What Life Of Kids In Rural India Looks Like: Mid Day Meals And Wandering Childhood #PhotoNama

Posted on July 18, 2013 in PhotoNama

By Nihal Parashar:

At a time when the Mid Day Meal incident from Bihar is making to national news, I’d like to share an experience I had some three years back, in mid 2010 if I remember correctly.

I was helping a social activist friend of mine who was conducting a survey in primary schools of rural Bihar. He was trying to analyse if Nitish’s government has helped poor children in rural areas or not. Well, parents were happy that time. They did feel that the present government was trying hard to help them live a ‘slightly better’ life. This was my personal observation. But they were still leading a life which is unimaginable for those reading this piece, those who have the access to and luxury of using the internet! There are many factors responsible for this: the social condition of these children and their families, the economic class they belong to, and acceptance in larger society.

The photographer in me was curious to capture those moments. I captured one Mid Day Meal service as well. These photographs are from various villages and not from one. I have selected a few to show the kind of life children lead not only in Bihar but in most of rural India.

A crowded class room
A crowded class room
Students in classroom, waiting for teacher
Bagpiper bottle helps as a water bottle
Bagpiper bottle helps as a water bottle
Waiting for Food #MidDayMeal
Waiting for Food #MidDayMeal
Head Master on his rounds while students wait for food
Meanwhile, when the food was being prepared
Food being served
Food being served
Piercing eyes
Piercing eyes
A young girl cleans the dishes
A young girl cleans the dishes
Students outside the school
Students outside the school
Looking for school!
Looking for school!