This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Lata Jha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

We Urgently Need Sex Education In India: This Is The Plain Reality, There Shouldn’t Be Any Doubts

More from Lata Jha

By Lata Jha:

We just celebrated World Population Day as an overcrowded planet of some 7.1 billion people. And considering that an ever growing number of teenagers are now giving birth, the U.N. has decided that the focus of this World Population Day will be adolescent pregnancy. At present, India is home to the largest concentration of young people in the world. With an average age of just 29, the country is home to 300 million people below the age of 25.

It is for these reasons that sexual and reproductive rights in India demand analyses. Talking about sex may be taboo here, but reproduction evidently is not. From racing against the age stopwatch in bedrooms, to nine year olds distributing porn to umpteen unwanted pregnancies and sexual infections, the issues are many.

sexeducation

In a strange dichotomy, there are barely any resources for young people curious about sex. From our schools to colleges to our own homes and social circles, we hardly ever find the opportunity to discuss these issues. Only 15% of men and women between the ages of 15 and 24 have reported receiving any sex education, according to a study on Indian youth a few years ago. Alarmingly, only 45% of young women and 37% of young men were aware of the possibility of pregnancy resulting from first intercourse.

The Indian government has dithered over the matter for more than two decades. From wavering over the launch of the Adolescent Education Program (AEP), in 1999 to some of the largest states of the country, Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Kerala, Chhattisgarh and Goa actually banning sex education in 2007, we haven’t done too well. But, of course, as countless academic studies have found regressive education does not change teenage and adolescent sexual behaviour, nor does it delay the age of initiation of sexual activity.

Looking ahead, experts say there are two possibilities for India. One is the establishment of a sex-education program that “acknowledges the changing sexual landscape, parents accept that their children must know about safe sex, even if they are unwilling to communicate with their children and supplies and information are available to young people. The second option is maintaining the status quo. Rates of infection will jump and unintended pregnancies will rise.

It’s not like the situation hasn’t eased in recent years. But we still have a very long way to go. In making sex education a part of the lives and curricula of our children as soon as they’re ready for it. In making them feel responsible for themselves and their decisions. Until we do so, we shall carry not only these shameful tags but also the onus of somewhere ruining the lives of our children.

1. christabom

Good article, I think this is an important issue.. General knowledge about STI’s and contraceptives should be known by all adults and adolencense. Sex education should not only include the technical aspect but also the emotional aspects like respecting eachother, not doing it when you are not ready, understanding the consequences and how to deal with puberty. It should be brought in an open trusted environment and students should be encouraged to ask questions.

How do you suggest we bring this sex education to children/adolencence? I’m affraid it will be hard in a country where sex is still very much taboo. In my opinion it is more the job of the parents to talk about this (early, in a age appropriate way), not schools. As long as people are not more open about this, it will be hard to achieve anything.

1. Raj

Don’t call it sex-education. Call it AIDS and STI prevention lectures. That ought to do it.

More from Lata Jha

By Sara Sharma

By Vaishnavi Gond

By Survivors Against TB