5 Fantastic Gadgets Whose Launch At IFA Berlin, 2013 Is Impatiently Awaited

Posted on September 3, 2013 in Sci- Tech

By Kavya Vidyarthi:

Having experienced a rather dull season of tech-festivals, gadget lovers are surely disappointed. To their delight the IFA or the Internationale Funkausstellung —the annual consumer electronics show held in Berlin would see a major launch of revolutionary as well as much anticipated gadgets from various technology giants. With less than a week to go for the IFA, here is what you can expect from it and the five gadgets whose launch has been awaited rather impatiently.

IFA

1) Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The IFA has always been a major event for the South Korean tech-giant company-Samsung. This year, the company has a major gadget, set to launch at IFA-2013. The third successor to the super successful Samsung Galaxy Note series is scheduled for launch on the 4th September. It is believed to pack in high end internal configuration and hardware for smartphones with a rumoured Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 800 CPU for U.S. units against Samsung’s 1.8Ghz octa-core Exynos 5420 processor and an ARM Mail T628 GPU. The camera is believed to have upgraded to 13 megapixels with OIS. The screen size is yet being guessed to be between 5.7 to 6.3 inches. Though the look is expected to be trademark Samsung, rumors say the built might be metal or glass against the plastic body Samsung has been known for. The resolution and RAM are both to face a significant upgrade from the previous model in the series. Also expect is a new version of the Android jellybean OS. The USP of the smartphone would however be its large battery size- around 3450 mAh —the largest detachable battery in a smartphone. It is expected to be launched at a pricey rate however if you are a Galaxy note series loyalist, like me, that would not be a deterrent.

2) Samsung Galaxy Gear
Another big launch for Samsung as they step into the smart-watch market. Rumours suggest a dual core processor running on Google’s Android Jelly Bean OS. The screen size is not disclosed but is believed to be between 1.67 inches to 2.5 inches. The watch would work on touch screen display and has chances of having an inbuilt camera, NFC, Bluetooth support and onboard sensors for tracking workouts. The price segment has yet remained unpredictable to trade gurus.

3) Sony Xperia Z1 or Honami
The Z1 by Sony Xperia is the successor of Xperia Z. It will pack the Snapdragon 800 CPU and a 20 megapixel camera with a Sony G lens. Rumoured at 5 inches screen it will have the capability to capture videos at a resolution of 4000×2000 pixels- the first time for a smartphone. The finish is expected as more metallic than the predecessor while the battery life and front camera are expected to be the same. What would be interesting to know is whether or not Z1 sports a ‘Triluminous’ display like the Xperia Z ultra. The price segment is believed to be on the higher side for a smartphone.

4) Nokia Bandit Phablet.
With Nokia venturing into the phablet market, they choose to launch their first product with a rather controversial name at IFA. The 6 inch phablet is expected to come with a 1080p display and a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor and a 20 megapixel or a higher rear camera. Also, the Bandit is believed to launch with Microsoft’s upcoming Windows Phone update, which will probably support 1080p displays and a few other enhancements. With Nokia experimenting at lengths to get back its audience, let’s hope what Lumia could not do for the company, the Bandit does.

5) Sony Lens Camera
This is a class of product you probably would not believe can exist. Frequent leaks have confirmed that Sony is launching a compact camera within a lens that can be strapped to the back of a smartphone turning it into an oversized viewfinder. Two models with an entry level unit and a more professional unit are expected. However, little is known on the technical specifications. They would provide high end imaging as an add on accessory to a smartphone and the technology is believed to have left behind companies in terms of revolutionary thinking. It is rumoured to work with both android and iOS and if priced rightly —it might shake up the mobile imaging world. This, by far is one of the most exciting gadgets scheduled to be launched this IFA.

These and many more await your response as they launch at IFA and hit the markets later in the month. These were the much speculated launches and there might be more excitement with companies who have managed to keep their launches under covers. I am having a tough time deciding which of these would take the market by storm- are you facing the same? Do share which gadget you are looking forward to the most this IFA, among these or others. If I had to purchase, my choice would probably be Samsung Galaxy Note 3- What about you?