Girls Morally Obligated Not To Have Sex Before Marriage, Says The Judge!

By Lohita Turlapati:

“Girls are morally and socially bound not to indulge in sexual intercourse before a proper marriage”, reads a 19- page order passed by a judge of the fast track court. This news is making headlines almost everywhere and we can hear the furor of those people who are crying foul over this judgment. The Indian Penal Code(IPC) defines rape in its Section 375 as sexual intercourse with a woman against her will, without her consent, by coercion, misrepresentation or fraud or at a time when she has been intoxicated or duped, or is of unsound mental health and in any case if she is under 16 years of age. Clearly, our Penal code states that pre-marital consensual sex is not illegal. Whereas, morality is subjective. So should we really respond to this order?

Consent

Although, it is important to note here that this order was passed while acquitting a man that had allegedly promised to marry the girl and had taken her to Jammu for a week where he had raped her. Based on circumstantial evidence, the judge acquitted the man. The judge also states that stories of kidnap and rape are often fabricated by girls and that “It is these false cases which tend to trivialize the offence of rape and undermine its gravity”. Cases such as these can, therefore, be tricky to judge the genuineness of as even a girl’s intentions can at times be unscrupulous. That being said, where a rape has in fact taken place, the consequences are unavoidable for the women whereas, a man can easily get away and the women suffers physically, emotionally as well as socially.

This only calls for more transparent and clear implementation of written laws as proof in such cases are generally limited to narration and psychological behaviour. What this does not call for is insensitive orders that raise questions on the morality and social obligations of today’s women, prior to judgement. We can only be called an equal society, if these same questions are raised on the accused man’s behaviour at the same time. We live in a society today where both the male and female gender are gaining equal importance and are free to represent their opinions and these opinions and decisions must be respected, especially if the decision is to not have sex.

When some might say that our society is conservative, others say this same society penned the words of the kama sutra that states that kama is a goal of human life. However, what people ignore is that it also states that kama cannot be isolated from dharma or righteousness.

There needs to be a loud shout out to the men and women today to hold their righteousness when it comes to satisfying their carnal pleasures and also to our justice system to ensure that all orders and laws that are passed are sensitive to both genders of the human race. The world has been ridden by the problem of sexual harassment since times immemorial and where today we are blessed with a legal system to ensure justice, we must not misuse this and a the same time law must grant us what it exists for.

1. K.B.Srivastava

The judgment of honourable judge is alright, but if a boy really loves and want to marry that girl, sexual relationship with her before marriage is not bad…..kbsrivastava52@gmail.com

2. LemonTeaLover

true, sexual relationship with her is not bad, as long as she agrees to it! a forced sexual relationship is bad, is what the article is trying to say

3. T R Rao

Our Indian ethos determine the stages of social behavior and development in the four phases of Dharma, Artha, Kama and Moksha. The ethos determine the inter-relationship between these four stages without which the life cycle is not complete and neither does the social evolution. In the order, kama is placed at the third position with Dharma and Artha coming ahead of kama. The whole meaning of this exercise is to place dharma at the forefront of social evolution and behaviour. Once dharma is followed religiously , then the importance or not of the other stages is determined and understood better. Unfortunately, to-day’s society had fallen prey to the western ethos where dharma comes much later than kama and western society places kama at no-1 position. While following the good in any civilization is encouraged , the negative aspects of the civilization which we tend to follow must be relegated to the last. Once we confuse between our own ethos and western ethos and term western ethos as modern and our own civil structure as ancient, we push the philosophy of dharma behind the scenes and then follows the chaos that goes along through following he wrong path. If, we have to evolve as a better society, every one both male and female of the species must give importance to Dharma as the pillar of light that will guide our destiny. Society will develop better with that kind of ethos. Unfortunately, our un-holy godmen, lack of understanding of our own ethos is contributing this maladies in the society and it needs urgent correction. I congratulate Lohita, for her nicely written article which reflects the current state of confusion in our society which is not limited to citizens but also to law enforcing agencies, judiciary etc. Well done Lohita…

4. Aravind

There are lot of laws and judgements against men because of their gender. Even in this case, the girl wanted to accuse man for rape because he decided to break up from the relationship. Of course no punishment for girl for breaking up. And men still think they are overpirviliged.

By Alakta

By Sara Sharma

By Vaishnavi Gond