This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Sumedha Bharpilania. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Plan India: Let”s Get Together To Better The Lives Of Those Affected In Uttarakhand

More from Sumedha Bharpilania

By Sumedha Bharpilania:

Uttarakhand, or the ‘Land of the Gods’ is one of the many Indian states that abounds in natural beauty. This divine state also supports a massive population owing to the huge availability of water and fertile land. However, the fast flowing mountain torrents and rivers make it one of the most susceptible places when it comes to natural disasters. The changing climate and topography have only added to the incidences of flash floods, landslides and avalanches among other catastrophes.

2013 has not really been a wonderful year for Northern India as four days of incessant rains in the month of June affected over 130,000 people in Uttarakhand. Around 700 deaths have been confirmed in the regions of Kedarnath, Haridwar and Dehradun and the numbers are only rising with the passage of time. And then, there is very little information that the state government has been able to provide about the missing people. Owing to the flash-floods triggered by the cloudburst, thousands of stranded tourists and pilgrims have been without adequate food and shelter for days altogether. 13 districts of Uttarakhand, housing over 75000 people have been affected and this has been one of the worst calamities to have struck this tourist hub.

uttarakhand

In order to combat this problem, Plan India, in line with its child-centred community development initiatives, has already started working for relief and rehabilitation in Uttarakhand. Providing relief to the communities and children during the times of emergencies is one of the core thematic interventions in Plan India, and globally. Through its local partner, Sri Bhuvneshvari Mahila Ashram (SBMA), Plan India seeks to provide food and non-food items to the affected people and also aims to assist families in repairing their houses. Establishing links between the district administrations and the affected communities is absolutely essential and this Non-Governmental Organization has been doing exactly that. Sending out trained staff members to help in the rescue operations and supplying medicine kits for the victims are some of the other things this association has been doing.

However, none of these initiatives are ever successful without the active participation of the people as the power essentially vests in them. Plan India therefore invites people to contribute towards saving lives in the state of Uttarakhand as many hands together can help in alleviating the miseries of those affected. The public can login to www.planindia.org and donate for the cause or call Plan India at 9717999753.

Plan International has also launched an emergency appeal for US$1,000,000 to support thousands of families affected by the devastating floods in India’s Uttarakhand state. The appeal funds raised will be used to supply 6,000 families with basic humanitarian needs such as shelter, hygiene and sanitation. Click here for more information.

More from Sumedha Bharpilania

By Himani choudhary

By Shivang Verma