Dear Ladies, These Are The Reasons Why We Get Raped And How We Can Avoid It

By Japleen Pasricha:

DISCLAIMER: This article is a satire, but we thought you already knew it, right? It has also been published here. 

Ladies, ladies, ladies! It’s time for an intervention. I have been defending you, putting up with your excuses and sometimes rubbish for a long time now. But your imprudent behaviour and “I care less” attitude has disgusted me. You are becoming a menace to the society by spoiling the reputation of innocent young men.

Didn’t so many of our well-wishers such as politicians, policemen, VC’s of different universities, god men, members of Khap Panchayat tell us how we can avoid getting raped? But you Madame just won’t listen. Didn’t you learn anything from probably the first media hyped rape of a North East student which happened in Delhi? Don’t you remember why she was raped? Because she was roaming around at night at 2 am with another girl friend wearing a mini-skirt. Of course, she deserved it. What was she thinking that a group of innocent young men who were just having a night stroll in their car would leave her unattended? As it is North East girls are famous for being “easy” and they usually “ask for it”. You still didn’t learn when our very concerned Chief Minister Smt. Sheila Dikshit advised women “not to be too adventurous” at night. But, you were too arrogant to pay any heed to her words. You called the poor lady names who only wanted the best for you. Girls today have no respect for their elders. Is that what you have learnt from your mothers? What kind of mothers are these, I wonder.

Print

Then you had another chance to improve when a BPO employee in Gurgaon was gang-raped at night whilst returning from work. The Police Chief gave a perfect solution that women shouldn’t be working after eight, but alas, he was just banging his head against the wall. Poor soul, he tried to help you. Little did he know that his true concerns for women would backfire and he too would be called names.

You did not listen when the honourable chief minister of West Bengal Smt. Mamata Banerjee analysed the cause of increasing rapes in India. She was very right in saying and I quote, “earlier if men and women would hold hands, they would get caught by parents and reprimanded but now everything is so open. It’s like an open market with open options,” but you still shamefully interacted with men on the streets, in your neighbourhoods, offices, schools, universities and only God knows what happened behind those bushes.

Pearls of wisdom poured in from various sides during the 2012 Delhi gang rape case. Shri Abhijit Mukherjee, son of Honourable Pranab Mukherjee opined, “What’s basically happening in Delhi is a lot like Egypt or elsewhere, where there’s something called the Pink Revolution, which has very little connection with ground realities. In India, staging candle-lit marches, going to discotheques — we did all this during our student life too, we were students too — I know every well what kind of character students should have. Those who claim to be students — I can see many beautiful women among them — highly dented-painted — they’re giving interviews on TV, they’ve brought their children to show them the scenes. I have grave doubts whether they’re students, because women of that age are generally not students.” The famous scientist, Dr. Anita Shukla gave her expert advice and said, “The victim should have surrendered when surrounded by six men, at least it could have saved her intestines.” Then the very pious god man Shri Asaram Bapuji showered his holy blessing on you. He immediately knew the cause of the gang rape and solved the case in a jiffy. His holy words were “Only 5-6 people are not the culprits. The victim daughter is as guilty as her rapists… She should have called the culprits brothers and begged before them to stop… This could have saved her dignity and life. Can one hand clap? I don’t think so.” But did you call the rapist “bhaiya” while he was raping you? Did you plead and beg with him? No, you did not. Then why cry? Why blame the rapist when you yourself couldn’t avoid your rape . Remember learning this phrase during school days, “God help those who help themselves.“

Then the very honourable judge, Shri Virender Bhatt came to your rescue. He made the observation, “Girls are morally and socially bound not to indulge in sexual intercourse before a proper marriage, and if they do so, it would be to their peril and they cannot be heard crying later that it was rape.” So ladies, what do you think, that you can just saunter around, flirt with men and then cry foul. Didn’t you learn anything from the even more honourable lawyer, A.P. Singh? Didn’t he say and I quote, “…if my daughter was having premarital sex and moving around at night with her boyfriend, I would have burnt her alive. I would not have let this situation happen. All parents should adopt such an attitude.” I’m sure you would all want to have such a doting father who cares so much about you. But what do you do to such a father? You play around with men and bring shame to the family. Of course, the father will have to take such a step with his darling princess. Did you leave him a choice?

Also you didn’t take the advice of our very deemed and sensible Khap Panchayat. These intelligent people came up with so many solutions from not consuming chowmein, to stop using mobiles and wearing jeans. From getting married at the age of 16 to banning Bollywood movies and TV serials. But, did you listen ladies, did you? No, you did not. And that is why you get raped. I hope you see the sense here and learn something.

When RSS Chief Shri Mohan Bhagwat advised you not to live in India and instead migrate to Bharat and blamed western culture, you didn’t listen. When SP leader Abu Azmi advised you not to roam around at night with young boys, you didn’t listen. When Andhra Pradesh police chief V Dinesh Reddy said women provoke men to rape them by wearing flimsy clothes, you didn’t listen. When the government advised school girls to wear overcoats, you didn’t listen. When the Mumbai government banned lingerie mannequins to stop rape, you didn’t listen. When Chhattisgarh Home Minister Nanki Ram Kanwar asked you to perform pooja to put stars in their correct position in order to avoid rape, you didn’t listen. When BJP minister Kailash Vijayvargiya advised you to maintain “maryada” or face music, you didn’t listen. Then how can you cry when you get raped? How can you blame those innocent men and ruin their future when you yourself won’t budge a bit.

You don’t even know how to report a rape. And when one poor SHO in UP asked the victim to take off her clothes and show him where she was raped, little did he know that his true concerns would be considered as barbaric and misogynistic. I don’t understand what has come into these ladies. So many sensible men as well as women trying their best to help them and these ladies just won’t listen. Later they crib that the government isn’t doing enough to ensure women’s safety.

Then you had the audacity to question one of the most reputed universities. How dare you woman, how dare you! You thought men and women have equal rights in this country, only a fool would believe you. You thought you could also stay out of the hostel premises as late as men do and enjoy the relaxed rules which only men have access to. Of course, the university took the right action by whisking you off its campus.

Last of all, our very own protector, the brave director of Central Bureau of Investigation, Shri Ranjit Sinha gave the utmost perfect solution to all your woes. He argued, “If you can’t prevent rape, enjoy it.” How could you miss this mastermind ladies, how could you? After all the above measures fail including pleading and begging with your rapist and calling him “bhaiya”, you should just stay silent, keep calm and enjoy the rape. After all how many times in this lifetime will you get this golden opportunity. You think, you’re that lucky that you might get raped twice or even thrice? Nah!

Why have you become so selfish? Have you forgotten your true duties to the society? There is a phrase in German which says that a woman has three K’s in her life, i.e., Kinder, Küche und Kirche which roughly translates into children, kitchen and church. But ladies nowadays neither care about their household duties nor the beautiful gift they have received from nature, that is, to make babies. I read this amazing article by a very concerned mother, Chandrika R. Krishnan, assistant professor at the Manipal University who was advising women to stop and smell the rose in their journey called life, but today’s modern ladies even tore her down into pieces. But ladies, it’s not all your fault. Who made you aspire to careers you couldn’t have in the first place? Who tricked you into believing that marriage wasn’t your best option? That’s right: feminists! They are to blame for society’s evils, be it the decline of traditional marriage or the increase in divorce cases, the feminist agenda is behind everything.
Now, you still have time to save yourself, to mend your ways, that is, if you have any shame left. You just need to take the free advice that people keep pouring in and you might be able to live a “respectable” life.

And you might, just might stop disgusting me.

Photo credit: Abhinav Bhatt

1. Jeet Kar

.The whole article is a big piece of bullshitt!!…. it is for no reason despising women for what they are. I agree a woman is naturally manipulative they want to live freely, they want to be empowered. Why rape??? if this is the question, the answer is IMMORALITY in men. Why do we need to stop women from roaming at night why not men?? why tell them to stay in veil ,why not men put a “ghunghat” and roam around??. SOUNDS IMPRACTICAL !! right??? if this is impractical for men , it i equally impractical for women. The only solution to this problem is increased security, you cant just blame the victim always. It is the basic duty of our FAILED govt. to provide the basic amenities which include food, shelter and security to its citizens in return of the TAXES that they have paid.

INDIA boasts itself as the LARGEST DEMOCRACY, which means equality to all its citizens to enjoy all the HUMAN RIGHTS. But sadly in INDIA only the men are considered CITIZENS. Our leaders talk about Women Empowerment and when such events occur they advice the opposite e.g. stay in home after 8, have shame, wear unrevealing clothes etc. , is that EMPOWERMENT or dictatorship?? the govt. is playing a double sided game with us.When its not able to give security to its citizen it simply blames the VICTIM!!.Moral is Change the Govt. not the empowered women.

1. YouthKiAwaaz

It is satire, we thought we put it out there.

2. UD

Well, lol, I was just thinking- this article is so not gonna make any difference to those it was meant for. Those who dont have any power to thonk will not get the satire and sarcasm

2. Kshitij Dhyani

You missed the point Jeet, didn’t you?

1. Arvind

Exactly the problem with india. We conveniently leave out vital details just so we can get a chance to speak!

2. sukaina majeed

he sure did…

3. Jeet Kar

if this was a satire, my comment was too …… UNDERSTANDDDD babyyyy 😀 😀

4. Kshitij Dhyani

:s I’m not your baby you jerk!

3. Alisha Sinha

What a sarcasm ..Thumbs up 🙂

4. shumaila

shameful piece of writing. yes the rapist are innocent in your eyes because u yourself are a rapist. to hell with you and your views. may u live the worst life ever. shame shame shame on the writer and to all those who support his/her views.

1. Japleen Pasricha

It is sarcastic for God’s sake. Do you understand satire?

2. Kshitij Dhyani

Lel.. e_e

3. YouthKiAwaaz

Dear Shumaila, as we stated in the piece above, and is evident, this has been written to mock those who blame women and stupid habits for rape. This is purely to make fun of such people.

5. Sandeep Kumar

thought are depends on human it is the part of some years holding hands are true types like
    Hus and wif and brother and sis and even in friends…….please do not put rubbish comments…. please respect your thought but think in a manner which improves the level of man or women bye,,,,,,,,,,,,

1. Kshitij Dhyani

Seriously, what did you even write up there?

6. Aanchal

Sarcastic to the core and very well written.. but it seems people like Shumaila & Jeet have been offended and did not quite understand the wit behind.. Someone could explain the ‘sarcasm’ bit to them before they hit their heads on a wall or something with anger..

7. Aarviind Acharya

Watch “how a rapist is born” by brain singer. the lecture is in hindi language. brain is the highly paid women psychologist in india. on youtube his channel’s name is “BRAIN Singer’

8. roona

nailed it. super awesome.

9. Ankur Kumar

Dont you think that all you are asking is to restrict the females. Dont do this, dont do that. The whole point the girls dont do what you ask for is because the whole basis of their fight is that they dont want to be restricted.

You dont get it do you. Your whole explanation is wrong. The whole basis of your theory is wrong my friend. The fight is to get equality and be free. What they want is, if boys can do this, why cant we. Although, this statement is wrong in many cases, but here they are correct.

Dont get me wrong, I am not saying that whenever the girls say that if boys can why can’t we, they are right. NO,they are not. boys and girls are two different beings, They have been genetically designed to be good at different stuffs, but my friend freedom is something you cannot deny them on that basis.

Correct your thinking sir. Don’t use this to take the thoughts of people to the wrong direction. If what you say is implemented and what these good for nothing politicians say is implemented, where is our country heading to ?

We can learn english, learn all the goddamn things the english people do, but dont you think we dont focus on the good things in their society. What is wrong with girls being equal ?

Respect them, dont condemn them.

Think wisely over what you post sir.. because there are many people who read your post and trust me it pains me to say this, but there are many people who are sheeps in disguise of humans, they will just follow anyone without even considering what their leader is saying is right or wrong.

I am not cent percent correct, but I for sure know that you are wrong here

Regards
    Ankur

1. Ankur Kumar

and I am sorry, I missed on the pre-marital sex part. Why not condemn the guys for having pre-marital sex ? why only girls ? If guys dont have pre-marital sex, girls cant have it, dont you think ?
      Although, I think its about the individual’s thoughts and understanding to deem it right or wrong, and the honour killings done on this basis, bull-shit. The people who support this type of honour-killing should be killed to protect the honour of our country.

Ankur

2. Japleen Pasricha

Dear Ankur, do you understand what is satire? If not, please google it. The entire article has been written sarcastically.

10. REALITY

why rape mates out trauma on woman even in this day and age , if its not with consent ,it may cause injury in their private parts but it shouldn’t cause any mental injury if the victim is a habitual sex addict ,so why shouldn’t the accused be prosecuted under sections of physical assault or grievous hurt or hurt.As rape is associated with the modesty of a woman and moreover victimization of parents as their daughter is termed as whore in the society, but if a woman is having sex openly in cinema halls ,cars metro etc so where is modesty which can be outraged . They are sluts, so rape is immaterial in this context ,yes sections should be invoked under grievous hurt or physical assault depending on the degree of injury.

11. Divyank Raina

Double Thumbs Up!

12. Manpreet

Proud of you Japleen! This article is perfectly written. And for all those who don’t understand what the writer is trying to convey, just google “SATIRE” and make your life easy 😛

13. Anurag Kapur

Effortless effort.

14. Nicky Collins

Excellent article! When you said it was a satire in the beginning of the article, I thought it was too obvious to be mentioned. But after looking at some of the comments here, I guess I am mistaken. Maybe you should have given the definition of satire in the beginning……:P

15. ragini

wonderful article….intellectual piece of writing….thumbs up japleen!!!!!

16. Rutuj

Excellent pice of writing

17. Megha Rawat

I apologise on behalf of all those who completely missed the sarcasm. I on the other hand loved it!

18. Ashima Sahni

One of the best articles I have ever read in my life.

19. Yash

I would like to have congratulated you for an excellent piece of satire depicting an over-the-top portrayal of the Indian ruling class’s views on rape, sexuality and gender equality, however, as sad as it sounds, this isn’t exaggerated at all. In fact, the problem is much greater. The article is brilliant nonetheless. How some fools still managed to get their panties in a twist (is this considered a sexist remark?) even when the author indicated it was satire right at the beginning is completely beyond me.

1. Japleen Pasricha

I did not wish to mention that this is satire (I thought that was pretty evident, alas I was wrong) but, if you scroll down in the comments section, you’ll see how many got offended. So the website decided it is best to put a disclaimer right at the beginning. Even I had to put one on my blog. I know, this is crazy. Anyway, thank you!

20. Jay

The article is well written…tongue in cheek. I can empathise with the author’s contempt for all those unwanted pieces of supercilious ‘advice’. I can hear the angst too in the tone of the letter. Great work.

21. Zia

Dear writer, I appreciate your efforts, but AIB did it first. You just have transcribed it in a written form. Not original at all.
    Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hC0Ng_ajpY

22. rosana

wat the fuck is all i can say!!!!!

23. Shruthi

Sarcasm at its best!!!!

24. Ravi Singh

Beautiful read. The fact is in modern days no one understands the pain but comments are ready to be thrown. Being modern is good but being inviting is not. It is our own responsibility to take care of self and then be dependant on others.

1. Japleen Pasricha

Did you understand that this is satire?

2. Jib

How could anyone not understand this clear satire.

3. Karthika

Sir, the article is satire. Why can’t rapists and abusers take up responsibility and stop Harassing women and children and men of course. Then people didn’t have to live in fear or be ashamed of their gender in the first place.

25. Karthika

This is so disturbing that I have decided to share it in facebook.

26. varshasivaram

Well written Japleen! But I am so sorry for you, getting baseless comments from people who can’t get what satire is :P. These people should totally stop eating chowmein, that would give them sense 😛 (no offense)

27. Monistaf

I get the oozing sarcasm but you have to admit that there is responsibility on both sides of every story. Of course everyone has a right to be where they want and do what they want, we live in a free country, but just because it is right, it does not make it logical. I too can claim that it is well within my right to walk the streets at any time of the night but unless you live in an idealistic world, you have to accept the increased risk that comes with that decision and take appropriate measures to protect yourself. Taking a private bus at 2 AM with 6 drunk men and expecting them to drop you home and roll out the red carpet for you and kiss you goodnight is not exactly a brilliant idea. It is one of those acts that qualifies both of them for the “Darwin awards” (Take yourself out of the gene pool). I am sure there are a lot of men and the vast majority of women in India who would never do that because the risk clearly outweighs the benefits. Does not mean everyone has to live in fear, just live with common sense or practical wisdom. What happened in New Delhi is absolutely repulsive in every sense of the term and the perpetrators should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but oftentimes, prevention is better than cure. It was clearly a crime of opportunity, and guess what, there would not have been a crime if there was no opportunity. In this particular case I am referring to, it could have been clearly avoided with an ounce of common sense.

1. Maitreyi Haldar

Wow! Talk about distortion of facts!
      Firstly, it wasnt 2 A.M and the guys werent that inebriated. The juvenile rapist had enough sense to convince the two to board the bus.
      Secondly, there were 50000 other people on the road. Let us assume half of them were men. That makes the count 25000. Why didnt those 25000 other men rape her while she came out from the mall uptill what happened in the bus?
      Ill tell you why. Because every man is not a rapist. Every man ildoesnt view a girl as sex object and every man doesnt feel the urge to force himself upon another human being. Yes, a HUMAN BEING.
      In this gendered world, all of us here seem to forget that we are actually talking about a HUMAN BEING-With basic human rights. But it seems you cant agree with that.
      So im guessing that if you are a man, whenever you see a girl outside her home in any of the aforementioned “stereotypical and potential rape triggerring” conditions, you go and rape? Because thats what you should do with “such girls”, right? I hope you are doing it every day, with every girl and fulfilling your duty.

2. Monistaf

OK, so I got the time wrong. Apologies.

“The juvenile rapist had enough sense to convince the two to board the bus.”
      And the girl did not have enough common sense to NOT get into a bus with an unknown destination. Would you have boarded the bus?? Did you ever ask yourself that question? Even in broad daylight, I would not board a bus that I had no clue where it was headed. I think I speak for the vast majority here, males and females. Just that simple act of not boarding the bus, could have prevented this ugly incident.

“But it seems you cant agree with that.”
      What part of my comment talks about human rights violation.

“Because thats what you should do with “such girls”, right? I hope you are doing it every day, with every girl and fulfilling your duty.”
      Did I endorse what happened? I called it repulsive!! I did not realize that people can make up their minds that someone is a rapist simply by reading comments on a public forum.

We may not agree on the same point of view, but at least, I respect your right to a different opinion, I do not need to use slander to express my dissent and neither should you.

3. Maitreyi Haldar

It seems you have never travelled from south delhi to dwarka. I have, because I live there. It is very normal to board chartered buses which scream out the destination. THAT is what happened.
      As far as me accusing you of siding with the rapists is concerned, the very fact that your putting the onus of the rape on the girl is proof enough that you believe the victim is the culprit, for she was unable to ensure her safety.

4. Ratz Roy

Well being an ordinary human being and a young man I often have a question in mind…. Whom are you aiming your grievances at? Men??Government??Lawmakers?? Its just that girls are saying that they are not safe…. Is it really so?? I bet doing whatever one likes may be fundamentally right but logically incorrect. If being safe means to be out on a highway at dead hours of the night and still be safe then I can say that no government in the world can guarantee safety for women. Keeping our senses open is key and to accept the truth too. Nirbhaya’s case was cruel and gruesome to the extreme extent. It is condemnable for obvious reasons. But why is it hard to accept the truth. It is a fact that our system lacks in many ways but at the same time even we need to be cautious because an idealistic world is impractical. Few of us know that in 1977 NYC had a power outage for 8 hours. Thousands of cases of rape, murder and vandalism took place in those 8 hours…Well USA is a so called safe country right? So it is clear that opportunists will wait for opportunity and its better to avoid situations where one can be in danger “whenever possible”. Rape results surely from a psychological disorder. It has roots deep within a person who commits. These roots need to be found out. As far as our politicians are concerned, they are stupid bunch of people elected by more stupid people like us…. so nothing more to say…

5. Shivani Dixit

Did u miss the point or are you so dumb to understand wht it says?if you are talking abt Nirbhaya….She was not out at 2 am..many auto wallahs refused to takes them home and that bus was covered by curtains..so she had no way of knowing that there is no body but 6 pevert men inside who are going to brutalise her..if you are talking abt the NE student,,,she just went opposite side of the road to have tea..it was just opposite her hostel..what a big mistake it was right

6. Monistaf

May be I am dumb, but obviously not dumb enough to board a bus with an unknown destination, regardless of the time of day. I do not know about the NE student case, and I agree that there are a lot of crimes, against both men and women when they are just going about their daily business, but the Nirbhaya case, which was a henious crime, that made world headlines, could, at least in my opinion, easily have been avoided. Why is it so hard to acknowledge that fact?

7. lakshmi

“how girls should be intelligent in keeping themselves safe is completely different track of topic” and “topic about the basic way of thinking of such boys who do such heinous acts/and all those other horrible people listed in this article written by japleen” is different.

guys like you miss out on one point in your brains …. that is : human beings instinctive behavior should be different from animals , if you dont want to be civilized with your fellow human beings why not just go and live in wild forests and show all your basic animal like instincts on animals of your level of thinking which don’t have control on there mind

8. monistaf

Personal safety awareness is one of key issues in preventing ugly incidents like these. Just because you refuse to accept that fact, does not make it irrelevant. I get called a rapist and get banished to a forest for expressing my views on a public forum and you are talking about being “civilized” ?

9. Lakshmi

You are trying to be very intelligent and take away the limelight on what am trying to say …. And Oh you are too intelligent to twist the topic ….. Keep it up ….. Someday hope guys like you understand to eradicate the basic root cause of these rapes !

28. archana mishra

Amazingly expressed !!
    I wonder why these so called highly reputed people dont understand the pain of the victim…
    instead of blaming girls they should make strict and hard laws against these fucking people !
    I wish I had the power of making law for these bastards…power for a single day…
    They should be cut into pieces bit by bit…beaten up by rusted rods…
    oh god…why are such criminals alive 🙁

29. pria

Sir mayb some points what you have mentioned are true in many big cosmopolitan cities .. but I would ask what small villages wherw minor kids are being raped by her father ? Are will u blame that girl o the father ? All reasons cant be put on women are the weaker got most of men consider … middle age uncle having fansties to young girls in bus n road side jus cz the girl is hot a attractive to look .. so u mean that now girl must not go out o wt ? So when u blame tge women who are the main target for getting raped then y dont suggest some tips fot not getting raped ? One straight forward wuestion with no offence if same things appiles on ur family o ur friend who a girl will u support the girl o the man who raped ? Not every girl in india is rich o fashionable dt she wear sexy or with her bf roaming around ? U just have seen citylife and are talking about this pls roam the villages in india then repost ur comment then I shall I accept that we women are the real cause … fine then y arent women getting raped in usa las vegas o uk ..its a free country like india …so popular called the islamic countries crime rate is zero its jus cz women wear burka but its the men know the law if they rape they are hung to death …mayb men be india are bit free on the law as our jails so adopted the re formative theory of punishment …

1. pria

Sorry for some pity mistakes and being bit rude ..but according me rape happens all over india not just cities like delhi n mumbai o bangalore its jus media makes an breaking news that take places in cities … as per my experience abroad I would say women they arent treated as yes object o easily targeted people for rape …its blaming the cause for the problem but finding the solution … in UAE people knw the punishment for the crime but not the act of the crime but sadly to say its opposite in india … a teenage guy has a easy access to porn n crime scence rather then knowing if he /she does that act whats the punishment he shall face before the court of law .. the so called nirbhaya case even til today the minor isnt guilt of his offense who called dt victim didi n raped her twiced …so to say our law felt indian people free but blame women for provoking men to commit rape on them ..

30. Saurav Ojha

Wow … what an amazing satirical article …
    I was just amazed by your points and facts about how
    bad the bureaucratic elite class of India thinks about
    such horrendous crimes as rape !!
    They still seem to be lost in tribal mentality.

31. Geet

So you mean that girls should stay inside houses…. what will happen or who will save girls from getting abused in house.. these “Bhaiya” words does not work on those sick minds who have planned all this before hand.. whose so ever wrote this I believe that, that person is the most narrow minded and sick personality.. You did so much research blaming girls why they get raped. Have you ever thought of those perfect girls being abused at homes.. and for your information i am talking about those girls who do not wear mini skirts stay at home almost all the time.. No boyfriends, No premarital sex… still get raped.. People specially like the author of this article needs to change their mind set.. and Girls do what ever you feel like and you think is good for you.. you may work late nights.. party whenever you want.. but make sure that you are always alert of what kind of people are around you.. and you carry a pepper spray and a knife in your bag always.. and make sure when you are walking alone and you carry them in your hands.. and make sure your targets are people like Japleen who are evils of society…

No nation can grow if ladies or girls does not help in its growth.. keep that in mind and you can save yourself..

1. prakhar

You should understand that the content is sarcastic as put in disclaimer or can easily be judged by the tone of the matter.

2. K.M

The whole point was to prove how absurd the views by the officials, ministers and policemen are. Check what Sarcasm means 😉

32. himu

I have only to words for this… screw you !

33. sandhya

it’s not japleen who is saying all these things… she is just putting views expressed by these elite people… don’t lose your calm… this is what satire is called…

34. SHIPRA

How did i miss out on all these advice’s. Our leaders have such great minds. With leaders like these India is sure to go a long way.
    Now i know, rape isn’t a crime. Its a gift to us from our rapist, to enjoy sex.
    wah India wah!

35. gautam govinda

Either most of the readers here don’t understand satire or you don’t know how to write satire oriented writeups properly. Liked the article, but waaaaay too much male bashing. Just a little change in your perspective and you might understand not all of the above statements were foolish. But then again, you are a blogger and aspiring ‘writer’ after all, you must be correct, at least more correct than people at the topmost position in society like policemen, ministers, officers etc. I wish you luck in your life, keep forcing your opinions.

36. Parag

All the points put forward are the best possible sarcastic views I have seen. I hope people do understand this and move in the right way. Nice job Japleen pointing out these things. All to be said, being an Indian studying abroad I don’t think that people’s mind set will change overnight.
    Indian society is so rigid towards these issues that they don’t even try to change their opinion. Being a boy I can’t really say how it is but I don’t think that India is the best place for a girl to live. There’s no respect left for women and then moreover due to these incidents we have this new stereotype in foreign countries that all Indian men are rapist. I don’t understand why but seriously I think when something doesn’t work as it should work then one must go to the root of the cause and I think it has nothing to do with the dress girls wear or if they roam on roads at night or not, whether they go partying, etc. but its with our age old morals and ethics which I don’t see are working any more.
    I don’t feel proud any more saying I am an Indian. Being patriotic about my country won’t change the fact that it is just one of the worst countries for the girls. I even feel shame calling India “Bharat mata” cause there’s no respect for any mata or girl any more.
    Being one of the super powers of the world or being the best in some fields is not sufficient unless the citizens are safe and sound.

1. lakshmi

yours is such a kind message for all the women out there …

37. Akansha Pandey

Mam!! I completely respect your views and perspective but with due respect I want to mention an old saying that “Listen to everyone but follow your heart always” . Being an women I have opinion that we cant change each and everyone perspective in our Indian society (Rights to have Freedom of Expression, Action and Behavior) but being an Human Being we can have a quality of life that we want and what we deserve irrespective of weather it is a life of a Man or a Women. I completely agree by your quotes that we should be care enough and completely responsible for all and every type of our activities weather its holding hands with our boyfriend or getting knowledge and updates of how to deal with such sarcastic situations. I also agree that in India we can’t expect full equality of women not because ts wrong to have such equality ( because our society think ” We have forgotten our true duties to the society as quoted in your article that in German they say that a woman has three K’s in her life, i.e., Kinder, Küche und Kirche which roughly translates into children, kitchen and church.”) but also because we have diversified culture, people with regional and political views and most importantly it is we that are more focused to follow blindly to western and modern culture and not understanding that culture with respect to India where we live. As there is one famous quote that “No single drop of water thinks it is responsible for flood” so it is obvious human nature to look for help from the surrounding or pass buck on system, society and people. Wearing small dresses is not bad but carrying our self confidently and taking responsibility of one’s protection is what we girls need. If we start, becoming strong and responsible and understand our culture, people and surrounding where we are living than what ever views or ideas we follow ( i.e weather it is of German stating that woman has three K’s in her life or weather its US where Women are free to do any and everything) it will not really affect us. We as an women need to be strong and start caring for our-self’s by taking responsibilities of our decisions and dreams. Now this case is for every women of our society weather she is house wife or a free going girl. I am not speaking on against of your views or in favor of any Feminist’s. this is my opinion where I found that a women of our society like Kiran Bedi, Smita Sabharwal, Kalki Koechlin, Sania Mirza, acid attack victim Laxmi and like many more have had followed their dreams facing brutal realities of our society and yet they managed to follow their hearts and also are strong pillars to their families, friends and society. So It is we who have to understand our responsibilities and options to fulfill our dreams and enjoy the life the way we want (then it may be by whatever ways like holding hands of the spouse, working at night shift or wearing short dresses, girl studying in coed school or a women playing her role as a decent house wife) because “Responsibility walks hand in hand with capacity and power”.

38. Priyanka

Brilliantly written!
    But it has also made me so sad! The brutal realities of life!
    Excellent!

39. Ratnakirti Roy

Very well written indeed… really heart touching…. What I think as a youth is that our social system is largely responsible for the different types of atrocities Indian women face mostly. One big reason is that India as a country never really upgraded to modernism. We call ourselves urban but our cores are still a thousand years old. We are a mix of medieval conservatism and sporadic modern urban lifestyle. Also education in India does not creep into our lives. It ends in a school or a college premise. One fact that most so called guards of the “Indian Culture” bypass when making comments is that India in her old days wasn’t this conservative about sex. Had it been so then Khajuraho, Konark and Kamasutra wouldn’t had been created only. I think the change should be from the family level… where parents can teach a boy that just being born as a boy doesnt make him great and also teach a girl that getting married is not the only way you can get settled in life. There are prejudices that are used to blackmail girls… like a father’s going to heaven if his daughter is married…. Marriage being a compulsion for most girls even today, many marriages eventually turn up to be businesses where money speaks and later many girls succumb to the losses of the “business” and die or are killed. As far rape is considered, a big portion of the Indian society still rears up their boys teaching them to consider girls to be just a “piece of meat” for their enjoyment….. We do not respect others. I strongly think we should change…. we link drinking to sex… smoking to sex….and perhaps every little things in life are linked to sex…. We live in a society where we condemn public nudity and other “seductive” media postings but ourselves think of sex all the time… We are confused…. by parents….by religion….by the government…. but we should change…. its too dark now…. its time for a dawn which only the common mass can bring…not the government….not anyone else… only then I think we can stop crime towards women…

40. Harsha

Amazingly written ! I am really amazed by the amount of people who are seriously missing out the whole point of this article. It is written in a satirical fashion, people. This is the definition of satire – ” The use of humour, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people’s stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.” Please try and understand that this article is written to ridicule the orthodox and absurd thoughts and views of some great men and women ! (Sarcasm,again)
    A few months ago, I read a line which defines the true meaning of sarcasm in India – “Sarcasm is like western toilets in India. More than half the population of India is yet to know about it.”
    Anyway, this article is really a good piece of work. But unfortunately, I don’t see any uplift in the condition of women in the future. I, as a girl, have been a victim of regular eve teasing and sometimes even physical violence. Men have hit me on my ass, touched my bosom and just went away with it. I,sadly, could not do anything because these men are always on bike and I could,obviously,not match up to their speed on foot. This feeling of helplessness is so so so frustrating that the only thing you can do after being molested is cry.
    So it is my request to all the women out there, who are reading this, to not tolerate any kind of violence against yourself if you have a chance to do something about it. I have made this mistake many a times, but no more. If you are scared to tell your family about it, go directly to the police, if something can be done about it. Like,if you could see the number of the bike, or you know anyyything about the man, just report him. Ladies, do nottt tolerate.
    Regards,
    Harsha.

41. ayushi tiwari

First of all truly appreciate your efforts, and how brilliantly you framed the disgusting views of some of the devils of our society. This is definitely an eye opener for all of us. How easily people from all parts of our society have come up with all the reasons that how its only a women’s fault if she gets raped. What kind of a society is this, where a rapist lives with his heads up and the victims are left to face the questions on her character by our society. Are there no morals and no humanity left ? how is it a women’s fault if she gets raped?
    Shri Ranjit Sinha’s statement ‘if you can’t stop it enjoy it’. has he lost his mind giving such statements. what kind of a man he is. He should be put behind bars for giving out such a statement. SHAME..!! on our society, and shame on people like him.

42. Isha Bhatia

very well written japleen. it’s nice to see you being so active online! – Isha

By Asra Naaz

By arisha ahmed

By Mansi Mahajan