Shouldn’t We Have A Maximum Age Limit For Politicians To Contest In Elections?

By Deepak Venkateswaran:

I often feel frustrated over the contradiction that a country of over 50% youth, full of energy and passion, is being governed by a group of aged politicians with narrow vision and full of internal disputes among themselves. The fact that many of them lack basic education is of extreme concern for India, which is to be the youngest nation in the world by 2030. The average age of our leaders in Parliament is 73 and our PM is 81 years old.

Youth

The sad part about this situation is that the youth doesn’t want to enter politics themselves, while those who wish to do something for the society aren’t able to do so without having a political DNA. This has bought about a quagmire in the political scenario as the senior and old politicians make it to the Legislative houses and strangle the ideas of good and efficient governance which are currently the need of the hour.

What we need, as of now, is a strong regulation in the eligibility to contest in the general elections. And the solution demands to be strict and aggressive. A few possible solutions that show a ray of hope to revamp the current mess are:

1) Restriction of the age to contest elections, just like a bureaucrat or any service job. Even our politicians need a break.

2) Politicians should have a minimum standard of education without which they cannot even file their nominations. Candidates those who are eligible to contest should be given some kind of endorsement from an independent body or the ECI itself.

3) The public should have the right to question the portfolios allotted to any minister based on his qualifications and his past work.

4) And any kind of Nepotism should not be supported. No two members of any influential family should be allowed to contest elections at the same time.

While many more solutions could exist, these are a few which I believe could make a swift change towards the desired direction.

Meanwhile, this does not mean that the old and experienced politicians should be side-lined. Their seasoned and valuable experience must be harnessed by giving them advisory and mentor posts to the council of ministers and departments where they have previously held the office.

The urgent need of the hour is a government where the youth have a significant say and are full of passion and innovative ideas clubbed with high energy, catalyzed by the valuable experience of senior leaders. A vision that sounds a bit difficult to achieve, while in reality, is not.  An India which is young deserves to be led by the young themselves.

1. LemonTeaLover

Completely agree with points 1 and 2.In fact, I love the idea of an endorsement. Points 3 and 4 however can be subject to debate. To question the porfolio assigned by pubic becomes logistically challenging as we are a billion-plus strong in terms o population. The government either sits answering every question or does its job.Also,If two members of any influential family are competent enough, then their family background should not hinder their supposed good intentions for the country.You haven’t mentioned political record..

This is a great thought, overall. We need to amend the laws that allow our politicians to access positions of power and be more open about the ways in which today’s youth can enter the field. If this does happen, then we can definitely say that our country’s growth and progress will be stronger , faster and far more efficient then its current snail-paced approach.

1. Deepak Venkateswaran

Thank You for the feedback. Points 3 and 4 i too agree have to be discussed and decided upon. However it can be made to link to the RTI act or something, as in let the government reveal the party in power reveal what sort of reason behind a particular portfolio.
      And about point 4 , was actually aimed keeping in mind that top level politicians take their sons and get party tickets first time itself. This is a blow to grass root level leadrs who have worked their way up. For example Digviay Singh recently inducted his son Jaivardhan into Congress. This has to be stopped according to me. They should have minimum working experience among grass root level people.

2. Mani Zéus Sankér

Yes , great job Deepak 🙂

1. Deepak Venkateswaran

Thanks Mani! 🙂

3. shanim manzoor

Change rarely ever comes easily in this country. Keep it up, nice article, man.

1. Deepak Venkateswaran

@Shanim, thanks bro! 🙂
      what u said is true. Its kinda very challenging to bring about a change in India. But i am still optimistic and hope for the best. We are a better society when compared to any other nation in the world. All we need is a change in the mindset, and change will begin in itself.
      Well its a gradual process i understand…

4. Dhairya Bhardwaj

Its time 2 bring change in our country.. Nice thoughts Deepak to start it. Its only the youth (we) of the country dt can bring the change n d time has come 4 it.. Go ahead guys.

1. Deepak Venkateswaran

Thank You Dhairya.
      Like you said, only we can bring a change about in the society. We need to pledge ourselves to create a better nation for ourselves as well as for future generations to come.
      By 2030 we will be the youngest country, and to harness this young energy we need to prepare now itself.

5. Shivangi Singh

I really wish someone could implement the above points !

By Vaishnavi Gond

By Aheed