This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nihal Parashar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Should We Discuss A Chaurasi Kosi Yatra When The Country Is Falling Apart From Every Angle?

More from Nihal Parashar

By Nihal Parashar:

I know this statement will hurt the sentiments of many Hindu friends. Let me try to convince them that I do not intend to hurt your sentiments but there are many supposed leaders of Hindutva who try to. Let us try to see Hinduism in a broader perspective rather than just as a tool with which politicians have been playing for quite some time.

I have been following the development of the events related to Chaurasi Kosi Yatra for almost a week now. I have closely seen all the interviews of VHP leaders and also of SP/ Congress/ BJP leaders for all this time. My only concern, is how is it related to an average Hindu like you and me? Why religion is given so much of priority at a time when our economy is falling like anything? The elections are round the corner and it is high time we should be debating and critically analyzing policies which have affected our lives, and can affect our lives in the near future. (We can have discussion regarding the same in the comment box here, to start with!)

Chaurasi Kosi Yatra

Discussing a religious ceremony which otherwise was supposed to be a local activity, on a national level, shows the sad situation our country is in. It seriously questions the intellectual growth of the far Right groups. When the far Right VHP says that the ceremony was supposed to be an activity of saints only, then why was it taking care of the fights at every possible point, be it on a television show or on the streets? It is clear that this organization has only one agenda and that is of creating a polarized India.

I am also concerned as to why many of my friends have been taking this issue so seriously. A friend of mine, who is struggling to get a job, trying hard to cope-up with things in his personal life; is so emotionally attached with this entire episode that this is the only matter of discussion for him. It hurts to see a friend being emotionally exploited by a force which is driven to polarize the country only for short term goals.

It also hurts to know that the constituency which is in question, region of Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh, has not been able to match the pace of growth in other cities of the country because of the highly volatile political situation prevailing there. Certainly when Chaurasi Kosi Yatra is the major concern for the area, then who will talk about the condition of education, job opportunity and infrastructure in general. That area is a classic example of futility of politics of religion. It is so easy for Hindutva friends, with due respect, in other parts of the country and the world to comment about the temple and ceremony in the region of Ayodhya because they do not have to live there. It is the people, many belonging to the economically weaker class, who has to face the wrath of the time there.

I only hope that at least my friends, especially the younger generation, show some sincerity and respect for humans rather than things which remotely affect their lives.

1. K.B.Srivastava

Politicians should think regarding poverty in each castes and religions in India and there is no lack of money in our country and much money are sanctioned for welfare of poor people of society, but these money are embezzled by govt. employees. Sri Rajeev Gandhi had observed that if one rupee is sanctioned people get only 15paise &85 paisa are embezzled by employees. Now this is time of computer and by use of computer ;corruption can be reduced to a large extent. First of all moveable and immoveable properties, its present value and annual income of all citizens of India should be computerised and government should seize undeclared property. Since freedom of India enough money are sanctioned for evolution of poverty each year, but money sanctioned by govt are embezzled by govt employees.
    In financial year 2013-14 GOI has sanctioned Rs6.385kharab for Indira Awas Yojna, Rs19.2726kharab for Sarve Sikchha Abhiyan, Rs9.0155kharab for Mid Day Meal, Rs4.8642kharab for Social Assistance, Rs25kharab for National Health Mission, Rs7.6678kharab for Backward Region Grant fund, Rs10.8503kharab for Integrated Child Development Service, Rs2.9006kharab for National Rural Livelihood Mission and Rs13,50kharab for Food Security. Grand total of all amounts to Rs99.5095kharab. These amount are not sanctioned for development, but all these amounts are sanctioned for welfare of poor families of India and if these amounts are transferred directly (DBT) in accounts of 16Cr poor families(80Cr people whose vote make government), each family will receive Rs5182/- per month and if State Govts also add its share of 50%, each family will receive Rs10364/- per month and if black money of Rs250kharab are seized by the Govt. and interest of black money are also transferred in 16Cr poor families(whose vote make government) each family will receive Rs11666/- per month. If poor people get ;these amounts, they can also admit their children in good schools and poor patients may also be treated in private and good hospitals. Rs5000/- per month should be transferred in accounts of flood affected families for a year, but govt help them with the help of their employees and they embezzle the amounts sanctioned by governments.
    Govt. should provide a pistol ;to all girls with bullets containing anaesthesia to get the culprits unconscious before rape. And thereafter the case may be reported to police.
    Thus there are many measures with which poverty, corruption and crimes may be abolished.

1. Raj

Seriously, don’t you realize your well-intentioned programmes are doomed to failure? Let me elaborate :

– You wish to give direct cash transfers of 11666/- Rs per month to the poor people. Don’t you think such a programme will breed poverty? If I can get 11666/- Rs per month for being poor and for being unemployed, then I will want to stay below poverty line and stay unemployed! I am getting free money, why should I give it up?

– You want to give girls pistols to knock criminals unconscious. Don’t you think the criminals will be more happy to have an abundant supply of such guns for themselves?

– It is your socialist ideas that breed poverty,corruption and crime.You must reconsider your ideas

2. Raj

This is a form of socialism, when people want the Govt. to take care of things when the people themselves are more than capable of doing so. Religion is a private matter and all such pilgrimages must be private undertakings. There are so many tax-free religious groups who get a lot of donations. It must be their responsibility to oversee such pilgrimages, not the Govts.

3. Veer Subhash

Quest: Why Should We Discuss A Chaurasi Kosi Yatra When The Country Is Falling Apart From Every Angle?
    Ans: Why Should We Discuss Gujrat 2002, When The Country Is Falling Apart From Every Angle?

its really funny, When Modi/BJP were busy talking about development, the Leftist/UPA media brought in the communal issue of Gujrat 2002.
    Now when BJP/VHP are talking about a Hindu issue, you are asking why they don’t talk about development ?

Thats injustice dude. When BJP talks about development, you rekindle communal issues.
    When they raise religious issue, you take U-Turn and talk about development.

Nothing work in isolation. If you continue polarizing Muslim votes, than as a reaction Hindu votes will also start getting polarised.

Whether or not its the original Parikrama is not the question. In India people are free to lead ‘yatras’ . Thats a fundamental right.as long as its not violent.
    When you can allow massive Muslim rallies ( such as those in Azad Maidan Mumbai, those against Bush and America , etc ) then why suddenly these efforts to stop Hindu rallies. I mean either ban all rallies or allow all rallies. Dont have double standards.

I agree holding such rally/yatra may not do any good. But wasting too much of police force to stop it will also be a waste of security resources.
    There are many useless rallies which occur in public sphere, why suddenly this opposition towards the VHP rally ?

More from Nihal Parashar

By nishant anand