This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nihal Parashar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

KASHMIR: Where You Rob Someone Of Their Identity And Then Demand Patriotism [In Light Of Ramban Incident]

More from Nihal Parashar

By Nihal Parashar:

I seriously doubt democracy in Kashmir. The Ramban incident, which has hardly been covered in mainstream Indian media, questions every claim of the Indian government over the prevailing peace in the valley. Just because we do not discuss the violence, does not mean peace exists!

Ramban

Everybody in the country has an opinion over Kashmir and the Kashmiris. I would take a position here and would term the relation of the Government of India with Kashmir as colonial. As a larger Indian society we see Kashmir as a home to numerous terrorists and burden on India. We have a political faction and leaders in our country who are determined to teach a lesson to ‘Terrorist Kashmiris’. I am quite sure that many jingoist patriots of the nation would not even try to read deeper into the incident and come to a conclusion. I only wish if they could read this report on the entire incident.

Why do Kashmiris need to live under constant threat from BSF or any other forces? Incidents like this only bring halt to the peace process. More importantly it affects the average Kashmiri who earns his daily bread during the season when tourists come.

Another matter of concern for me is the coverage of the story. I did see the story being covered on a few news channels in a very casual manner. The national media, I firmly believe, has a bias against any story related to Kashmir. The quantum of violence and curfew in the state is enough to be the most important national agenda for the moment, but we have a Home Minister who says ‘will look into the matter’, as if it is something that isn’t ever priority.

The communal behavior of our armed forces has often been talked about, but only in a particular circle of liberal and secular people. The larger communal society doesn’t see it as a problem- rather it sees it as a solution. It is the same society who is waiting for India’s version of Hitler to create the Lebensraum of its own. It is hard to understand by which logic we equate the entire population of Kashmir to Pakistan. You first rob somebody of their national identity and then demand for patriotism. You term somebody a terrorist and then blame for not showing faith in ‘Indian’ administration. You treat Kashmir as your colony and then blame them for your each and every failure.

Mutual respect can be the only way forward, and the nation state has to take the initiative even if they fail thousand times. You cannot expect ordinary citizen to bow down before you even when you molest them at every possible chance. The Indian armed forces have been extremely insensitive while tackling the issues in Kashmir and few other states like Manipur and Nagaland.

I wait for a day when we, the larger society, do not see Kashmir as a problem, and then we can have a meaningful discussion. Without this everything else is meaningless.

1. Time Rays

Dear Author, do you even know anything about kashmir? i Doubt. I am a kashmiri pandit, the aboriginal inhabitant of kashmir. DO you know where I am and who threw me out?

Unfortunately i today’s india, everybody has become a journalist and writer.

1. Raashi Wadhwa

I totally agree with you Ray, nobody seems to talk about one of the greatest ethnic cleansing in india post independence, not the media, not the congress government, but these Libtards are here to beat their chest about the plights of the offenders, those who displaced the original Kashmiri Pandit population through incitement and violence, I totally support the Indian Army, when there are separatists pro pakistan leaders like Jilani having strong influence over the region, and the government does nothing about it, we need Army there.!

2. Kusumika

I am agree with what you are saying but still the question remains, can violence ever be the solution of any problem? Avenging your suffering by causing suffering to others- is it the right way?

3. nihalparashar

Dear Friend,

Unfortunately you are judging me and my writing from a particular point of view and out of context. In my writings over the years I have also condemned the atrocities Kashmiri Pandits had gone through. I once again maintain that nothing on this planet can justify violence. Unfortunately we have entered a phase from where we demand violence in response to violence. It gives me pain to make such statements. I will again write an article on what you have pointed out. Have faith. I am not writing these articles to support fascists. And when I say this I include both Hindu and Islamist fascist.

Hope we, and many other, can see a future which is peaceful and we never get a chance to start a conversation with a tinge of hatred for each other.

Warmly.

4. timerays

Hi, your title is very misleading and perhaps we have lost touch with history (since the youth don’t care for it now). Who is robbed of their identity? Do you know, people at many times have been paid Rs. 40 for each stone they throw. Do you know people there have taken huge loans from Nationalized Banks and never paid back. Each loan of the other of 20 lacks and more sometimes in crores. And banks have no choice but to give those loans and then put them in cold storage. do you know, 8th and 10th pass people have been recruited by banks and state government departments.
      The truth is you are writing on the basis of the information you read in newspapers and tv channels. and posting your opinion in your room. Again, the mainstream media is corrupt and sold out and we have got “youths” who hardly know anything. When you write something, you have to be informed. It is your responsibility.

2. Veer Subhash

I always had doubt, now its all cleared. Your articles, one after another, smacks of desperate attempts to malign the trio-logy of First – Indian State, Second – the Rightist Parties, and third – anything even remotely saffron. You often try to forcefully prove a non existent nexus between the three. Your latest claim being the communalsation of Indian Army.. wow.. what next you are upto man ?

Have you ever cared to read into the unbiased History of Kashmir ? And while you uncover the pages of history, where should your time clock stop ? few centuries ago there was no one except Hindus and Buddhists in the valleys.
    First there is no one being disrobed of identity today the way you have assumed. Secondly, even if there is such disrobing, the same logic you mentioned should entitle ‘the estranged Kashmiri Pandits’ to resort to unlawful activities ?? In case Kashmiri Pandits resort to taking law into their hands, would you ever, ever even slightly try to justify their acts ? I am sure not, as your bias is quite evident and proved beyond doubt in your vehement criticisism of Hindutva/RSS/Modi etc.
    I have no problem with your logics. True they can be whatever they are. but alteast keep them consistent and don’t toggle them as per the needs of your articles.

More from Nihal Parashar

By Krishna Singh

By Aulina Pandey

By ABID KHAN GUDDU