This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Nivedita Rai. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Can’t Your Son Learn To Cook And Your Daughter Train For The Olympics?

More from Nivedita Rai

By Nivedita Rai:

The safety of women was a issue that called for heated discussions and massive protests throughout the country. India has witnessed a huge uproar, a revolution against lecherous members of the society who have caused immense shame to the entire country through their heinous acts.

Violence against women

The question on everyone’s lips, the question that has been echoing around the globe, which has been blaring out of televisions and radio stations worldwide — “What is wrong with Indian men”? Why is it that there are incessant incidences reported almost every day and even after numerous claims and promises by the government, police and judiciary nothing seems to have improved? In-fact, the situation has worsened over time. Who is responsible for the safety of women in a country of 1 billion people?

The answer lies within each one of us, the only problem is we do not realize it. It needs a lot of brainstorming to identify that we are responsible for all that is happening around us. Eve teasing, molestation and rape are the draconian forms of everyday petty incidences at our homes that we ignore. Each time a couple repents the birth of a girl child, however secretly, a shameful sin transpires. Each time a family favors their son over their daughter, the seed of superiority is sown in the mind of the little boy. The family gives fuel to this fire of superiority everyday by showing preferences towards the boy. It can be as trivial as letting him to go out and play while refraining his sister from doing so or dividing the responsibilities of household work among siblings in such a way that the girl gets to be holed up in the kitchen while the boy can go out to the market. As Mahatma Gandhi has said, for the first seven years of their lives, children are like clay. They will grow into respectful, responsible and honest citizens if you teach them to. This is the time children need to be taught equality and respect towards the opposite gender. We have to nip the mere thought of gender inequality in its bud.

The momentum gathered by the fight for a woman’s safety reveals a sad and bitter truth about our society. I believe that this issue cannot be solved superficially by shouting slogans or amending a few laws. After all, it is up-to us to either follow the laws effectively or to flaunt them. If every father stops feeling the burden of his daughter’s marriage, if every mother seeks pride in letting her daughter make important decisions of her life herself, I bet the problem is solved there itself.

The situation we face today is not because of a man’s libido. Nor does it depend on the clothes of the girl or how late she chooses to come back home. The problem lies in the eyes of the beholder. The problem is the lack of respect given to women in this patriarchal society, by men and women alike. If every individual recognizes that a girl is not an object, that her place is not reserved in the kitchen, that she is not merely meant to cook and make life easier for her husband, that she is someone who has her own priorities, ambitions and dreams, we will triumph over this problem.

A major lesson that we all need to learn is that the Indian man is not solely responsible. At a time when everyone is ready to jump down the throat of every man they see, we must not forget the brave men who stood up to protect their friends, girlfriends, sisters or even complete strangers. Many men, like Keenan and Reuben have lost their lives fighting to stand up for the equality they believe in. Let us not forget that women are equally responsible. A few days after the Delhi gang rape, a woman sensitization program was being conducted by a senior woman scientist. In front of a large audience comprising of policemen, the public and senior government officials, she lambasted the victim. In her opinion, the gang rape victim should not have fought back while being raped since that may have ‘saved’ her intestines. She also wondered what she was doing at 9 PM alone with a boy. When powerful women are actively participating in victim blaming, how do we expect to change the mindset of boys who are brought up by these women?

Let us not forget that the responsibility of keeping a woman ‘safe’ is not merely restricted to protecting her from rape. It encompasses protecting her dignity and self esteem even after she has been raped. It means to never, ever blame the victim or make any excuses for the crime. It implies never questioning her intentions of staying out at night or wearing what she wants to. Would we question our sons if they wanted to wear shorts and go out for ice cream at midnight? Protecting her safety signifies protecting her from discrimination at every single step of her life.

Today, when the entire nation is clamoring over the problem, cribbing over the rules, criticizing the judiciary, the police and the government, I appeal to the people of India to dig deep into your family, because you have the capacity to bring about a change in your family and your neighborhood. Feel proud to be the father of a girl, don’t curb her freedom. Instead, teach your son to respect his sister. Teach your daughter to be fearless and independent. Teach your children equality. Do not let their genders guide what you teach them. Irrespective of their sex, teach your children to cook and to play cricket. Teach them to sew buttons and to plan for their future. If your son is interested in fashion, send him to an art class. If your daughter is an athlete, coach her for the Olympics. While many have labeled this period in India as a fight for woman empowerment, I believe this is a fight for equality.

1. Akshay Sharma

Hi, amazing article. Loved it !! Please write more articles !

2. Prashant Srivastava

You just spoke my mind! I like your opinion.

3. himadrish suwan

Very Beautiful Article .Every parent must read it.

4. Alisha Sinha

Superbly written.. Keep writing 🙂

5. Abhinav

Hope everyone learn something after reading this!@!

6. Raj

@Nivedita Rai : Why not write an article about ” Why Can’t Your Daughter get shot/maimed/tortured/killed while defending India from terrorists/maoists/criminals AND Your Unemployed Son get custody of children and alimony to support them ?

1. Naina

Seriously Raj? Do you not know that there are many women soldiers in the Armed Forces?
      However… thats not even the point. Nivedita wrote beautifully about how men are NOT the only ones at fault. That women and men
      have EQUAL responsibility. She even went on to urge us to remember the brave men who have fought for women to be treated with decency.
      I feel like you didnt read her post at all.

2. Akshay Sharma

@ Raj : Just like it is easy to identify that a person is a clown, only by looking at his/her dress. It is easy to determine that you are an eunuch, just by looking at your comment. 😀

This is the most brief way in which one can show how idiot or ignorant he/she is ! Congratulations for that, this may be your first and last achievement :P. No one can show off his/her poor knowledge/awareness in just 2 sentences, but you. But I wish your parents do not see this, they would be ashamed of this only achievement of yours. [ROFL].

Now coming on to your notion that women are meant only to take custody of children and alimony to support (I assume you have grown up looking at the women in your family doing that :D] and men defending India from terrorists/maoists and so on, I would like to enumerate the following points. Though I am sure following chunk of knowledge wont get into your head, considering the moron you have been all these years, but still I would like converting an eunuch into some gender (possibly a man, the women gender has already been maligned by pigs like you).

1) As per a report on 5th September, 2013 : One women dies every hour because of dowry related crimes.

The urge to kill a girl starts even before she is born. Strong preference for boys, makes them abort the girl child.

According to the National Crime Records Bureau, one woman is raped every 20 minutes in India.

The above three points prove that the condition of women is abysmal in India. And yes they are shot, maimed, tortured and also killed not for a noble cause like defending their country but just for doing a crime of not being a man.

2) Women officers in the Indian army, navy and air force constitute 3.3, 3.9 and 10.4 percent of the officer cadre respectively and these figures were achieved within 20 years from when they were first recruited.

Women in India make 5.33% of Indian Police Force.

The above points show that even women in India, give their lives for the nation. Their participation is less because most of them are stopped from doing this right from their childhood and they are not given equal opportunities like men. Do not forget one single Kiran Bedi used to control 1000 of thugs, murderers and rapists, who all were men :D. Their participation is less because India has one of the worst male to female ratio compared to other countries.

I ask you, if the girls wont be given equal opportunities, how will they fight for the nation ?

3) Indira Gandhi, for your information was a woman, who gave her life fighting against the threat to the nation.

4) When you say that men die saving their country from maoists, do not forget most maoists are also men. 😀

I am sure you have learnt a lot today, many new things for you. But considering your level of IQ, I would stop with this for today. Otherwise your negligent brain would not be able to remember and comprehend so many things :D.

And I am shocked that illiterates like you actually log on to this site and are able to understand the English [LMAO].

7. ranjeet

men r always responsible creature n women r shit !,u r able to write this bulshit cuz of ur parents especially father who must b a man whenever i read such kind of bulshit i start hating each n every women ,they only know how to complain without understanding the situation ,u have mentioned 16 December incident any right minded person wd ask what was she doing in the night wd a boy .did her parents know about the boy ,her parents sent her for study they had some dream for her n look at her selfishness she started sleeping wd men without getting married .women r the most shameless creature on earth everywhere dey r sleeping wd men for money n different gratification n when someone touches dem dey start crying like an innocent girl .we have huge differences in our society on one side rich people gobble all d resources , poor r even deprived of basic amenities .these four guys have been made scapegoat by only u type of fools .prosecution has envoked 302 claiming they have intention to kill dem ,so the primary objective of the accused was to kill the girl if it was d intention why did dey rape her ,its obvious from d fact n circumstances taht lust spurred dem to commit such a heinous crime n her behavior added fuel to the fire .accused gave them shelter n see this uncouth girl she started misbehaving wd dem n women r always megalomaniacs they dont know how to respect people .That incident was only an accident ,if she didnt misbehave she could have saved her life n only she is responsible for her fate ,…..I women r always foul mouthed they shd learn how to behave wd others person except dere boy friends ,i have seen the shamelessness of girls in cinema halls they transcend all d boundries of decency in passion they dont think that sey r disturbing other person who have paid same for watching a movie wd peace .women sleeping wd men without getting married r already prostitutes so how can dere modesty b outraged ,,,,,,they r professionals n good girls r never raped …………………

1. Naina

I feel sorry for you Ranjeet. Very sorry.

Nivedita@ Please don’t get disheartened by misogynists like him. We need more people like you.

2. Akshay Sharma

Looking at Nivedita’s article, I am sure she would not get disheartened by people like these. I appreciate you for standing against the wrong comments. We really need more people like you and Nivedita. God bless you both 🙂

3. Rohan

@Ranjeet
      No matter what your stance/ point.. being rude and aggressive immediately disqualifies your opinion.
      Attacking the author at a personal level is cheap.. and disgusting.
      I can go on and on and challenge every single word you have written.. but your answer is not worth it.

4. Akshay Sharma

@ranjeet (God forgive me for taking the name of a foul creature) : Your comment clearly reminds me of the lesson given by one of my teachers. He used to say that, ‘demons’ still exist, as they used to in the mythology, the only difference is that in today’s world they do not have scary looks, big moustaches or weird laughters, they look like us and are somewhere around us.
      Today I understand which demon he was talking about and unfortunately I am replying to one of it’s absurd comments :D.
      I guess your name should have been ‘ghantjeet’, because you can win only one thing in life, i.e “ghanta”.
      1) Ghantjeet : men r always responsible creature n women r shit !
      Akshay : Just looking at this statement of yours, it proves how illiterate, uneducated or ignoramus one can be.
      You mean to say men like Lalu Prasad Yadav, Suresh Kalmadi, A Raja, Madhu Koda etc. are responsible and women like Rani Laxmibai, Mother Teresa, Lata Mangeshkar, Indra Nooyi etc. are shit ?
      If you believe in the above statement, then believe me you wont be allowed to even enter hell :D. Any sound minded person would not agree to the above statement, you can try asking your parents :D.

2) Ghantjeet : u r able to write this bulshit cuz of ur parents especially father who must b a man
      Akshay : No doubt that a child is born by the contribution of both man and a woman, the mother plays an important and more difficult part of carrying the baby in the womb for good nine months, that is why we treat her as Goddess. For most men in India, they enjoy the good part of having sex and leave the female to take care of the child of her own, very few are lucky not to get beaten during their pregnancy.
      The funny thing in your above statement is that, looking at it seems that your mother did not give birth to you, instead you came out of your father’s ass hole. 😀 [ROFL]. No doubt why you stink so much :P.

3) Ghantjeet : u have mentioned 16 December incident any right minded person wd ask what was she doing in the night wd a boy .did her parents know about the boy ,her parents sent her for study they had some dream for her n look at her selfishness she started sleeping wd men without getting married .
      Akshay : Who the hell are you to ask anyone who is doing what at what time ? Ask your mom, when your father was not there, her father in law would have taken care of her when she was alone, it might have been night, it does not mean that he was impregnating your mom, and you are result of that.
      It is an absurd notion, that a male and a female can only have sex at night. This shows your frustration and I am sure you never had a friend in your life who is a girl, I am happy rather, or else if she had been with you at night, you would have thought that she wants to have sex with you. :P.
      And if a girl goes for a movie with a boy, it does not mean that she is bad in studies. Another illogical reasoning by you. You easily prove that you are worst in logic, worse than a pig resting in crap 😛 :D.
      And even if a girl is sleeping with a man without marriage, why is that the girl is selfish ? why can not the man be selfish in this case ? Studies show that girls have sex with boys only whom they love, instead boys have sex with girls just for fun, so a boy should be considered selfish and not the girl. Again I am sure, this is your frustration and I understand that you take a lot of help of your hand to get away with this frustration. [LMAO].
      Ghantjeet : women r the most shameless creature on earth everywhere dey r sleeping wd men for money n different gratification n when someone touches dem dey start crying like an innocent girl .
      Akshay : I think you have not heard of jigolos, ask women of your family, they will tell you what they are. Again a wrong notion that only women sleep for money :P.
      If you love some one you would enjoy sleeping with her, if someone forces you to sleep with him/her and tortures you, you would cry. Same holds true for a girl, she would love a boy whom she likes, but would cry if someones forces himself upon her.
      Ghantjeet : these four guys have been made scapegoat by only u type of fools .prosecution has envoked 302 claiming they have intention to kill dem ,so the primary objective of the accused was to kill the girl if it was d intention why did dey rape her ,its obvious from d fact n circumstances taht lust spurred dem to commit such a heinous crime n her behavior added fuel to the fire .accused gave them shelter n see this uncouth girl she started misbehaving wd dem
      Akshay : When I read the word ‘envoked’ by you, I was made sure that your vocabulary is as it should be, like that of a pig :P, no wonder why you use words like ‘scapegoat’ in wrong context. My advise to you before using words, google them and learn their meanings :D.
      Looking at the way you are describe the situation of the rapists and their state of mind, it seems that either they were your close friends or either of them was your father (I am sure even you are not sure about who your father is :D).
      At one point you say they committed heinous crime at next point you say they gave shelter to him. I ask what kind of shelter is this ? 😀
      Which father of yours told that their intention was to kill the girl and not to rape her ? Why they intended to kill only the girl and not the boy ? If you get a chance to visit him before he is hung, do ask him this question. What i read in papers was that Ram Singh and his friends had an intention of pickup up girls to have fun and sex with them. Go and google it when you google the words before using them :P.

Ghantjeet : That incident was only an accident ,if she didnt misbehave she could have saved her life n only she is responsible for her fate
      Akshay : That was just an accident for you. You would not realise the loss or the pain of the ones close to that girl. If someone will cut your penis (even though I doubt that you have one :D), would you let the culprit do that, thinking that your balls would be saved or would you defend yourself, the girl did what she should have and we all respect her courage.
      Ghantjeet : i have seen the shamelessness of girls in cinema halls they transcend all d boundries of decency in passion they dont think that sey r disturbing other person who have paid same for watching a movie
      Akshay : Girls are transcending their boundaries not with another girls, but with boys. And when it is done, both of them are transcending their boundaries.
      Those who go for watching movie, do not get disturbed by that, only those who are frustrated like you look at them and enjoy. No one can get disturbed in watching a movie unless and until he is interested in something else. Again I am sure you are jealous that you could not have anything else but your own hand 😀

Ghantjeet : .women sleeping wd men without getting married r already prostitutes so how can dere modesty b outraged ,,,,,,they r professionals n good girls r never raped
      Akshay : Prostitute is the one who has consensual sex with the partner for money. She does it with pride, much better than people like you. Just because a girl has sex with a boy she loves does not mean that she is a prostitute. You would realise that once your sister falls in love with a boy (though I pray you do not have one).
      A tiger eats it prey, it does not see whether the human is a hindu, muslim, sikh or jain. Similary cruel rapists rape women for their sexual urge, they do not got for a background check whether a girl is good or bad, and if they find she is good, it is not that they let her go. 😛

5. Akshay Sharma

All those who are curious to know the name of the juvenile who participated along with the other 4, it is ‘Ghantjeet Namard’ :D.

A knew revelation about the 16 December rape has been made by Mr. Namard, they wanted to give shelter to the girl. Their intention was to kill the girl and not to rape her, but because they were so kind and humble they raped the girl on her request..

The above comment by Ghantjeet is the biggest reason that a juvenile just short of 18 performing such heinous crimes should be given severe punishment, otherwise bastards like him would keep writing comments like this on the good articles. 😛

PS : If this comment does not make any sense to you (unless you are Ghantjeet) , please read my above comment which is the answer to ‘Ghantjeet’s comment’.

8. Nivedita Rai

@Raj: Why do some people like you make such hue and cry about any article that talks about equality. Why is Equality such a hated subject? I understand that women and men differ in physical strength but that leaves you with no right to undermine her capabilities. We have women in army these days and if you are grieved about the fact that only a soldier’s wife gets monetary support then my dear gentleman let me remind you that the aid is for family because of the loss of bread winner, and not according to gender.

9. splooge

lack of respect of women in patriarchal societies holds women to a standard. If you dont live up to it you dont get it. Just like here in the west, where we are more matriarchal but our rape rates are way higher. P4P sweden is really bad,the most feminist nation on the planet. Plus we dont get into demographic here. India has agendar imbalance with more males to females,so many guys will be left over without wives usually villagers wandering into the city, with dont give a fuck mindset,thats doing the raping and not your ceo or bollywood star. you cant down on women choosing a boy over a girl, since shes exercising her right to choose. Even here in the west boys are slightly favoured then girls. And the reasons are obvious. Its just that indian culture doesnt sugar coat anything and they tell you to your face while here we do and some idiots take it seriously. Like an indian will say youre fat without taking your feelings into account,while here well say “no you aint that bad” or “maybe alil” and as aresult we hurt them in the long run. The feminie values have become the mainstream culture here and its not really working out now if youve been watching.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

Its not always favourtism for boys, you are looking at the best parts of it. SOme aspects girls have it better. But in different ways it sucks for us. Boys are more likely to be neglected,which some will call freedom and privledge. The girl can be smothered by family,which some will call love and attention. Its merely grass is greener on the other side.

Rape like any other crime, you cant take blame fully away from the victim, we are not children. miss.america whose a taekwondo practioner got into crap with feminists here saying women should learn self defense(everyone should fight) and discipline to protect themselves. You get your ass floored on the streets, your boys be like dude why you go there or you should a learn to fight,run, dont dress flashy etc. Because tey care. You only empower yourself with the decisions you make not making the world bend to what you think. People that dont care wont care ever. The ones that dude your voice is wasted for their life situation is good and they were raised and treated well growing up.
    You cant empower people by telling others to make life easier around them. ANd yes good parents will question there boys when they go out at night. Just not as often because guys can fight. simple. We are not as emotional when we lose either. You think we gonna tel people we got raped?fuck no we take that shit to our grave and fuck that guy up. We cant give too much freedom to kids,espically to girls, come to the west and youll know what Im taking about. But them learning to cook and be fit that good.
    Our lives are equal, but equality is a myth and there is no such thing as gendar structures, our brains are wired different. 2 different standards for 2 different sexes, this post is too dam close to sjw cis gendar trans crap. Trust me you dont wanna be like sweden. Sadly we maybe like them.

10. splooge

for your header. pro athlete women like successful women dont marry and have kids due to their hypergamous nature(you wont marry those below similar to a caste system) and successful men will. Most women want a man as successful or more then them. Its rather elitist but thats just how it is. Plus male dominated sports gets more views and thus more money.
    Women how ever cant play at theat level like when I saw our canada womens hockey team, we thought they were kids for a second. Teenagers are bigger stronger and faster and fight more aggressivly then they did.
    Its about pushing them to their strengths and which will have the better rewards in the end, not tying up weaknesses half ass and then wonder where are all the good mates.

1. splooge

really this is just penis envy. This is just grass is greener on the other side. We got feminism and finally american female athletes actually did better then american athletes but yut everyone espically women are more stressed and unhappy as ever thanx to this feminism.
      India do not go down our dark road, no matter how feel good it is.
      youll see the debats on 4chan returnofkings rooshv matt forney rollo tomassi ratioanle male naughtynomad chateau heartiste etc.
      http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1552286/posts

you cant be a man and we cant be women. thats nature. If gendar is a social construct so should homo and trans.

More from Nivedita Rai

By Prakshi Saha

By nishant anand

By Namrata Verma