“Am I Really A Rape Victim?” It’s Time We Face Some Unheard Stories: CREA Contest Winning Entry

The following article is a winning entry in the CREA contest on “Violence And Women: What Remains Unseen “

By  Trippayar Sahasranaman Priyaa:

“Dear diary,
The whole country might stand as one against the crime, yet the eyes of my relatives said it all. I hear people whisper in each other’s ears when they see me walk across the street. The government may hang them or castrate them but what they plucked out of my life can never be restored.”

From the diary of a rape victim who survived the storm yet struggles in its aftermath.

rapes

“I make my living by selling myself, and if I report that I was raped, the society would rather laugh at me. But today I feel dominated, subdued and humiliated, which I never felt when I did what my job needed me to do. It’s about the life long suffering that my mind will undergo, after those horrible eleven minutes.”

From the heart of a newly made tongue tied slave, whom the world calls ‘prostitute.’

“Who said that girls alone can be victims? Today I learnt that men should be scared of other men too. If my father or mother had taken the care to explain everything to me explicitly as they did with my sister, today I wouldn’t have fallen a prey to the senior boys who left the lower half of mine bleeding and my mental peace shattered forever.”

-The words of a school boy in a world where ignorance is no longer bliss.

“Only three years of sentence for a juvenile? That is sure to promote juvenile crimes. What he learnt in 16 years cannot be unlearnt in three years.”

– A country that is petrified after the judge’s decision for Nirbhaya’s case.

“Dear diary,
It only took me five minutes to shatter the relationship that I built for the last three years. I respect my parents and the bonds that I forged with them are the only reason for me allowing him to tie the knot- It is ‘He’ who I respected as God from the day I married Him until five minutes ago. All that I needed was a little bit of time, to get accustomed to the fact that I am his wife. Yet, He couldn’t wait.
I wonder if I can consider myself on par with Nirbhaya, yet the rapist is my husband. I cannot report this to anybody, not even tell my parents, as they wouldn’t agree with my views on life. I don’t know if I can be called a rape-victim, but all my life my heart will tell me that I am one.”

– From the diary of a lady married to someone else at heart, and raped by her so called husband.

“I filed a rape case on him today, but actually we had consensual sex after he promised to marry me. Today he is behind the bars as he refused to marry me. Am I really a rape victim? My parents told me so.”

– A girl from the society that is confused about culture and morality.

1. Ashish

Great way to depict different aspects of rape! Good job

2. Vaishali Jain

Rightly declared the winning entry.

3. Raj

– A CRIMINAL who has ruined a man’s life, who deserves to be severely punished

@Author : What’s wrong with you? Are you going to start calling terrorists as pakistani freedom fighters?

1. Raj

And @CREA : I understand you people are pro-feminist and all , but must you gloss over such criminal activities to achieve your ends? Is your hatred against men so much that it triumphs basic human decency ?

2. ReplierToAHarshComment

And @Raj about your comment to CREA, there is no aspect about feminism to CREA, and the competition was not intended to get back at men at all. It was to bring up the unseen aspects about rape. It was intended to collect different opinions about the same and to find out what people(men and women) lack in our country when it comes to violence against women. I guess little understanding of the topic and our intention has made you go way beyond your limits.

3. Raj

Oh really? You casually call a CRIMINAL a “confused girl” and portray her as a victim. Whereas she is a CRIMINAL who has lodged a false rape case and destroyed a man’s life and his family too. You people are the ones going being any limits of decency. Call her out for what she really is.

And I have seen CREA’s website and submissions. I find them with a feminist bent and many of them are anti-male, either explicitly by blaming the entire male gender or implicitly by ignoring the plight of men. Please take a look at your own “winning entries”. Don’t wash your hands off them, after all it was your group that judged and promoted these articles.

4. ReplyToAHarshComment

@Raj : The title is “unseen stories” and nobody is saying that you have to sympathize with such a person who has filed a rape! There are so many aspects to rape in our country, some are filed by a person with no actual basis! The author is trying to hint at that.

By Jenne Maxwell