled,duped,deceived,hoodwinked and tricked year after year by these corrupt,deceitful politicians with their false promises?

3. Satish Chandra

Are you even serious !!! You might want to consider all dictators not just Hiltler !! And anyway what’s this obsession with development ?? And for whom exactly ?
    And what’s the guarantee that this Mr. All Powerfull and Benevolent is what you claim he is !!! Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely !!!

1. neelabjo

Mr.Chandra you ask me about this obsession for development right?..Well for the matter ,you or I might be sitting in our air conditioned shelters and expressing our opinions on such high-brow issues but there remains a huge number of people in this very country who have no access to electricity,light, food or a proper shelter..There are thousands of poor villagers in this very country who die because they do not have a single hospital in their proximity..There are thousands who die out of malnutrition each and every year in this very democracy..It is but for them hat i believe development is definitely THE need for the day
      These poor souls turn up on every other election day to vote for their representatives in the hope of obtaining a better,brighter life.But year after year their hopes have been shattered,broken and ruined by these corrupt leaders of our democracy who have duped and fooled them with their false promises..It is in this context that i felt a strong leader or a dictator might just propel India towards better days..

4. nihalparashar

You seriously wrote an article on this!
    Each and every point only suggest that you hardly have any idea of world politics and you can see only through a coloured lens. Why do not people like you talk about TAR (Tibet Autonomous Region) in China? What about a million Tibetans who were killed? More even what about 6 million HUMANS whom Hitler killed?
    Development is a good and sexy word. And dictators manipulate it. Bigger question is DEVELOPMENT FOR WHOM?
    Bottom Line:
    You could write an article on dictatorship and got it published because of the deep rooted democratic values of the people in this society. There were few people like you who advocated Democracy under Hitler and PRC (People’s Republic of China). We do not have anything from them to read. Oh, wait. They were never allowed to speak! Go talk about the development bullshit with them!

1. neelabjo

I agree with all of you that dictatorships have spelt disaster in Hitler’s Germany or Mussolini’s Italy.But is the situation in today’s India anything less than that?Aren’t our Daminis and Aruna Shaunbags raped,killed and humiliated every other day in this Indian democracy?Hasnt corruption absolutely ruined and shatered the entire system?Isn’t poverty still a lingering problem even in this 21st century?Weren’t our citizens victims of party politics in the Gujarat riots or the Babri Masjid incident?Haven’t our Rushdies and Nasreens been driven out of this so-called democracy?
      I know many of might have radically different opinions and i totally respect that.Nonetheles thanks a lot for reading up this article and posting your valuable opinions.Means a lot.Thank you. 🙂

2. Raj

How can you say our state of affairs is worse than those African dictatorships where far more rapes happen. India today has a rather low homicide rate in the world, which has been falling over the past 2 decades.
      Corruption comes primarily from having a welfare state and large bureaucracy and removing it is one of the best ways to overcome corruption.
      Poverty has been drastically reduced and the process can be accelerated if we embrace free markets and remove most rules and regulations, which make only the big corrupt fat cats to be the only players and leaves the poor out of the game.
      We have a bad law and order situation because we concentrate on running a socialist welfare state and neglect law, order and justice. We don’t need a dictator, we just need to get our priorities straight. Even a dictator won’t be able to do anything about such events if he doesn’t have a strong law and order situation

3. neelabjo

See,I totally agree with your last sentence that we need a strong law and order system..But sadly as many as 31% MPs and MLAs have criminal cases pending against them in police record and 48% are crorepatis, according to a study done by the National Election Watch (NEW) and Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR).So don’t you feel that removing corruption and reinstating will remain a dream or a fantasy in a country where 31% of those who run the country are themselves corrupt.?..Don’t you think its dangerous to wield power to the masses,a huge chunk of whom are uneducated, only to be fooled,duped,deceived,hoodwinked and tricked year after year by these corrupt,deceitful politicians with their false promises?

4. neelabjo

*reinstating law and order

5. Raj

They are corrupt because we have given so much power to our socialist Govt. . The aim has to be decentralize their power by abolishing most ministries and removing most rules and regulations. Yes, power must be given to the citizens (rich or poor, educated or uneducated) to chart their own destinies by such adopting the above measures and not by simply giving them a vote.
      But what you suggest is the complete opposite i.e. to have absolute power vested in the Government i.e. the most extreme form of socialism. That will only (apart from a few rare exceptions) make things worse.

6. neelabjo

See with a full stomach and an air conditioned shelter ,development will be nothing other than bullshit for you..But for that dying villager running from one government hospital to the other or that famished young student running from door to door to procure his academic expenses,development means a lot ,lot more than bullshit..For you development might be nothing more than a good and a sexy word but for them development and only development can transform their lives from this state of misery.
      And as far as curbing creative freedom is concerned ,the Hussains or the Rushdies or the Nasreens were literally driven out from this very democracy despite the so-called ” deep rooted democratic values of the people in this society”.You might have a huge deal of knowledge about “world politics” and I respect you for that :)..But if possible try and gauge the situation of the country that you live in,try and empathize with the thousands in this country who fail to procure two square meals per day,try and sympathize with that 5 year old in your so called democracy who was raped by a group of goons with “deep rooted democratic values”.Nonetheless thank you so much for reading this article and posting your worthy opinion.Thank you so much 🙂 :).

7. neelabjo

The above coment was in reply to nihalparashar 🙂

8. Raj

Why is the dying villager running to Govt. hospitals? Because he is poor since he is closed off from the economy by all the rules and regulations and red tape. Why is he running to a Govt. hospital? Because private healthcare is saddled with all kinds of rules and regulations, which prevents private entities from establishing their practice, bring in competition and bring down the prices. Why are the Govt. hospitals so pathetic? Because there is no profit motive involved in any of the officials or doctors in that hospital, just bribes and illegal private practices They will get paid regardless of how many die or live, how many pay or don’t pay.
      Why is that student running around for expenses? Because of all kinds of rules and regulations which a) prevent private enterprises from delivering education and b) Because jobs require you to have all kinds of degrees which may or may not be relevant to the job c) He is unable to start his own firm because of all kinds of rules and regulations
      Also important to mention here is the cartelization by the educated elites who through things like regulated payscales, unions and regulation (degrees and certifications) prevent lesser qualified people from getting jobs at lower pay. i.e. if a company wants to hire a 12th pass student for a computer science job for half pay, it will face the wrath of the other employees who have professional degrees and earning more

Development will transform, but it has to be a bottom-up approach not a top down approach you are advocating.

9. neelabjo

So you do you agree that Development is necessary and not necessarily bullshit as comented by Mr.Nihal .:-P

10. Raj

I believe that vast majority of the development has to come from private entities, be they the poor farmer with his mall piece of land or the MNCs. The Govt. shouldn’t take development task on their heads, they should concentrate on maintaining law and order and running the justice systems. Obviously it can undertake some very basic national-level infrastructure planning like zoning roads and paying for them but pretty much everything else should be decentralized. City roads should be zoned and run by the city councils (which themselves should be small) but built and maintained by the pvt sector. The farther the decision-makers are removed from the actual site of the issue, the less they care.

11. neelabjo

True.But the private sector has no place for those who are unskilled or semi-skilled.For that vast chunk of Indias population the government has to take the responsibility.Maybe they should give out something like employment dole which is the system in various foreign countries.The employment exchange system also needs a major clean-up.
      The privatisation idea can definitely work out but one has to remember that not all corporate agencies care for social welfare.At the end of the day privatisation might ensure economic growth but we need all round economic development which needs participation from both the government and the private sector.

12. Raj

If someone is a skilled labourer, the Govt. will ignore him and not give me any benefits. But if he was unskilled, the Govt. would have taken care of him and supported him. Basically if he crosses a certain income threshold, the Govt. will withdraw his benefits. What kind of logic is that?

Now coming to the issue of unskilled laborers, they themselves will take the responsibility to become skilled since it helps them to earn more. Who will train them? The first and foremost would be the corporations who are hiring them. Why? Because if there is a small pool of skilled laborers, their salaries will shoot through the roof. To increase the pool and thus bring down the salaries, the same corporations will give them on the job training. Beyond that there are educational institutes who can train them for a fee or even a single retired skilled worker can do the same (assuming that there are no rules and regulations deciding how many toilets the institute has etc.). Not to mention NGOs and charities who are genuinely motivated to do social welfare. But certainly not the Govt. bureaucrat. who gets paid regardless of who gets educated and who doesn’t. There is no incentive for him to improve the system nor is there any incentive to save money and economize, since that would mean a lower budget for him the next year.

I don’t think any corporation should primarily care about social welfare. Their focus should be on sustaining themselves within the framework of law. Corporations by themselves have no money of their own. Everything paisa they have belongs to someone.There are people own the corporations and/or get paid by them. These people must do social welfare with that money for whatever causes they see fit.

13. neelabjo

I guess you missed out my point on employment exchange.For those who are already skilled or educated the employment exchange system has to function efficiently like it does in numerous foreign countries.
      A major problem with democracy is the widespread opposition from the other end as for example the Singur incident.
      The Singur factory would have not only roped in skilled workers,but also trained the unskilled or semi skilled and various other small scale,ancillary industries would have developed around it.This would have been in sync with the model that you just suggested.
      But we all know what happened to Singur or various other plans and projects which had been planned out for execution.

14. Raj

1) The employment exchange can be privately run like Naukri.com or through contractors. But I was talking about the monthly dole for the unemployed. Should only the poorest be given? I say everyone should be given even the rich.

2) The Singrur project was a sick form of crony capitalism in which the CPM at the behest of TATA made sure the land would be acquired. Is this facility available to the ordinary entrepreneur who wants so much land? Don’t the farmers have rights too?
      TATA should have paid the full price for the farmers who owned the land and bought it with their consent. The only proper function of the Govt. would be to ensure neither party cheated or used threats. There was no need for the Govt. to interfere from the TATAs side nor the farmer’s side.

3) Public institutes are very inefficient and a waste of public money. Obviously they will have better infrastructure since the Govt. can put a gun to your head and steal your money (through taxation) to rear these white elephants. I DARE the Govt. to build institutes by raising money through the market either by selling shares or taking loans, just like the private sector institutes do. It is not a level playing field for the private institutes who not only can’t match the subsidized fees of public institues but also have to deal with rules and regulations.
      Give me a free land and a grant of 20 lakhs per month and my tea stall will sell the best tea in the area. Such waste is indefensible!

4) ISB, BITS-Pilani etc. are excellent private institutions. FIITJEE, Brilliants, Narayana etc. give excellent engineering coaching. And all these compete in the private market without Govt. backing or without stealing money from you. Private schools also do the same too.
      And who says private colleges have bad infrastructure? Most of them have good infrastructure. Don’t just look at the white elephants IIMs and IITs, also look at those Govt. colleges in Bihar and North East.

Remember, the Govt. earns nothing on its own. It has the power of taxation and it takes your money. It does not use it efficiently at all since there is no incentive to do so. It can sell you quality education very cheaply because it uses your money to subsidize it not because it uses efficient practices to lower the intrinsic cost. But the real price of the education is much higher and is reflected by the market price of education at the private colleges.

15. neelabjo

Dude,for the matter i read in the one of the best private engineering colleges in West Bengal.When i say best private engineering college I do mean it and anyone associated with engineering studies in Bengal will unanimously agree.My college is at par with the government colleges as far as academics are concerned.Even in this market all students obtain a placement(a proper placement) but somehow inspite of everything i personally feel it does not match the standards of the best two government colleges in my city.The reason being they are the oldest institutions in my State and have acquired such a brand name that its difficult for even the oldest private college of the state to match up.Even a layman without any knowledge of engineering is aware of those two colleges.Inspite of all that my college along with say 8-9 more engg colleges in Bengal manage to make the cut.
      But there are so so many other private colleges in this very State whose condition is simply pathetic.The condition is somewhat similar in most other states with a similar number of not-so-good pvt colleges and their students who are educated and yet unemployed.In this situation something needs to be done with our govt colleges so that unworthy students do not obtain seats on virtue of reservation while those who are truly talented bite the dust.

16. neelabjo

For those who are skilled we already have an existing employment exchange system which works efficiently in various economies.But in India petty party politics has destroyed this system.It is just the same case for various educational institutions,both government and private.
      Rather than setting up an entirely new infrastructure its more practical to clean up the existing structure through a strong ruler.Infrastructure is the reason why most students opt for governmental educational institutions instead of private colleges because an age old institution despite its shortcomings definitely has a certain value.A private college may have posh cafeterias and air conditioned rooms but it can never match up to the standards of various existing government colleges.It is just that one needs to cleanse up the system from the existing wrongdoing and malpractice.
      Secondly coming to the industrialization point I would again like to remind you of Singur where the Tata factory had to drop their whole idea because of the opposition party existing in our esteemed Democracy.The factory would have definitely given jobs to the skilled,trained the unskilled or semi-skilled and ushered in various other ancillary small scale industries.But due to political opposition the whole project had to be stalled.\ and mind you Singur is not a one-of incident.Various other projects undertaken by private organisations have faced opposition time and again
      This is the very reason why i feel that a one mans rule might just enable the country to grow and thwart all those obstacles blocking its way.

17. Raj

I am not saying there are no bad private colleges. But when a private college is bad, it doesn’t run well, makes losses and closes down. The losses are limited to those who paid the fees and the guy who started it loses his money. Teachers too unfortunately lose their jobs. The fault could have been theirs for teaching badly or just unfortunately for being associated with a bad management. But the good teachers will find employment elsewhere. In short private businesses are unsustainable and die soon.

But when a public college is bad, the tax payers lose and keep losing money. Students don’t lose much money but they are given crappy education and waste time. The corrupt officials and lazy teachers keep GAINING more money! Yes these people are encouraged and subsidized. Good teachers get disgusted and leave since they feel cheated and punished for being good teachers! And this never ends. The damage is far far greater not just in terms of productivity but also in terms of the values that our society cherishes (i.e. hard work , dedication , honesty etc.)

A perfect analogical example would be Air India. Had it been private, it would have died out long back. But no, we have to keep subsidizing them and provide welfare for them

18. neelabjo

You have a point..But don’t you feel that it would be far better to improve the situation of an old,reputed government college with a pre-existing infrastructure?
      For the matter plenty of government institutions had gone on to make a mark in the field of education but their standards have gone down in recent times mainly due to the political clout in education.Staying in Kolkata i can provide plenty of examples of some of the best colleges in the city whose standards have gone down just because of petty party politics.Similarly i can give you examples of various private colleges with great infrastructure and extremely high fees which have failed to provide the right kind of education.Even private colleges,thou fewer,have instances of political clout on campus.
      In this situation don’t you feel that getting rid of so many parties with their ever increasing number of conflicts can cleanse our educational institutions?

19. Raj

Yes they can be improved through privatization or at least give them more autonomy and less funding and deregulate their fees and payscales. Let them learn to stand on their feet.
      But when you have the Govt. funding education, obviously political parties will be able to have a clout. Obviously students will come to participate in wasteful activities rather than studying.
      And why do political parties have so much clout? Because not only do they control so much money when their party is in power , but also corporations fund them because they can effect laws in their favor. Remove the need to obtain permits, licenses and regulations , and automatically opportunistic funding for political parties will go down

And once again, regarding private colleges, if they are not subsidized or propped up by restrictive permits and licenses(which politicians/bureaucrats only can give them), they can do very little damage. Because, like I said, they shut down pretty fast if they don’t deliver since no private entity in its right mind will waste money on a venture that doesn’t deliver.

And charging high fees, why are private colleges not able to charge low fees? Because of these regulations which unnecessarily increase the price of education but also keeps competition out. And not everybody needs the same type of education. A lot of people are better off doing relevant part-time courses and on-the-job training or apprenticeships. They need not waste time and earning-potential sitting in colleges and doing useless courses which may not be in line with their future career prospects.

5. R Kabah

Do you seriously, really, believe this?

1. neelabjo

I guess I have already stated my opinion in my article and the consequent comments.I do agree with you and the rest of the readers that dictatorship has spelled trouble in Hitlers Germany or Mussolini’s Italy,although kings and rulers like Akbar or Kemal Ataturk have proven otherwise.
      But going by the state of affairs in today’s India i felt that we needed a strong,able ruler.In a country where protests and justice starts and ends with candle marches and black dots as profile pictures.I felt that we genuinely need a leader and a visionary who can work independently to sculpt a newer,better India.I believe that in a country where everything starting sports(read IPL) down to government policies is shrouded corruption a clean-up is urgently required.In this democracy there may be many MPs and MLAs with the right intention but there are plenty of others in the same Parliament(where notably 31% has a prior criminal record) who are there to oppose their plans and ideas(for example the FDI) .There are MPs and MLAs in the same Parliament who make atrocious comments after an incident like the Delhi rape case.I dont feel comfortable when I think that my country is in the hands of such people.
      It is in this very context of today’s India that i came up with such an idea. Apparently plenty of readers seem to think otherwise and i do respect that 🙂 .
      But inspite of everything i feel impatient when i see my country heading towards nowhere.I feel impatient and perturbed when the value of the dollar becomes equal to 60.01 Indian rupees.I feel perturbed when a single litre of petrol goes on to cost 76 rupees.I feel perturbed when most of m,y fellow Indians survive on puffed rice and saag because rice,dal and vegetables have become way too costly.I feel perturbed when the widows in Benaras have to die unwanted,abandoned every other day because of the governments negligence.I feel perturbed when the women of country are disrespected and humiliated every other day.I feel even more disturbed when thousands post their status updates on Facebook expressing their concern but do nothing and absolutely nothing to change the countrys situation.
      My idea might not sound as cool or hunky-dory on pen and paper but believe me all the ideas that you all propose have come up time and again in various government and NGO meetings only, to end up in nothing.Wearing branded clothes and munching five-star goodies we only end up discussing,discussing and yes we only keep discussing because at the end of the day things rarely work out.
      I do believe that something radical and out of the box is the need of the day.I know that its risky but its better to take a gamble and try out something different than surviving in this mess for years to come.

2. sg02

i enjoyed all the clash and exchange of words.. about believing this.. we Indians don’t want dictatorship. That’s what everyone is trying to establish? right?
      try considering this angle: the Indians have been slaves for 200 years! it is a very long time! and we have to catch up with the world (also we dream of becoming super power someday.. what a joke!) with such diversity, the rate of progress is evident! if a child after growing up in a suppressed environment, suddenly gets to experience freedom, he will not know what to do with it. how to use. he must have a credible guide to help him out. the author has not talked about negative points of dictatorship, but a hypothetical, positive one. there is no harm in letting one credible person lead us. (the author has tried to give the desirable qualities.)
      we need to accept it that yes! we desperately need a leader. a common national leader. a leader with a vision and the strength to realize it. see how people rushed to support anna hazare. so, i wouldn’t mind agreeing with the author, that good nationalist dictatorship for the next decade may benefit us. but of course, such a dictator can exist only in imagination, as does the great Indian democracy and freedom!

3. neelabjo

Yes,absolutely..:

6. Giri Nandhan

well, everything written here in right. but what if the leader starts to corrupt himself ? we can’t compare a real democracy with an ideal dictatorship.

1. mia turnbull

hey!! i have a debate coming up you people would be perfect to help ! 😀 we are against the montion that india need a patriotic dictator to emerge as a super power.we can come up with so much of points only. could you like help. thanls! 😀

2. DA

i wish luck for your real democratic system..and for this country

7. FEF

MOST IMPORTANTLY WEE NEED TO KICK OUT A TON OF ILLEGAL MUSLIM PIGS FROM OUR COUNTRY

8. Anonymous

India is never fit to rule. The best rulers of India were all foreign. Like the Mughals, and the British, the Portuguese & the French. Indians of true ancestry easily succumb to corruption. They only think about themselves. Indians are too self-centered. Even there is a dictator of Indian descent, he or she will be more interested in accumulating personal wealth than overseeing the economic development, this is not different from today’s democratic scenario, except that in the case of democracy we have some chance & hope to keep the bad guys in power in rotation.

I think India has a potential to be far more advanced than China, economically. But I also think that India will never tap into its potential because the problem with India is that is it full of Indians. Many cities in India still use the roads built by the British Raj, & haven’t developed it one bit. Our train network can be credited to the Raj again. Our icon Taj Mahal is a feat of Mughal architecture, not Indian but Mughal. We often look upon it with pride and consider it to be our own accomplishment, but that is far from the truth. Truth is it was designed and built by the Mughal invaders, as are many other things, such as our food especially non-vegetarian cuisine, our national language (Hindi) came from Urdu which was created as a language for troops in Indian during the 13th Century – a mixture of Khari Boli, Arabic, Persian & Turkish. In 1947 after Indian independence, it was written in the Devnagiri script & provided Sanskrit nouns to give it a distinct national identity.

1. NOTAnonymous

foreign were the “Best rulers”? what about The Marathas,Chola empire,Maurya empire?.. they were doing pretty well.. i

It isn’t that Indians are not fit to rule its just that Indians were never allowed to rule.. they were always put in constant turmoil and cultural disruptions but it was still manageable until British came and siphoned its wealth to England starving millions to death and leaving a country where they ruled for 200+ years and kept them under poverty&illiteracy which has unfortunately led to a country of melting pot of diversity.

We don’t have to credit ANYONE for anything.. we Indians are more than capable of doing wonders proven by our ancient history of art,science&literature! hell our ancient temples and indus valley monuments are way more grandiose and awe inspiring than a petty tomb like taj mahal and it may have been Mughal architecture but the workers who made that tomb were Indians.

And btw Hindi IS NOT our national language! every language in India is a national language!

9. Vicky

The problem with India is it’s full of Indians. No matter how hard you try, you will always remain a country of natural slaves and followers rather than strong leaders and individualists. Slavery and herd mentality is firmly embedded in your DNA that is why you elect dictators like Modi who’s nothing but a front for vested corporate interests. Indians really don’t like to be in control of their destiny because of ridiculous religions like Hinduism, Jainism, Vaishnavism, Buddhism etc. Even Muslims and Christians in India have an identical culture as Hindus which means many of them resort to idol worship which is one of the biggest violations of God’s commandments: any wonder why India is in the great mess it currently is.

India will always remain a filthy, stinking shithole filled with ugly people (both inside and outside) where unwanted females will continue to be aborted, most people won’t have access to indoor toilets and running water, Dalits and Shudras will continue to be treated as untouchables rather than human beings, children will be deprived of a good childhood because their parents negate their quality of life by reproducing like rabbits as they have never heard of condoms. Male sexual predators are everywhere on Indian streets ready to rape the first female who seems alone and unprotected. The youth don’t have too many job options: either work as a clerk at one of the MNC-run IT sweatshops or be a part of the gigantic scam and corruption industry which is like the largest economic activity of India.

Some of the states of India are absolute hellholes and the people coming from there are total scumbags: Utar Pradesh, Bihar, Chatisgarh, Madyha Pradhesh, Rajasthan, Orissa, Jharkand – I’ve never seen such small-minded and pessimistic, cynical, God-hating people elsewhere. Why would God extend his helpful arm to India when Indians do everything they can to offend God: bowing down before impotent human idols like Satya Sai Baba, Asaram Bapu, Nityanand Swami (a proven rapist and pedophile).

The best part is most Indians live in denial and don’t want to wake up from slumber and clean the mess. Indians are an extremely self-centered race who only care about their immediate families and clans and wouldn’t care if the rest are dying on the streets. Very few Indians donate to charitable causes and are obsessed with buying the latest smartphones, wasting money in useless trinkets, wasting time on idle activities. Really a worthless people with no contribution to humanity. Someone said that India’s contribution to world is “ZERO”..it has become something literal now and not just mathematical.

Most Indians I know of who spend their whole time in air-conditioned cabins and their little cars (who have somewhat better existence) cannot wake up and smell the coffee. India is going down the toilet drain faster than other countries in the world and in two decades time, it will become as insignificant in global affairs as say, Egypt or Algeria. With the lowest human development index (136 out of 180 countries), don’t expect miracles.

10. Akshay

This is probably why birth control exists. To ensure authors like the one who wrote this article don’t enter this world. Probably the most idiotic and uninformed rambling I have had the misfortune of coming across on the web. I sure hope the writer of this article never holds a position of power. Horrible article.

1. Alan

Please KILL YOURSELF.

2. neelabjo

Dont be so violent.Stay blessed. 🙂

3. neelabjo

Thank you so much for the valuable feedback.I really appreciate it.:)

11. Shekhar

Good One..No one knows what future holds..and seing today’s political scenario..a Hindu Fascist dictatorship is destined for India in a coming decade!
    It may sound incredible,but it will happen!

1. shashank

I agree shekhar..

2. aryan00081

We need a Secular Dictatorship, One who focuses on development. Maybe we could switch to Presidential system and anhilate the Rajya Sabha.
      Since it acts as an Obstructionist.
      However we need to strengthen the secular ethos of the Indian Constitution.

12. Pavithra cariappa

I believe dictator is truely needed

13. Darth_Pedo

I complete agree with all these points. But just thinking what will be the outcome if the wrong person was given that much power is scary. It could be modeled after the Roman’s structure, but then the senate will be vulnerable to corruption and powerplay again, which is one of the reasons why we don’t like democracy in the first place.bwe could take a page from Plato’s ‘The Republic’ where the senate can be made up of ‘Guardians’ , people whose sole purpose is to help limit and control the leader’s power

1. Mehdi Zaidi

Yes, a righteous leader will be required but sadly India lack these type of leaders.

14. Anish Pant

I agree. A dictatorship is truly needed in this poverty stricken, overpopulated, economically weak and dangerously corrupt country like India. Politicians feed the public nothing but lies and in turn, they feed off the money us taxpayers pay to the government, when they come in power. Plus, they get crores of rupees in the form of black money. Not only do we need order but we need true development. Not only of the country’s infrastructure and policies but also of it’s people’s minds and their thoughts. Only a dictatorship can achieve this.

15. Anurag Khatiwara

Guess what you sadistic asshole? You wish has come true. Enjoy the honeymoon phase because right now they are persecuting someone else. Soon it will be you.

16. Anandu cs

Exactly my thoughts I am fed up with this in efficient democracy public doesn’t have any value of law but they still want all freebies

17. Amit Kumar

Matter is written without any knowledge of directed energy weapons which are being used on civilians covertly for many decades. We are in hidden dictatorship. Most of stuff in news are as a result of remote mind control technologies.
    Citizens of many countries are facing this heinous crimes organised by covert agencies. Anyone can verify it on Google and gather information about targeted individuals.

More from Neelabjo Mukherjee

By Karun Lama