This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Akhil Kumar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

An Appeal From Tribal Activist Himanshu Kumar: On Atrocities, Self Reflection And More

More from Akhil Kumar

Translated from Hindi by Akhil Kumar

Self-Reflection Fast: How should India Behave With Its Tribal Population

Dear friends,

A large number of army troops are being sent to the tribal areas to establish peace.

Whereas past experience tells us that the entry of the army troops in tribal territory has never decreased unrest but escalated it instead.

For a long time now, the tribal people have faced oppression from the government. And if any one of them asks for justice against this oppression, they are branded as Naxalites and tortured again. The government has thus closed all doors of Justice for them.

Soni Sori, Linga Kodopi and Binayak Sen were a victim of government tyranny because they raised their voice against this injustice. We know that the educated and prosperous urban class of India does not see anything wrong with sending the army in large numbers to tribal areas in order to occupy the resources of the indigenous people.

Also, there are talks of using force to suppress the dissatisfaction caused by displacement due to this plunder of resources. But if India keeps killing its citizens like this, it will result in the moral degradation of the Indian community that holds power.

India will have to think, as a nation, on how should it behave with its native inhabitants.

Do we approve of occupying the lands of the tribal community on gun point? Do we believe that we can bring peace to the country after burning their villages, driving them out of their homes and occupying their land?

If once we get habituated to doing injustice to our own citizen, wouldn’t it make way for us to do it to everyone else tomorrow? Today, we will attack the tribals, then we’ll kill Dalits and go on to kill our villagers and then, one day, we will find ourselves surrounded by enemies that we created ourselves.

Hence, we need to review our behavior towards the tribal people as soon as possible.

It is my humble effort that we use this opportunity to ponder on this issue that how should the tribal people of this country be treated. To self introspect on this issue, I am sitting on an indefinite hunger strike from 1st June and I hope that you, wherever you are, will also introspect on it.

This is not just a question of the tribals but a question for all those who want to build a better society, where everyone gets justice because it is impossible to even think of peace without justice.

Please do visit Jantar Mantar if possible, we will be pleased.

Yours
Himanshu kumar
Jantar Mantar, New Delhi

09013893955
vcadantewada@gmail.com

1. NK

Its amazing how the literate Indians are reminded of the pains of tribal India when there is a Naxalite attack, the pains of the Muslim minority when Kashmir burns, the sentiments of general category when someone sets himself on fire and so on.

What will it take to develop a vision and move from activism to reformism, sir?

2. Vikas yadav

actually the whole Youth ki awaz has been taken over by the lynching mob of leftist jholawals like the writer who wrote this crap, it’s an old Marxist bullshit that does not deserves our attention.

1. NK

“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I’ll defend to the death your right to say it.” – Voltaire

Marxist / Communist / Radicalist / Extremist…it doesn’t matter what your beliefs are….as long as you have a point and zeal for nation building. We are just people taking different roads for same destination and we must respect each other.

Also, the author makes some constructive criticism about our decision and that deserves attention. Shun accolades, welcome criticism with open arms – is what we must strive to achieve.

3. vinay Pandey

यह क्या है हिमांशु जी !
    भारत सरकार और आदिवासी क्या अल अलग हैं ? क्या आदिवासी भारत का हिस्सा नहीं है ? अब जब नक्सलीओं पर सरकार करवाई करना चाहती है तो आदिवासी आपको दिखने लगा ? कुछ साल पहले जब पुलिस ने आपको सुरक्षा उपलब्ध करवाई थी तो आपने छत्तीसढ़ छोड़ दिया था ! ऐसा मत करो की लोग आदिवासिओं को माओवादी समझने ल जाएँ ! लोगों की सहानुभूति को ख़त्म मत करो ! आदिवासिओं को देश द्रोही क्यूँ घोषित करना चाहते हैं ? अपनी तरह ! अपने फोरेन फंडिंग के लिए इतनी इरी हुयी हरकत तो मत कीजिये ! Nichtayi ki had hoti hai
    .

More from Akhil Kumar

By Mohtashim Syed