An App That Can Tell Women All About Their Menstrual Cycle And Could Replace Contraceptive Pills

Posted on July 16, 2013 in Health and Life, Sci- Tech

By Lata  Jha:

Is a woman’s life finally getting easier? An entrepreneur now claims that her new app could one day replace the contraceptive pill, and even warn women when to expect premenstrual tension. Company owner Ida Tin, 34, says that she wants to change the family planning industry, in which she feels there has been no innovation since the invention of the Pill, 60 years ago.

The free iPhone application called Clue, tracks the individual’s menstrual cycle and can use that to predict the times they can have sex without the risk of getting pregnant. It can, at the same time, also be used by women trying to conceive a child because the application tells them when they are most fertile and when the chances of getting pregnant are at their highest.

clue

The application would require women to enter details about their mood, pain levels and other factors, and over time, it can apparently learn their cycle and can predict their fertility. This gives women a very accurate idea of when they can, they will, and won’t, get pregnant. Tin believes that the quality of period tracking devices, popular as they are, is poor and the math behind them quite flawed. Women are often curious about themselves and their bodies; the application gives them answers to their questions.

Clue can also help a woman avoid getting pregnant. The application lets women enter details about their mood, pain levels and dates of last period. The app then chalks out their cycle and can predict accurately, using a series of algorithms developed in association with fertility researchers, the best and worst times for them to get pregnant.

Considering that women have great reservations about taking pills that could affect their health and result in headaches, weight gain and hormonal imbalances, the application, Tin believes, is extremely useful.

Did you just hear that sigh for yourself?