This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by rajumoza. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

How One Man Modified A Second-Hand Maruti 800 Into A Dazzling Sports Car!

More from rajumoza

By Raju Moza:

Jagjit Singh, creator of the modified Maruti

Raju Moza (RM): How did the idea of making such a car strike?
Jagjit Singh: I always tried different things. Though I inherited the automobile business from my father, I always explored new initiatives. I have been making modified cars for people with disabilities, nearly modifying more than 170 cars. My customers have been driving these cars since the last 16-17 years successfully. Moreover, I used to personally aspire to buy a sports car but always found it way beyond my budget. So one fine day, I got an idea to fulfil my desire and started working on this car.

RM: What is the model of the car you have modified?
JS: It’s a second-hand Maruti 800. I bought it for Rs. 35,000 from a dealer in Vasant Kunj and then started working on it.

RM: How much time and money did it take to make this?
JS: It took me nearly three years to make this and has cost me a bomb as it entailed certain types of dyes beside the opportunity cost. With such a hole in my pocket, I am looking for an external investor to fund this project and scale it up commercially.

RM: If I am not mistaken, you have got the design registered with the patent authority of India?
JS: Yes we recently received the certificate of registration from the patent office of India. The design of the car now stands patented.

RM: What is the way forward now?
JS: We have got overwhelming response from people and everyone wants to buy this but we are stuck in bureaucratic quagmire. To enable mass production, we need necessary government clearances, which will be costly, plus the cost of necessary tools entailed for mass production. Now, if we will spend so much money on just approvals, the dream of giving a sports car to the student at an affordable price goes for a toss.

RM: But you have not changed the engine; you are just modifying an existing car? Why does it need approvals? In my limited understanding, your invention should be celebrated.
JS: If I had been abroad, I would have turned into a celebrity. But here in India, I am struggling to take this on road.

RM: I really wish you good luck.
JS: Thanks and I really need wishes to make my dream a reality.

1. aachman

trust me we need a better governance let AAP in delhi. we have such talented ppl

2. Ashish Gupta

good to great innovation from India… we can do better modification..but this is best.. a sports car 800 CC ( affordable) this is what I see.. in few years..
    Jagjit – Please start a company…for common MAN.. BEST OF LUCK

3. shobhit094shohbit

Amazing design..

Can u share Cost for this car design..

4. debasish malakar

Indian crowd is totally different from the crowd you see in US or someother places. Everyone here is so afraid of taking risks and chances so you are not able to pitch in your Idea to a new level. But ya a great lead you have taken should go a lot more far i expect.

5. Ranjan Sapra

Hi Jagjit, congratulations for making such a beautiful piece.
    I am not a political person & as far I have heard, I feel if you write a mail to Mr. Narender Modi (CM | Gujrat), he might take interest to help you. There is no harm i trying …
    All the very best .. 🙂

6. Arun Chitlangia

My request to authorities to soften the laws for such initiatives. Even I would like to buy one. Is it similar work to DC (Dilip Chabaria)?

7. priyanka

But with the same engine the car is going to need a lot of maintenance! You will have to spend monthly on servicing it

8. apurvachitte

why dont start a company abroad, and then import this in India?? What say?

1. gangadhar

yup… that brillant idea didnt occur to him I guess.
      It’d be a simple walk in the park… start a company abroad and import in India… so easy.. silly him.

2. Abhishek

DO you know how much is the Import custom for Cars ???
      It is near to 100% meaning is the cost DOUBLE after production there +++ getting clearance in India again for the same things. The person who has designed this Beauty has this much brains hence he wants clearance from Indian ministers to take this on Indian ROadz..

3. Dr. Diana Hardy

You’re right, he should start a company abroad to improve the business of modified cards. So many people will buy your cars happily. Wish you a good luck!

~Dr. Diana Hardy

9. Sankalp Singh

Hi Jagjit,
    It feels nice to see such enthusiasm to modify a car, and give it such a neat design, but the problem here in India is the vague rules and laws.
    Some of them are as follows –

1. Design needs to get a certificate from ARAI, in terms of safety (crash test), pollution norms + govt norms.
    2. Govt. norms say – bigger engine translates to bigger car, higher ground clearance translates to bigger car, more than 4 meters means more taxes. The overall design of a vehicle cannot be altered.

In these situations, I would suggest you that, please do not waste your god-gifted talent here in India, reach out to manufacturers outside. Companies like – KIA, Renault, Honda always look out for cool designs.

Also, you can try reaching out Mr. Ratan Tata.
    And honestly speaking who would not love an affordable coupe !!!

1. FH

Laws related to increased taxation on engine capacity are quite common across countries (e.g., UK, Japan). Also, all developed nations have very strict norms related to crash testing and carbon emissions. It is not just India.

10. Sudesh Dwivedi

Hi Jagjit..
    Congrats First.
    U have done a great work.. I m personally feeling Proud after seeing such good work in India. Hope u will go great wid it.
    My all wishes are wid u.

11. Harander singh

Sir great job ! Plz can you disclose the total cost of this magnificent sports car ??

12. Pratibha

I guess there is no use of wasting time here in India. You deserve to settle abroad and be a millionaire. Even if you get successful with the clearances here in India, Chiddu will be after your hard earned money! Good luck 🙂

13. Rohit Hire

hey hi jagjit… why don’t you reach out maruti India n show them your designs… maybe they can help you out

14. Varadhan

Hi Jadjit,
    I do appreciate your efforts. That car is a really good design and hope it is of low cost too. But for the question “you have not changed the engine; you are just modifying an existing car? Why does it need approvals? In my limited understanding, your invention should be celebrated.”, your answer “If I had been abroad, I would have turned into a celebrity. But here in India, I am struggling to take this on road.” doesn’t seem relevant. I don’t think just because you modified a car can make you a celebrity even abroad.

15. Jack

Show it to different car manufacturers including foreign ones. India is not a place for innovations but just dumping obsolete electronics and deprecated auto models.

16. Narender Singh Phartyal

Hi Jagjit, first of all congrats for making such a beautiful car.

I am feeling proud after seeing such an outstanding talent. I think you should look forward to overseas as nothing is left in India. It is completely destroyed by our great politicians.

17. Rosan

Hey Jagjit
    Congrats….wish you gud luck!!!

18. Shubham Mehta

Hello jagjit,

first off all,congrates .. U have really done a gr8 job, car seems to be imported, i m a automobile engg. I too loves modifying car , but never did its my dream. Why don’t you expand your business in modifying car for all people not for handicap, anyway bst of luck

19. devishreeblog

wow…. wat an innovation….. kudos to u ….

20. makeshrohash

Jagjit , We need people like you more in India .. Thouse who innovate and produce.. there are lot of PE investors , including Times of India Initiative – that provides mentors and investment.. i am sure your dreams can fly in real . All the best !

21. peesapati vijaya gopal

wonderful.i appreciate it fully.but dilip chabria also does similar works.try collaborating

22. Ravi Singh

Very Impressive design. A similar car was designed by SAN engineering in collaboration with Kingfisher but never took off. A few can be seen on streets of Goa.

23. Sapam Rishikanta Singh

wow you really done a great job. And if i like to buy this types of car how much it should be???

24. Avinash Kumar

Kudos to you Jagjit for keeping the spirit of the Maruti 800 alive. Such a wonderful design! At first, I didn’t even believe that it was the same car from Maruti Suzuki Collaboration..

25. Chavan Bhasker

Great work done guy…….

these are real gems need to consider …..
    n he said right ..he could have been celebrity he did this abroad….but here in our india just an ….struggler

26. Abhishek Biswas

hats off!!

27. shravan

I always a lover of creaters and surching new in old one …
    So I love this creation and create…
    If I want to modify my Marathi 800 how much it costs?

28. bhaskar koli

Can you make my maruti 800
    plz tell me us cost

29. virender singh

Paaji tusi great ho. your work is appreciable but this is India. jida na chalda hai ohi bikdaa hai. paave jis marji price te. I think we should consider the work not just the name. at last. waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh. Chad di kala ch raho.

30. Aksh Gavde

u r awesm man!
    I would lyk to wrk wid u!
    Contact 09552620709

31. Ratnadeep Garudkar

Can u plz share mi this cars cost

32. Bhavesh Trivedi

Thenks jag it ihave old model maruti 800 I have changed its engine with original new company engine and it’s a my lucky car I don’t want to sell
    Now I will modifie Thanks.

33. naveen

hello
    i saw your car modified and i wish i should also do it, general question like everone

i dont own a car but i will, can u tell me how much does it cost to modyfie maruti 800

iam from bangalore please let me know…………………………

34. V.P.Yadav

My slf V.P Yadav,i also wany my car to be modified,and i wanted you u plz help me in this.
    I have Maruti 800 car of dec 1989. Model.i m frm lucknow. Plx modified my car i m very much interested on it..
    My email is coolvj0601@gmail.com plz msg as soon as.possible.

35. bharat yadav

….sir I am interested about car modified thinks.I want to trained by you (sir)

36. Anosh

Im sure many in kerala would love to see your creation try Going through the engineering colleges… It will give you some different ideas im sure… All the best

37. skreddy

Looking for this car

38. mujahid khan

Sir i like your modified car ….
    And i have intrested to this car
    Plz give me your cell number bcoz i think to modify my maruti Suzuki 800 car

39. mujahid khan

Good car

40. manash

Sir i like your modified car ….
    And i have intrested to this car

41. Tarique Anwar

sir i like ur modified car and i want to kodified my 800 car plz give me mob no on my mail

42. ziya khan

I want to your nomber coz i want to talk about my car

43. ziya khan

I want to your nom

44. Firdous Ahmad

hello sir it was very nice to see your modified maritime 800, but here in India there is very limited market for such type of cars.
    you should contact with Pitbull Motors in USA,

45. Nishant Jeengar

what a nice car… sirr ur great i mean its gr8….. i am also trying to modifing my car…..

46. Aditya jaju

I have 800 i want modifi my carplz reply soon

47. Raj

Well done sir, I want to make my car like this too how much the cost I need to pay for that kindly get in touch with me and what is your contact no. and address…………

48. sarfaraz

Kitna pesa large ga

49. moloy das

I want modify my maruti 800 car 1998 model,how much will cost

50. Ranjith acharya

plz tell me d cost to modify like this I’m excited

51. francy chacko

Comment *what will be total cost if i provide a maruti 800

52. subham dad

Can you do these with my car
    And please tell me its cost

53. Santosh Hulawale

Jagjit Singh sir you really are an inspiration for every Indian. Its probably the story of every Indian as I my selves have been struggling to make a living even after creating INDRO, INDIA’S tallest & only Humanoid robot with 10 functional fingers. I have exhibited my humanoid robot INDRO in more than 6 Tech fests all over India, and will be exhibiting it in more 8 tech fests. Raju Moza Sir I would like to share my complete story through your medium YKA. Please email me on santosh9111@rediffmail.com for further communication.

More from rajumoza

By Sajad Rasool

By RAAZ DHEERAJ SHARMA✍️

By Accountability Initiative