Challenges Before The Newly Formed Telangana: The Carving Of A State

By Aditi Saraswat:

Telangana is a reality now, but for many, it is a disaster waiting to happen. Such demands for a separate state based on linguistic differences and underdevelopment alone, are fueling other such already existing demands (read Gorkhaland, Bodoland, Bundelkhand among others). Issues within Telangana itself need to be carefully deliberated upon and a road map chalked out before the yearning people rejoice.

Telangana

Will Hyderabad be another Chandigarh or will Seemandhara get a new capital? Clearing the mist over this is important because as pro Telangana leaders and agitators have amply pointed out, as high as 65% of industries in Telangana region are owned by rich Andhras, and animosity exists between the two factions. Despite reassurances by Major Industries Minister J. Geeta Reddy that smooth exchange of commerce with no forced relocation will be ensured, industrialists are scared. Interestingly, Ms Reddy hails from the Telangana region.

Also, students have a cause for worry. If Hyderabad remains in Telangana, then what of the Andhra students who will then have the non local status, thus negatively impacting their chances of admissions in premiere colleges in Hyderabad. Noteworthy is the fact that there does not exist an elaborate or even a decent smatter of educational institutions outside Hyderabad in this region. Telangana inhabitants themselves will have to invariably look towards other states or colleges abroad unless they begin early and kick start building a framework right now.

The rationale behind a separate Telangana is backwardness arisen out of preferential treatment to Coastal Andhra and Rayalaseema for four decades since Telangana was merged with the Andhra State. What have the leaders proposed or expressed regarding the building of an industrial- commercial- educational framework to propel the state forward, apart from the obvious smugness about receiving a generous aid ‘package‘ from the center, ostensibly for development? Telangana is a mineral rich, primarily agricultural land which needs to provide a boost to its farmers through all possible means and simultaneously develop indigenous industries. These are the primary markers which are essential for the proposed self determination.

Pro Telangana activists point out that despite the fact that roughly 70% of Krishna and Godavri waters flow through Telangana, the irrigation cost per acre is ten times as compared to Seemandhara. And this is when Telangana was in Andhra Pradesh. Redistribution of river waters has traditionally been a bone of contention between states. How will water disputes be resolved? How will safe commerce for Telangana traders to Coastal Andhra ports be ensured in the wake of tension and violence?

Also, what would be the status of the scheduled castes and tribes? What turn will the Naxal problem take? Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy has already expressed his concern over the possible rise of tension and Naxal activity in the region following the decision. Crucial also is delineating the role of women in shaping of the state, their powers and responsibilities in the civil and bureaucratic apparatus.

All these questions need concrete, well planned answers in the shape of comprehensive policies which will ensure that the cause of the people of Telangana and the efforts were not in vain. That a new state was not added to the Republic of India for satiating the questionable desires of a few political elite, and nothing more. Let Telangana not become a battleground for warring factions and communal forces. Let it become a model for states which were carved out of another so they could develop independently, let it fulfill the desires and aspirations of its people by earnest beginnings.

1. pawan (@sporty_pawan)

yes this article clearly depicting many aspects that can arise from this seperation….government should think about problems rather than politically

2. kanagiri s prasad

The people of seemandhra should realize that they have to build the new capital … and it is high time for them they should not do the same mistake and the politicians of the the region are blamed and they have neglected their native districts and they did no the vision … now they have to respect the sentiments of telangane and the ten years capital for the both regions is a very long period they should not wait and the Government should initiate and should able to address the issue and concerns of seemeandhra youth in particular

3. Aditi Thakker

I think it is best if Seemandhra find themselves another capital. Hyderabad can be a joint capital for a transition period, but how feasible is it for it to be a permanent shared capital? As for the apprehensions that the people from other parts of the state have, regarding losing their opportunities to the creation of Telangana, well, the exploitation of Mulki laws is not new to the Telangana. The legal rights of the residents of Telangana were violated when people from Seemandhra came in with forged documents that showed them as domiciled Hyderabadis.

As for other self-determination state movements in India, they need to be assessed too. And if found necessary and viable, new states need to created. Just look at the size of Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, and the efficiency they work with! What’s so good about big states?

I love your last sentence!

By Jenne Maxwell