This Is Why I Think Third Front Is Not An Option In Elections 2014

Posted on November 7, 2013 in Politics

By Kavya Vidyarthi:

With India heading towards one of the most sought general elections ever in 2014, there are speculations, and more of them. The two ‘supposedly’ national parties are heading towards a hung assembly election- minus the amount of drama and glamour which has been linked with PM candidate Narendra Modi. Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Mr. Akhilesh Yadav has often gone on media camera’s to speak of the possibility of a third front and how they were working on it already, however there is a maintained ambiguity on the subject.

Technically it might even be called the fourth front with the emergence of AAP- a party which is celebrating empty publicity thanking the inefficacious efforts of the main opposing parties to emerge as a people’s party. Why third front is not a possibility is the number of (un)potential Prime minister candidates the country homes. India is home to people who enter the political world eyeing only the prime ministerial seat with the most populous state alone housing not one but two candidates in cut throat competition for the seat

thirdfront1

The country’s most popular parties which could be possible allies in the third front are more often than not at cut throat competition with one another. They would rather open fire on the other than join hands. If however, certain adjustments and agreements manage to bring together a supposed third front, the disparities and difference of opinion in within the party will lead to internal politics and formation of small groups within the party causing not only personal disagreements but also chaos and lawlessness at national level. One person will override orders of the other without paying heed to the welfare of public in general.

Also, the parties termed as kingmakers, possessing the potential to alter the future of the country would never join hands for they are in opposition in the state they belong. Moreover there would be a debate over who drew the votes, just in case voted to power, causing a disagreement with who should be posed for the PM candidate. Most ideologies of different parties too differ- where one is accused of communalism, other of corruption and the third of lawlessness. The favours endowed on minorities might be in agenda of one’s electoral manifesto whereas it may be the factor against which another group within the same party is advocating. So do you think third front in India can possibly be successful? I don’t though I’d wish against facts to see a successful third front.