The Curse Of The ‘Educated Zombie’, The Biggest Crisis Of Our Times!

By Arun:

What is the biggest problem that humanity is currently facing? What do you think? Poverty? Terrorism? Economic down turn? Global warming?

Education

Each of us have an opinion to share about the question, perhaps we have thought about it in greater depth and wondered what might be done; it is indeed a spaghetti of problems! But, if you were to ask me the same question, I would tell you a different story. The story of “The educated zombies”.

There are 7.046 billion people on Earth, and around 1,252,139,596 (More than a Billion!) are in India alone. Of these 1 Billion or so people in India, 46.7% are below the age of 24! That’s a lot of young people, don’t you think? With such a high population of young minds, why is India still struggling with problems? (Don’t even ask me what they are)

Young minds don’t seem to have become seeds of change, but most of them are becoming “educated zombies!” That’s an interesting term, isn’t it?

To define an “educated zombie”, I would say, it is a young person who is made to believe what they are taught to believe and do what they are told to do. Someone who is cultivated to work, not think! Someone who is nurtured to follow, not lead!

This is a bigger crisis! A crisis that when solved solves other problems.

If education is a gift that is supposed to lead young minds, the same minds that will go on to lead a nation, why do we give them a tainted “gift”, or worst of all, none at all!

Tainted? Yes!

Did you know that today’s educational system (In most colleges/countries) creates an enormous number of educated zombies, and not independent thinkers? We have too many already. Well, I should agree that there are occasional/special minds, I agree, but we have a system that mass produces educated zombies by design.

I think this is a crisis of all crises!

May be law makers, educators, teachers and students will wake up. Or, maybe they won’t. But I believe that the reader will find meaning in these words. If you think you are one among this demographic, or someone you know is, then wake up!

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Dream, think & Act. Good luck.

1. Zia

very true.. “factory manufactured machines”.. colleges here are all about marks and placements.. there is no learning. Maybe the problem lies in the way this country is run, for a person brought up in a poor family the first priority here will be what he earns, rather than what he gets to learn. So many people go for colleges and courses that offer a promising job, rather than doing what they truly desire.. and end up becoming one of those “educated zombies”.

2. Arun Jay

@Zia

I agree with you. I threw up college because of the same reason. There’s no meaning in pursuing education for a degree’s sake!
    The problem, as I see it, lies in a) Attitude of students/teachers/leaders in the way education is perceived. and b) The Leaders who run the country are being either complacent, or ignorant; or they are not fit enough for leading a state/nation, and that we need more young minds into leadership.

Cheers, Thanks for the comment.

3. Nikita

You should have written more…u just addressed the term….i definitely agree this is a MAJOR crisis….the fact that…in a society like ours…having a opinion is equivalent to a crime….”Raise your voice”..and they WILL shun you down.

4. saem hashmi

Hats off..!!! amazingly written with truth dripping out to the last worxd…

5. Ruchika Airon

Spot on! What an amazing article…..we are taught to follow and not lead…destructive, unproductive obedience is our curse!

6. Akhil Kumar

Exactly my sentiments, well articulated 🙂

7. arunjchess

I wrote this poem in the exam hall!

Three hours of solitude!

“The bell has rung ,and
    it’s time for the final trial.
    They call it ‘exam’, and-
    I call it ‘fate!’
    those – three hours of solitude.
    You never taught me the ‘why’s’
    you never taught me the ‘how’s’
    data,data- that’s all you give.
    and that’s all you expect.
    A college for college’s sake,and
    teachers for teachers’ sake,
    that’s all you’ve got
    and nothing more.
    You hide your mischief
    behind numbers, behind data.
    You call it placement, and I call it job
    that does nothing but outsource me.
    You play business,
    you play politics,
    but, this isn’t a game
    but a student’s life.
    Is money all that you care about?
    whenever you’re going to change?
    until then,
    sem’ after sem’
    year after year,
    three hours of solitude. ”
    — Arun J

8. Yeshu Aggarwal

Exactly the issue I felt when I came back upon finishing my degree in a foreign country. I’ve been trying to hire a few people for data entry purposes and it’s shocking to learn that their basic mathematics of adding and subtracting is so poor. They’re always looking for guidance. I do hope that we will soon stop manufacturing and soon start developing people.

9. Vidhi

The problem thought from the cause which is quite right but would really like to know if you are not the same …. what are you doing to solve this problem … I would like to help in any way I can

10. Avani

one of the prominent reason behind “Educated Zombies” is that the competition is breathtaking in each and every field and to top over it ppl r forced to do what is taught and told dem to do n in dis process dey stop using der mind in d fear of losing the top most place.

By Namrata Vijay

By Sneha Banerjee

By Silca