This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Lata Jha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

An App That Can Tell Women All About Their Menstrual Cycle And Could Replace Contraceptive Pills

More from Lata Jha

By Lata  Jha:

Is a woman’s life finally getting easier? An entrepreneur now claims that her new app could one day replace the contraceptive pill, and even warn women when to expect premenstrual tension. Company owner Ida Tin, 34, says that she wants to change the family planning industry, in which she feels there has been no innovation since the invention of the Pill, 60 years ago.

The free iPhone application called Clue, tracks the individual’s menstrual cycle and can use that to predict the times they can have sex without the risk of getting pregnant. It can, at the same time, also be used by women trying to conceive a child because the application tells them when they are most fertile and when the chances of getting pregnant are at their highest.

clue

The application would require women to enter details about their mood, pain levels and other factors, and over time, it can apparently learn their cycle and can predict their fertility. This gives women a very accurate idea of when they can, they will, and won’t, get pregnant. Tin believes that the quality of period tracking devices, popular as they are, is poor and the math behind them quite flawed. Women are often curious about themselves and their bodies; the application gives them answers to their questions.

Clue can also help a woman avoid getting pregnant. The application lets women enter details about their mood, pain levels and dates of last period. The app then chalks out their cycle and can predict accurately, using a series of algorithms developed in association with fertility researchers, the best and worst times for them to get pregnant.

Considering that women have great reservations about taking pills that could affect their health and result in headaches, weight gain and hormonal imbalances, the application, Tin believes, is extremely useful.

Did you just hear that sigh for yourself?

1. Soumya Raj

But such kind of menstrual detection apps are present for every phone, for Blackberry and Android. And you get various tracking calenders,glass bead necklaces and circles to track the cycle. How is this app any different?

2. christabom

This can not ‘replace’ contraceptive pills! Even though for some women who don’t like to take hormones this is an alternative, it is not as reliable as contraceptives, especially if you are not consistent with it. It is not that hard to take a pill every day, it is harder to every day consiously think about your cycle. I would like to know the efficacy of this app, is it tested? Fertility awareness methods (such as this app) are not for everybody, some women have irregular cycles or don’t have enough disipline to follow this method succesfully. I also worry how this app is going to predict your time of ovularion without taking basal body temperature and cervical mucus. Only based on calender (or something very subjective as mood) is proven to be less reliable.

On this page, you can find information about different birthcontrol methods and their efficacy: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/birth-control/birth-control-effectiveness-chart-22710.htm

This means on birth control pills 2-9 per 100 women get pregnant per year.
    On fertility awareness methods 25 per 100 women get pregnant per year.
    These are the practical numbers, because in theory all methods are more reliable, but people almost never practice the method perfectly.

If you really don’t want to take birth control pills, this is something to consider. If you don’t use any form of contraceptive, you have a chance of 85% to get pregnant within 1 year, so I guess its better than that. However, I would not want to take the risk of getting pregnant by accident, it is worth taking a pill every day so that you don’t have to worry.

3. Johnc326

Vigamox Without A Script in Columbus dbgbeefbckbc

More from Lata Jha

By Debarati Sen