This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Rajkanya Mahapatra. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Top 5 Rap Artists In India, Because Eminem And Lil Wayne Are Too Mainstream

More from Rajkanya Mahapatra

By Rajkanya Mahapatra:

As the present generation waits for the next Eminem single to release or have Lil Wayne on the loop or are stuck to ‘Holy Grail’, it is but important that we look back home and reaffirm our appreciation for our Desi Rap Artists, for the hip hop community in the country is larger than ever, producing quality music by the second. Here are the Top 5 Rap Artists in India –

1) Honey Singh

Honey Singh

With more than 5 million followers on Facebook and Twitter and the country going berserk dancing to ‘Lungi Dance’, Honey Singh tops the list with his popularity, his music and of course all the rap. Hirdesh Singh, an alumni of the Trinity College of Music in London, has won a million hearts since he entered the music scene in 2004.

His album ‘International Villager’ got him the UK Asian Music Award for the Best International Album, 2012. He has also become the Highest Paid artist in Bollywood with a whopping 70 lakhs being paid to him for a song in the upcoming movie ‘Mastaan’.

Here is the link to the No.1 Youtube video for the year 2012, ‘Brown Rang’ — http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqFMFVcCZgI

2) BlaaZe

Blaaze

Remember ‘Be A Rebel’ from Rang De Basanti? Or Amitabh Bachchan rapping away to glory when the end credits were rolling for the movie Bunty aur Babli? Or ‘Gangsta Blues’ from Slumdog Millionaire?

Yes that’s him!

That is Lakshmi Narasimha Vijaya Rajagopala Sheshadri Sharma Rajesh Raman or BlaaZe, cementing himself at the 2nd spot. The most versatile artist on the list, BlaaZe is a producer, singer, songwriter, musician, lyricist and most important of all, a rapper.

Zambia saw little BlaaZe rap his first act ‘We Wish You Well’ for President Chiluba during his election campaign in 1991. He has being active in the music circuit for a good 11 years now collaborating with artists like A.R.Rahman, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, Anu Malik, Pritam, Coco Lee and the list is endless. He also won the MTV Youth Icon of the Year 2008.

BlaaZe’s raps are laced with issues concerning the nation. Listen to ‘Ban the Crooked Police’ or ‘In My Father’s Words’ or enjoy one of his very popular tracks, given in the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JsAEc2ODko

3) Hard Kaur

Hard Kaur

This lady got everybody moving their bodies ‘Like this and Like that’ in the title track of Johnny Gaddar in 2008. In the years after that, India saw Hard Kaur or Taran Kaur Dhillon getting everybody to dance to her raps through tracks like ‘Bass Ek King’ in Singh is King, ‘Main Tera Dhadkan Teri’ in Ajab Prem Ki Ghazab Kahani and more recently with ‘Laung Da Lashkara’ and ‘Rola Pe Gaya’ in Patiala House. ‘Glassy’, ‘Look 4 me’ and ‘Supawoman’ were her top selling singles in the country.

A celebrated woman rapper, Hard Kaur is number 3 on this list of the Top 5 Rap artists in India. Listen to ‘Kattey’ a crazy Coke Studio mix that has Hard Kaur tearing the single apart with her rap skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npKCgowu-Bk

4) Brodha V

Brodha_V

Securing the 4th spot on the list, this young independent rap artist is climbing the charts, getting those Youtube hits and winning everybody’s hearts all in the same time since the release of his single ‘Aathma Raama’  that beautifully mixes rap with Hindustani Classical and Carnatic music.

Vighnesh Shivanand has been called the fastest Indian rapper on many a social platform. He took the Bangalore music circuit by storm when his Associated Act with MWA (Machas With Attitude) in 2008 got over 1000 copies of their tapes being sold physically during live performances and other independent methods. His mixtape ‘Death Punch’ got music directors and producers to take notice of him. He was seen lending his voice to songs like ‘Ready Steady Po’ in Chennai Express and ‘Dheon Dheon’ in Mujhse Fraandship Karoge.

He is also a singer, producer and songwriter who draws his inspiration from none other than the Rap God — Eminem. An artist with a promising career ahead. Listen to his latest single ‘After Party’ :

http://www.youtube.com/user/BrodhaVmusack

5) Baba Sehgal

Baba Sehgal

On number 5 is the ‘King of Rap’. Baba Sehgal took India by surprise and consequently much adulation with his style and charm in ‘Thanda Thanda Pani’, ‘Manjula’ and ‘Dil Dhadke’. The generation that grew up in the 1990s had Baba on repeat on their walkmans.

An extremely gifted rap artist. Baba is also a playback singer and actor. His was the first Indian music video to have been shown on MTV Asia.

Envelope yourself in some old school hip hop with ‘Aage Aage Ladki’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn05uaCh3Ng

1. Narender Singh Phartyal

I don’t consider Honey Singh as a good rapist. I fail to comprehend why he portrays girls in such a bad light in their punjabi songs. Girls in his songs are nothing but sex objects, where he raises questions about their characters. Why always man right in his songs and ‘kudi’, a whore? In his recent song “upar-2 in the air” he predict with full of confidence that if the girl dumped him then her life will end up marrying a loser and her future will only involve washing his undergarments and watching doordarshan.

To be very-2 honest, it breaks my heart when I saw girls moving their bodies on your tunes, without ever realizing whatever you are trying to convey.

2. Narender Singh Phartyal

I don’t consider Honey Singh as a good rap artist. I fail to comprehend why he portrays girls in such a bad light in their punjabi songs. Girls in his songs are nothing but sex objects, where he raises questions about their characters. Why always man right in his songs and ‘kudi’, a whore? In his recent song “upar-2 in the air” he predict with full of confidence that if the girl dumped him then her life will end up marrying a loser and her future will only involve washing his undergarments and watching doordarshan.

3. Divesh

Honey SIngh ROcks ! !

4. jack

Honey singh is a not rapper . He is a pop artist. Uska ek full rap song tak bhi nahi he.

1. Abhishek Brahme

ekdum barabar bhai.. I agree

2. vishal

You are absolutely right jack but I m very dissapointed to the think of about indian youth…

5. Abhishek Brahme

Parry G, Arin DEZ, Shivam Sharma (coming soon) and last but not the least me….

6. havesh

honey singh copied Bohemia & pit bull style

1. vishal

I agree with u bro…

7. simran saini

inn sb kaaa ek hi baap hai..
    BOHEMIA pioneer of punjabi rap.
    go n listen.too bohemia.. u gonna know whose da best..

1. vishal

You are absolutely right simran

8. vishal

I m very dissappointed to all of u because you all are forget the real rapstar and the pioneer of punjabi rap Mr. Respected rapstar bohemia… And he is the real rapstar and god of punjabi rap.

9. Zak

LOL! Stop this craaappp!!
    Honey singh Don’t even come in this list.
    He is not a rapper, but just a singer.
    In the list first should be Brodha V.
    I never saw honey singh rapping.
    If you think he is a rapper then you are wrong, and whatever he does can’t be called rap.
    We can hardly take him as Indian RnB singer (Hardly).
    Please watch some raps or videos of Eminem, Brodha V and all.
    You will come to know what rap means.
    Watch how Brodha V, Eminem and all do freestyles.
    Seriously, YYHS doesn’t even know what is freestyling i think 😀
    i never saw him freestyling

10. aki

Mainstream is ur ass u faggot! … ill punch u if i hea a word about eminem !!!! Ill find you and ill kill u :/ … honey singh is good 🙂 … but u dont compare no1 with the god of rap … that is mainstream now _|_ …

1. Ashwin

hey what the shuck are you barking man, ever listened to bohemia. If not then go and listen. Then You will see that Honey Singh looks like a rat in front of him.

11. SAHBAZ HUSSAIN

is this good thiking

12. bird_call

Broda V deserve 1st|2nd position if u talking abt hip hop.He’s a descent rapper with a great skill of rapping.Broda V sngs subject matter n everythng he does is great.broda v rocks!

13. Ak EUPHORIC

wat da fu** is dis……
    honey singh rapper. grow up kidz…
    top 5 rapper in India are.1)Bohemia(baap of desi rap). 2)Rap engineers..3) Brodha v
    4)Raftaar 5) adhi(hip hop tamizha)

14. Prinjal Boruah

Don’t know about the rest, but Brodha V looks promising. And yes, Honey Singh is not a rapper

15. ThaRRuN

u missed out Hip hop Tamizha-> Aadhi!!!! He’s the first south Indian rapper…He has got limca awards as a rapper!! And, for smurfs-2, sony music made him make music!!!!

1. Lloyd

They won’t bro…they just won’t. Tamil Success will always be second grade. Even though the Language was made for rap.

16. Karan

Emiway…is also a rising street rapper from Mumbai..

17. Lloyd

You guys, and many other Indian rap review websites are HEAVILY biased.
    You forget the mass Influence of Tamil Rap and its quality, being more advanced then literally anywhere in India.
    Lyrics, Flow, Style. Like Really guys? RESEARCH.

1. vimal sheoran age 17 aspiring rapper

if u say honey singh is a rapper than eminem is an ultrasonic missile honey singh n rap hahahahahahahaha

18. ssagar

bohemia is a king of desi hip hop

19. Bhaskar Dabhi

Bohemia is better then all but unlucky he is not indian 😀

20. Amul

Wtf is Honey Singh doing in first place he can be replaced with raftaar
    Once listen to Brodha v Honestly He deserves the first place !

21. R.A.F.T.A.A.R

abe raftaar kon dalega raftaar is the no
    1

More from Rajkanya Mahapatra

By Vivek Verma

By Taha Iqbal