Why Is 2014 All About Narendra Modi?

By Shruti Ghoshal:

2014 is anxiously awaited by all. The atmosphere is electrified and the nation is “electionally” charged. Basically, it’s back to that time when all the political parties engage in wooing us. Previously, methods adopted were – making false promises, bribing the poor uneducated class by giving money, alcohol, lighting up cities and villages, overnight mending of roads etc. This time, we are getting to see brand politics, communal politics, vote-bank politics etc. Their sole interest is to rule India from 2014 to 2019. Considering “Vision 2020”, whoever comes to power in this crucial period will have to shoulder a great responsibility.

Narendra Modi

India has suffered in the hands of the UPA for the last 10 years. There’s a lot of anger and aggression arising out of helplessness. And suddenly, the entire political activity in India starts to revolve around one man – Narendra Modi! He has come forward as a developer, leader and a great orator. Projecting the Gujarat model, he extended hope. The reason why Indians are gravitating (not just polarizing) towards him is because they want things done and moving, and Modi is promising us that. Given that he has proved to be a very efficient CM in Gujarat, for once we have reasons to believe in a neta. On social websites (be it YouTube, Facebook, Twitter etc), the rage is such that anything spoken against Modi meets heavy criticism. There are those who bash Modi to the best of their abilities, too. But, on the internet, Modi supporters seem to greatly outnumber Modi-bashers.

Oh! What have we come to? An election of a great democratic country revolving around one man! The supporters and bashers have contributed equally to his glory as he himself. Had half the amount of energy that the Congress spends on bashing Modi been spent sincerely on India, the past decade wouldn’t have been such a disaster.

Interestingly but sadly, the age-old Hindu-Muslim tension is in the air. The Muslims seem to be against Modi. Some politicians/media-persons are trying to paint Modi as a Hindu extremist and hooting that he is against the ideology of secularism, therefore not fit to be at the helm of this “secular” country.

Are the Muslims scared of being less privileged? Are Muslims playing into the hands of politicians who are trying to induce fear in this community? The condition of India is such today that we need a strong man who can take firm steps towards improving the plight of our nation. In workplaces, Hindus and Mulsims are working side by side. I can’t believe that no Indian Muslim has any Hindu friends or vice-versa. Mazhaab nahi sikhata aapas mein bair rakhna, difference in religious faith/practices doesn’t divide our country, but lack of tolerance and quality education does.

If the country progresses inclusively, will the Muslims not progress? Is it logically possible? Here stands a fierce man who seems like a combination of Sardar Patel and Gandhi. Give him a chance. He is promising clean, transparent and accountable governance. He is promising us economic growth, national security and peace. (He has kept his word in Gujrat.) He has hit bang on the point by targeting the Indian youth via the internet and the Indian poor via inflammatory oration! Since he is not en-cashing on any particular religion or caste, he seems to have influenced a diverse crowd.

As of today, Modi is a brand; a magnet. There are people polarizing towards North Pole (Modi supporters) and others polarizing towards South Pole (Modi bashers). 2014 elections will tell which pole managed to attract more people on its side! And that, in turn, will decide the fate of the country.

Good luck India. Choose wisely.

1. Deep_Kolkata

It would had been even better had you mentioned the FAKE ENCOUNTER CASES in his state, Gujarat. You can be his fan but when you write an article like this you should also mention the NEGATIVE side(s) of Mr. N.D Modi. However, I felt that this article was biased ; actually it completely ignored his DICTATORIAL styles of functioning and many more. Do you know how many poor, innocent women were BRUTALLY gang-raped during the 2002 genocide? What were their fault? Nobody speaks for them? Did Mr. N.D Modi ever try to help them? Now, coming to DEVELOPMENT. There is no doubt that Gujarat has developed over the years. But is it due to Modi or the ENTREPRENEURSHIP of the Gujarati society as a whole? Just check out the economic statistics of Gujarat starting from the 60’s to the 90’s. You’ll find out that it was always ahead in economic development. And finally I come to his GOOD GOVERNANCE. Is promoting enmity between 2 religious communities a sign of GOOD GOVERNANCE? Is killing innocent people , just because they happen to be from the MINORITY community, a sign of GOOD GOVERNANCE? If you don’t believe me,and I know you won’t, just check out the figures of Gujarat’s HDI( Human Development Index). You’ll get your answers.
    Just go to Gujarat and there you’ll find out that there are 2 separate forms of DEVELOPMENT. One is for the Majority : the one which you get to see often, and the other for the MINORITIES : go to Juhapura , Tandelja , etc. …..you’ll see the difference. Everything depends on the people. What form of DEVELOPMENT you prefer? An inclusive one where people from different communities/classes/castes can live and prosper in peace and harmony OR the one where a PARTICULAR COMMUNITY PROSPERS and the MINORITIES remain as SECOND-CLASS CITIZENS. Expecting your reply at the earliest.

N.B : I am not a CONGI STOOGE / KHANGRESS SUPPORTER as many would think. I also cannot tolerate that Government which has looted the country for the past 9 years. Poor people have suffered the most. How can I even think of supporting a Government which has not a single member who is not CORRUPT. Each and every member of this Government is a DACOIT. Having said that, How can I even think of electing a person who has no respect for his State’s Minorities( who are HUMANS like us) , no respect for women and children ( many children were butchered by the HINDU MOB in ways which are really nauseating!) .
    I think that the YOUTH/ MIDDLE-AGED/ ELDERLY —– everybody should weigh the pros and cons and then only cast their votes.

1. Biplab, Kolkata

Replying to DEEP Kolkata.. with respect.

I would not like to write an essay just to fill up the entire screen.
      # As per NCRB 2012 report Uttar Pradesh tops the list of FAKE ENCOUNTERS.
      # Go to any place on earth you will not find a place more developed than the place that votes for the leaders to win. This may not mean others are being neglected.
      # It really amuses us when people debate over development of Gujarat. No leader comes forward to say about their own economic agenda and say that growth rate of their place is much higher than that of others.
      # Before you say ” I even think of electing a person who has no respect for his State’s Minorities” tell us name of a single person, a politician, who has respect for people, forget majority or minority, in true sense.
      # Everyone knows that living standard of minorities is worse in many non-BJP or NDA ruled state.

2. Deep_Kolkata

@Biplab,Kolkata : I was going through the points you have highlighted. You have indicated that THERE IS NOT A SINGLE POLITICIAN WHO HAS RESPECT FOR THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY. My opinion is that you are 100% correct. Then how is Mr. Modi different from others politicians? Only because he proposes DEVELOPMENT for the MAJORITY COMMUNITY ( indirectly) doesn’t make him a MESSIAH by the way.

3. Biplab, Kolkata

DEEP_KOLKATA,
      With respect, DId I SAY that “THERE IS NOT A SINGLE POLITICIAN WHO HAS RESPECT FOR THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY.” ? You said I indicated, this too, youu understood INDIRECTLY ! I asked to name one who has respect for humanity, people. I just ASKED YOU to NAME AN ALTERNATIVE who has this character, if NOT MR. MODI.
      MODI DOES SOMETHING “INDIRECTLY”, everyone knows that so clearly, as if they are expert psychologists always analysing ONLY Mr. Modi. We have seen this tendency of many renowned people just to beat around the bush without any reason when they cannot say clearly what is their alternative for the PM candidate. You need to select YOUR ALTERNATIVE from the options you have in your disposal. DO NOT BE AFRAID OR ASHAMED TO NAME HIM. CAN YOU DO THIS ? Our nation is going towards doom. It is the time we confront with reality. YOU COULD NOT ANSWER MY OTHER POINTS. IN FACT NONE COULD HAVE.

4. sg02

this is what appalls me. totally disregard everything the guy has done and focus on his anti-secular image! i am from uttar pradesh. and i can tell you what really fuelling communal voilence means. the durga shakti nagpal case forgotten already? but 2002 still remembered! muzzaffarnagar voilence forgotten? godhra train burning forgotten? 1984 forgotten? but 2002 fresh in memory! okay, never mind.
      the delhi gang rape case- that too forgotten? delhi- our country capital has a woman CM and cant ensure safety for women?
      akrabuddin owaisi is pardonable?
      right! so lets remain stuck in 2002.. and never reach 2020!

5. Deep_Kolkata

@sg02 : Madam, I think that the list is incomplete. It should also have mentioned the HATE-SPEECH of Mr. Praveen Togadia , the slaughtering of WOMEN AND CHILDREN by Mrs. Mayaben Kodnani ( who was later promoted by YOUR HERO, Mr. Modi, to the post of WOMEN AND CHILD DEVELOPMENT MINISTER OF GUJARAT) , etc. I would like to ask you one thing. Why do fans of Modi never question the UPA ( especially the Congress) about their involvement in 1984 SIKH pogrom? Why have you never demanded JUSTICE for them, at least? When Mr. Vajpayee was in power there was no initiative on the part of the then Govt. to seek justice for them and ALSO FOR THE KASHMIRI PANDITS. So , why are you guys not pressuring Mr. Modi to raise this issue? I know you guys get elated at seeing MUSLIM WOMEN AND CHILDREN gettin’ butchered but at least, raise your voice for the innocent Sikhs. Will you?

6. sg02

First of all sir, MY HERO is Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. secondly, i feel elated at seeing people getting butchered? is that what you could make out after reading “In workplaces, Hindus and Muslims are working side by side. I can’t believe that no Indian Muslim has any Hindu friends or vice-versa.”?
      reality is we are a sad 3rd world country. and we are moving backwards because we are so stuck in the past! even after centuries, we cannot rise above religious/caste differences.
      may i remind you of the slaughter of bengali hindus during formation of bangladesh? so what were the survivors of that massacre supposed to do? stay in the past and dwell in self pity? i mentioned Mr. Saeed Naqvi in my article. its him who said the problem in our country is that we dwell in the past.
      India is a barbaric country with cultural, linguistic, religious diversity! and the best democracy in the world. instead of fueling differences we should embrace them.
      but suddenly, the Muslims have become poor minority group. I want to ask- do the Muslims consider themselves minorities or Indians?
      above all, i want development! and i believe, only development will ease much pain.

7. Deep_Kolkata

@sg02 : I went through your comment…….Don’t you think that Justice for victims of 2002 is important? I hope the answer will be a big ‘NO’. I know you won’t write it . Coming to DEVELOPMENT , what kind of DEVELOPMENT do you want? INCLUSIVE or EXCLUSIVE( for the Hindus only). If you turn the pages of history, you will find Adolf Hitler who also came to power riding on such sentiments. At that time Germany’s economy was in doldrums and someone had to rescue the country. So, arrived HITLER. The rest is history. And regarding your idea of forgetting all the injustices and moving forward , I remember a quote by George Santayana — “THOSE WHO CANNOT REMEMBER THE PAST ARE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT” .

8. sg02

sir, justice really is a very sore subject in our country. in the utopian world- yes! there has to supreme and equal justice for all.
      as for history sir, India’s history bothers me more than Germany’s.
      this country has been thriving on communal politics and see where we are. isn’t it time to put it behind us?

9. Deep_Kolkata

Yes….You are right. We should completely reject COMMUNAL POLITICS. For that thing to happen we need people to come out and protest. How many do protest? I am happy that people are protesting against the RAPE culture existing in India. People should also protest against the various ills in the society like COMMUNALISM, BLACK MAGIC, SUPERSTITIONS, etc. which they do not. Do you know why Communalism exists in India? The reason is that the perpretrators previous riots were not punished! Be it the INC, Shiv Sena or BJP. And mind you until and unless you punish those behind the heinous crimes, such communal politics will remain intact even after you have your so called DEVELOPMENT. 1947 Partition was riots, 1969 riots, 1984 Anti Sikh genocide , 1992 Bombay riots , 2002 Gujarat Pogrom, 2013 Muzzafarnagar violence.And the list will go on and on and on…… So, the main thing is whoever breaks the LAW OF THE LAND must be punished as early as possible. You can try hard but COMMUNAL POLITICS will be there….you cannot put it behind!

10. abhishresth goswami

well dont have any sane argument left mr.. margaret thatcher had a very good comment for you ppl….”I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.”

11. Biplab, Kolkata

Ha ha.. God knows what you want to mean. Once you said “We should completely reject COMMUNAL POLITICS. For that thing to happen we need people to come out and protest.” THEN you concluded “You can try hard but COMMUNAL POLITICS will be there….you cannot put it behind!”

12. Biplab, Kolkata

MR. DEEP, with respect.

# “THOSE WHO CANNOT REMEMBER THE PAST ARE CONDEMNED TO REPEAT IT” .. DON’t say PAST does not exist beyond 2002.. or 1984.

# DEMOCRACY, is a tool in our country mostly used by the powerful and rich. You can ask a farmer, a villager or any midle-class common man living in cities and towns what they mean by DEMOCRACY. How are they enjoying DEMOCRACY.

# From what sense do you compare Mr. Modi with Hitler ? Do you want to indicate WHOEVER COMES FORWARD TO RESCUE COUNTRY ECONOMY IS “HITLER” ? Do you want to INDICATE whoever striclty implements law and order in his state is a “HITLER” ?

# The state of law and order in our country and its effects can be seen in every corner of it. NONE FEARS THE LAW in India. We can have hundreds of example in this matter just around us, everyday.

13. Abhishresth goswami

these cases are in court atleast start respecting the indian judiciary! before calling them fake encounters!!!!!!!!!! you r not going to decide mr.
      i request you to plz state with actual facts b4 labelling a man elected to be the CM of his state 3 times with 2/3rds majority a dictator…
      “how many poor n innocent women were burnt”…yes unfortunately even men n children of both communities were burnt during riots and the train attack causing it….
      plz for god sake buy a dictionary to read the meaning of genocide n then talk…hope u have some respect for facts..
      “nobody speaks for them?”…well mr. guj 2002 have been the only riot to c justice jus bcoz it was not u wanted does not make it injustice!!!
      i give full credit to ppl of guj for being entreprenuil but more for always electing a man who used to better their lives…
      as far as good governance is concerened well it may happen in u r la la land but all gujaratis use same roads,drink same water n enjoy the same fruits of developement…as far as juhapura is concerened it is witnessing unprecedented development never seen b4 under “secular” watch..
      as far as hdi is concerned u need to talk to me on this if u have any sane argument left against him,to reply….
      sry mr. but plz book a flight/train to gujarat u r self n plzz stop defaming a person elected by his electorate n loved by many ppl of india using insane,unproven n malicious allegations….
      it would hav been better if u argued against his ideas n policies implemented rather than using personal hate!

2. Prashant Kaushik

Dear Shruti,

I congratulate you for being one of the first writer here to write something positive about Modi. Common man simply loves Modi. The love for Modi is very easily visible on any newspaper website which dont have filtering and moderation. Love for Modi is also visible on roads, in markets, in schools, in rural areas, in malls, almost everywhere. At present he is the most loved politician in India.

But certain a section of class is very afraid of him. The only way to defame Modi is by bashing him for communal politics and calling him fake.

If those people cant see the development in Gujrat, the 100 % electrification or all rural areas, the quick governance machinery, low crime rate and so on, than possibly its beyond anyone to convince them.

Their last and only weapon against Modi is communalism.

Hope 2014 change the scene of Indian politics.

Again Kudos for writing such article.

1. sg02

@ prashant kaushik: thank you sir.
      and yes, in my times Modi is the most influential , visionary political leader i have seen.
      and Modi bashers conveniently ignore all the commendable work he has done and truly all that they can do is paint him communal.
      if i acknowledge i am a Hindu in a Hindu majority country, that implies i am against Muslims? funny logic! Mr. M J Akbar wrote a nice piece: http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/TheSiegeWithin/entry/mahatma-versus-modi-tale-of-two-nationalists
      but of course, its a free country and people can choose to believe whatever they wish to believe.
      i too hope to see what 2014 has in store.
      (though i would be depressed if by any fluke chance UPA-3 comes to power.)

P.S- the point of this article was to draw attention to how/why 2014 elections are revolving around a single man. but the reaction that followed were about taking sides again-the very famous Indian Hypocrisy. 🙂

3. Monali Satav

@DEEP, Kolkata:-
    1) With due respect I think u need to understand the difference between Dictatorial and dynamic personality.
    2) Take an example of a tyre company which was compelled to grow rubber in the tribal belts of gujarat as mentioned in the India Today Conclave by Mr. Modi. In short its Modi + entrepreneurs that has brought the development.
    3) Agree that gujarat was better developed in earlier period, But for maintaining and putting gujarat at more developed level are the things for which Mr. Modi needs to be applauded.
    4) Talking about the Minorities , let me present u some facts:-
    a)According to the Sachar committee report, monthly per capita income of Muslims in rural Gujarat is Rs 668. This is Rs 24 higher than the same for Hindus in rural Gujarat (Rs 644), Rs 141 higher than the same for SCs (Rs 527), Rs 74 higher than the OBC figure (Rs 594) and Rs 115 higher than the per month per-capita income of Muslims in rural India (Rs 553).While in urban Gujarat, per capita income of Muslims is Rs 875 which is Rs 71 higher than the per capita income of Muslims in urban India .
    b)According to the India Human Development Report, The literacy rate for Muslims in Gujarat is 73.5 percentage which is 8.7 percentage points higher than the national average Literacy rate (64.8%).
    c)Moreover, the Modi government has spent Rs 11,000 crore on Gujarat’s Sagarkhedu Yojna for comprehensive development
    of the state’s coastal belt and Muslim fishermen are major beneficiaries. A new package of Rs 21,000 crore has been announced for this year also.
    5) Talking about the 2002 pogrom, undoubtedly that was unfortunate. But after that not a single communal riot had taken place in Gujarat. And I think Mr. Modi has Apologized for the 2002 riots by his inclusive development because ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS. Critics of Modi are struck in the 2002 frame, its time to move beyond that.

1. Abhishresth goswami

i tottally agree with what u say but plz dont call 2002 a pogrom that was not a pogrom but a riot…an unfortunate communal
      riot

By Vanita Ganesh

By Mannat Punia

By Shubhi Srivastava