Water Crisis In Major Indian Cities: Not For The Rich And Resourceful!

By Lohita Turlapati:

For over three years, while on my way to school, I have regularly noticed slum dwelling women collecting water in bottles of bisleri that are attached to long wooden sticks by dipping them into the manholes on the sides of roads, to wash their clothes. I’ve always wondered who these women were, where they came from and why do they not receive sufficient water supply in their own residences.

I can recollect another instance of a rickshaw driver yelling at his wife over the phone for finishing off their water in 3 days and complaining about the high prices of water. On further enquiry, he told me that the water they receive at their home is nowhere close to potable and therefore, he finds the need to purchase drinking water from cheap sources to satisfy his family’s needs.

Mumbai has a population of 15 million, more than half of which lives in slum settlements. It is worth remembering that, according to official data, residents of Mumbai get 158 litres of water per day per person on an average. Statistics such as these, however, conceal the reality of the excessive inequality in the distribution of basic services and the consequent hardships faced by the poor who collect water from public standpipes, manholes or borrow from nearby public structures to get their daily household chores done. The difficulty, humiliation, inconvenience and stress they go through in scrounging for or buying this water often goes unrecorded.

What the local slum dwellers have to say about this inadequacy is that, in spite of the existence of Acts that enables local authorities to provide resources and services such as water, electricity and so on in slums, certain government agencies that provide land for slums do not permit the BMC to carry out ‘improvement’ of slums on their land. The role of politicians becomes very critical for these people because, for them, access to these basic resources is more through political, rather than other channels. The system is such that when politicians need support, they receive it through patronage and favours or promises of these.

The question is not just about availability of water, but of clean, uncontaminated water. This scenario can be seen in most major cities of India, the population explosion and enhanced need from the higher income groups seems to be a huge reason for this lack of supply of water to the underprivileged. Simultaneously, the alarming rise in pollution levels in surface water bodies and even in groundwater is adding to this situation. Even a school going child is aware that water and sanitation is a basic human right, as stated by the UN. However, in spite of the existence of various non-political bodies and NGOs that assist slum dwellers with their resource- related problems, this issue seems persistent. As Abdul Sharan, a professor at TISS, Mumbai rightly states, “What we need is a better water policy in larger cities that can cater to the growing needs of citizens. The prevailing ‘adhoc-ism’ in protecting, enhancing and conserving water needs to be done away with”.

1. Vidyut

To put it more bluntly, when Mumbai gets 158 liters of water per person per day on paper, it is talking about total water divided by total population. In reality, parts of Mumbai *never* fall short of water no matter how much they consume and while half of Mumbai, living in the slums takes turns to fill water with buckets. If a family of five has two person filling buckets at a public tap, even if they fill 10 buckets of water, it is at the most two hundred liters of water for five people. The remaining 500 liters of water from that family is also being consumed by those who never face water shortage.

The 158 liters per person statistic very conveniently hides that there are people lucky to get a tenth of that daily and there are people who wouldn’t notice if they wasted ten times that, because it wouldn’t run out. The day our system has the guts to publish water consumption statistics based on consumption per head from shared public taps, water connections at homes and water connections in posh areas is the day these inequalities will become visible.

1. Mehul Gala (@mahigala7)

I Completely second that.

2. Raghavendra rao

It is a very well written piece about the skewed distribution of basic amenities and resources in our cities. All of us who travel by road see the scenes of women washing their clothes near the manholes where the water leaks from the valves. They occupy a piece of the road as most our distribution valves are bang on the road or touching the roads. Most of them are women and young children and it is a shame that we have to witness daily, thinking aloud as to what is happening to our country and how we have not been able to manage our resources better. Not only the valuable time of women and the innocent childhood is robbed from children, but also their lives are endangered by the constant exposure to fast moving traffic and accidents are waiting to happen in the street corners. I think it is time that the so called netas wake up to their vote bank’s basic needs and ensure the potential voters support them by virtue of their good deeds, rather than by means of coercion. Wake up India.

1. Mehul Gala (@mahigala7)

I Completely second that.

3. Mehul Gala (@mahigala7)

Great to see someone throwing more lights on the issues related to basic amenities.
    According to me, this whole concept of ’24 hours’ water supply is incorrect. Unless you have a limited supply of something, you will not value that thing. Also, water distribution should happen according to the population density of the particular region.
    Just to clarify, I am not in a favor of the famous political policy ‘Steal from the rich and give it to the poor’, All I need is a stable equilibrium must be established in our society ensuring that not a single soul has to suffer to for his thirst.

By ARUN KASHYAP

By Sheeva Yamuna

By Charkha features