Intolerance Of The Fanatics: Morphed Pictures Of Amartya Sen’s Daughter Circulated After He Criticized Modi

By Mr. Nupur Das:

And yet again, the heights of intolerance have been amply displayed in the Indian society. Last week, the renowned economist from India, Noble laureate Amartya Sen in an interview at one of the leading national news channel expressed his views that he was simply not in favour of Narendra Modi becoming the prime minister of the country, as he did not have secular credentials. He was not impressed by the much hyped Gujarat model of development where it has just emphasized on infrastructural growth rather than the overall development of people and equity, addressing problems in the health and education sector. He didn’t prefer the development model that has been exemplified in Gujarat as the next one in the entire country. Prof Sen, later on clarified that he won’t take back his comments and not even regret what he had said earlier regarding his opinion on Modi. He was just putting forth his views on that issue which any individual in a democratic society with the right to free speech and expression is entitled to.

Amartya Sen

This was met with severe criticism from the people of the Modi camp who are obsessed with his development methods in Gujarat. Subsequently, the extent to which these right wing fundamentalists can go was out in the open when they attacked Sen, not even sparing his private life and his daughter. Firstly, BJP’s Chandan Misra criticized Prof. Sen vehemently and also demanded that Amartya Sen be stripped off his Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award of the country which was awarded to him in 1999 during the reign of the NDA government. Things didn’t stop here, (for worse) the Modi supporters(who could not withstand Modi’s criticism) and other goons to be precise, were seen sharing pictures of Amartya Sen along with his alleged daughter ( which was actually a morphed picture of a scantily dressed model) on social media with a message for Amartya Sen to take notice on the deeds of his daughter.

What seriously concerns me now, is the extreme intolerant attitude that was displayed by these right wing parties and their supporters. Their moral policing, regarding a woman’s freedom to choose her profession and attire, is highly regressive (even though it was not the picture of Sen’s daughter). A person who had made political statements and expressed his views was not spared a derogatory intrusion into his personal life. Now, one can simply predict how and where this nation which has a history of tolerance will be heading towards under such a fascist government if by any chance comes to power. It’s clear that our free speech and expression under those regimes, if it ever comes to power, will be suppressed in a very brutal manner.

The issue here is not Amartya Sen’s approval of Gujarat model of development or if Prof. Sen was right, it’s not about critics like Jagdish Bhagwati, who came to counter immediately after Sen’s remarks on Modi. Everyone has the right to form their opinions and choose the development models for the good of the society at large. A healthy debate on any issue, on the path of development adopted, whether by BJP or Congress or any other party, is welcome with proper facts, reasoning and logic. But problems arise when people deny others’ right to speak and turn a deaf ear towards others’ opinions. These incidents displays the level of intolerance and moral policing these right wing parties will show to the masses when they will come to power and especially when their leader projected to be the next prime minister declares himself as a Hindu nationalist, which is a serious threat to not only the minority of the country but to each and every responsible citizens.

1. Raj

Come on get real! Nadana Sen is a an accomplished actress and a model who has even gone topless for Rang Rasiya. There are morphed pictures of her and loads of models.And they have been around for years. So why the outrage? Why are you trying to link unrelated things?
    And why is your victimization only for Nandana , whereas there are morphed photos of so many politicians and celebrities? I have seen Modi’s photo morphed on to a dog’s body. Is that also fascism?

1. kartik chaturvedi

its not the act of morphing, its the reaction that was generated. “strip him of his Bharat Ratna”? this is real, when you threaten someone… get your perspective right

2. Raj

We have fascists feminist groups who advocate similar things to men who speak out against in defense of men’s rights. Such behavior is seen across the spectrum and the liberals indulge in it as much as do the conservatives. I oppose all such behavior though.

2. Aastha Sharma

I have just three things to say.

Firstly, when you are posting articles which have serious allegations against somebody, then do present the proofs also. Randomly saying that Modi’s supporters were SEEN distributing pictures on social networking sites, doesn’t makes a sense.

Secondly, Be sure that those were morphed pictures.

Thirdly, you are portraying the supporters of Modi as goons even though you have no valid proofs.

We expect articles which will clearly portray the truth. Gullible people will consider it as dirty politics of BJP which is clearly not the case, and the reason am saying this is because the very headline of your article tempts to attack on Modi.

1. Raj

The morphed pics point may not be needed, as MS Nandana Sen has already done racy photoshoots.

3. reflectiveponderer

What is evident from the entire matter is that , the comments made for Mr.Modi’s development model outraged the party members to such an extent that they resorted to cheap activities on the internet to gather attention. This was certainly neither expected nor acceptable. Every individual has the right to express his/her opinions. I am not saying this because I am for/against any party. But, now I am once again in the big dilemma of not knowing whom to vote for.

4. Veer Subhash

Suddenly one more soul awakes to realize the importance of her freedom of expression and takes enormous pains to pen down her thoughts.

Sounds perfect, but the point of trouble is that this awakening happens only when the criticism is directed against the ‘Right Wing’.

Morphing pictures is obviously wrong, but IS this the first time such morphing was used by religious or political groups ?

1 ) MORPHED PICTURES lead to DEATHS – Just last year, much mayhem was created leading to violence and deaths of 2 persons, in Azad Maidan, where several Muslim groups had assembled to protests against the atrocities on Muslims in North East. Indian Gov. officially admitted that ‘MORPHED’ pictures from Tibet and African countries were used to create panic in the minds of Indian Muslims.

2) MORPHED PICTURES used in ELECTIONS – During Gujrat elections in Dec 2012, Morphed pictures of Flood Victims in SRI LANKA were used to portray malnourishment in GUJRAT (to hit Modi).

There are many other such examples, but I want to bring back the topic of your selective awakening.

I really wonder why you never earlier felt the need to speak on ‘Misuse of Morphing’ ? And don’t miss the fact that those morphings were far more inciting and provacating, which lead to violence and deaths, unlike the recent mild ‘morphing incident’ which no one even noticed. The ‘awakening’ of people like you takes place only when you get a chance to target Modi or Right Wing.

And lastly, just 2 days back, a Muslim Scholar (Lady) Amina Wadud, widely respected for her thoughts on GENDER EQUALITY, was expected to give a speech on GENDER REFORMS before the students in Madras University in Chennai. The police, under the Ruling Jayalalita Government, asked the organizers to cancel the Program. Why – Because of the threats of Muslim Fundamentalists going violent.

In recent times, Such Ban have also been previously laid on Taslima Nasreen, Salmaan Rushdee and Kamal Hasan’s Vishwaroopam and so on.

No Wonder, these incident never catch attention of your types.

Conclusion-

I appreciate your love for Journalism. But I decry your selecting ‘Targeting’ . I denounce your Heavy Biasness. I condemn your misleading thoughts which represent half truth. Your articles wrongly create an impression that everything except ‘Right Wing’ is secular and every thing except the NON-Modi’s is communal.

1. reflectiveponderer

The underlying problem is with the people themselves. As many of you have pointed, morphing is an age old trick , used numerous times to sabotage people. So, I don’t think that blaming the “Right Wing” and going against one party is any solution.This issue just brings to light another incident when morphing and circulation of pictures was done by a group of people, wanting to make their point. And, as Aastha pointed, it is not even clear who was responsible for this. So, let there be peace and hope.Nevertheless, I am still not for/against any party and have no personal grudges against the ‘Right Wing’.

5. G

Did someone say proof? Here you go: 1)

If that doesn’t work – maybe:

2) http://i40.tinypic.com/2mcsj6a.png

3) http://tinypic.com/r/2mcsj6a/5

Took the screenshot myself. thankyouverymuch.

1. Raj

Are they morphed? Are you aware than Ms. Nandana has already done topless scenes in movies?

6. Saumya Sahni

I just don’t go by the details presented here. I cannot be cent percent sure if the pictures were morphed.

7. Manan Grover

The bottom line is that constructive criticism is still an alien term for us Indians. Its always The Modi clan has declared an open ‘my way or the highway’ stand. Amartya Sen expressing his anti Modi views publicly did not go down well with the Modi supporters to so much extent that they were ready to stoop down to such acts of shame. Its high time we start practising freedom of speech rather than just teaching in schools and colleges.

1. Raj

It is convinent to call them Modi supporters and thus imply that Modi is somehow involved. By the same token we should say muslims are killing hindus becuase some insignificant group of muslims killed a hindu somewhere.

By Vaishnavi Gond

By Ajay Amitabh Suman