This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nihal Parashar. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

In The Wake Of Dabholkar”s Murder Let Us Struggle To Create A Society Which Is Free To Think

More from Nihal Parashar

By Nihal Parashar:

Like many others, Narendra Dabholkar is dead too. He was a fighter and his fight was not against any particular man, but ideas- ideas which have been the rule for thousands of years. He dreamt of relieving citizens from the superstition which surrounds them. But then he was killed by those who want to save the interests of frauds.

Narendra Dabholkar

In past 24 hours, much has been written about Dabholkar’s life and his fight against the ideas which cripple the minds of humans. We must also try to see the larger picture and understand what it means to lose even one Dabholkar from the society. It means a lot! The society is a result of few influencers who decide the fate of the larger populace. This gives power to select few, who essentially exploit the minds of many. It is this situation when people like Dabholkar become more important than anybody else. It is their struggle which attempts to fight and eradicate the viruses which have attacked the elastic minds of humans and have made them stiff.

Dabholkar’s murder also shows how afraid the businessmen of religion are; they are very afraid of free thought. A free thought alone has the potential of destabilizing thousands years of belief in superstition. This murder gives another reason to believe that Dabholkar’s struggle was not just a jargon but had serious connotations. This murder also makes us aware that the business of superstition is real, extremely real in fact!

Let us not weaken the momentum Dabholkar’s four decades of fight has created. Let us strengthen the ideas- ideas to free our minds of the vicious circle of superstition which intends solely to subjugate the society. Let us not hero worship any human but talk about the ideas which Dabholkar tried to expose us to. Let us struggle to create a society which is free- free to think.

1. Aditi Thakker

Dabholkar was a huge threat to a business that has been flourishing in India since times immemorial! The change is wished to bring about in the Indian society was one that was attacking the root of misconceptions that much of our society is based on. What really happens if you begin a journey on a Wednesday? or cut nails on Tuesday? This business of superstitions and dhongi babas is no different from the extortion mafia in their working. To create a free thinking society in India, it is first necessary for the population to believe that we’re all equal, all human. No one has extra powers to communicate with God-like forces. Superstitions are wrongful beliefs are so deeply rooted in the society, that anyone trying to change is like to meet the fate that Dabholkar met! Its almost like a new sort of Taliban is creeping in, into the business of superstitions.

1. Raj

Not sure if this was purely due to his beliefs. It could have been due to some corruption/mafia case also.

2. Diksha

Yes, losing dabholkar is very very saddening!!! I am from his hometown and i live close to his house in same society!! He has been influencing me in many ways!! We lost a great hero…. I wish the assailants would have killed someone ordinary like me instead of dabholkar uncle. But i strongly think that we should not let his sacrifice go in vain!! We need to strive hard and make his dream i.e a dream of superposition free society come true!! Its now all in our hands!! We youth are going to shape our society!! I pledge to put my utter efforts on this noble task…. Are you all with me??

3. Reeti

Well, we need to introspect ourselves. There’s a need to bring in Indian Renaissance. There’s something serious to ponder over- that being well educated doesn’t necessarily mean people have ‘scientific temper’.

1. Diksha

Exactly… I agree!Some well educated people also are superstitious. That’s what is needed to be changed! They need to develop scientific attitude.

More from Nihal Parashar

By Sharad Giri

By aashirya anand

By Bollywood Jhol