Meet Mahitha Kasireddi: Writer, Pursuer Of Change And YKA Opinion Leader Of The Week

Posted on November 26, 2013 in Inspiration

By Tanaya Singh: 

Here’s presenting, one of our most active contributors as the opinion leader of this week.

Mahitha says that unfortunately she is an Engineering IT graduate. Other than that she is an aspiring civil servant, writer, journalist and economist. A wanna-be everything at once. Blame the social media for she cannot concentrate on one particular goal for a long period. She believes in change and it’s her soul philosophy of life. She thinks that she hasn’t done much of real work towards this change other than just writing, but she dreams that one day she will look beyond books and offer real help.

As a part of our Opinion Leader of the Week column, we highlight Mahitha’s personal journey with the Youth Ki Awaaz community.

DSCN0056Q1: When and how did you get involved with Youth Ki Awaaz?
Since writing has always been my passion I was a regular contributor at YKA since June 2012. In April 2013, I joined as a writing intern and there started a personal journey. In two months so much happened. I got to address on happening events, crusades, campaigns, atrocities etc. People recognized my work. A HR from Delhi called up to offer me a campaigning job at Greenpeace. It was just the kind of platform I wanted. A wide readership, opinionated audiences and a liberal editorship. I did write for other online journals but the flexibility that I expected was not provided there. As a budding writer I had ideas to express, things to disagree on. I wanted people to listen, more people to reflect on what I had to say. Honestly, YKA is the best thing that happened to me.

Q2: What are some of the topics you’ve loved writing about, and why?
Yes, all have pet issues. For me, two sections of people in the society need exclusive representation. I feel women and child issues are the most unattended ones. I’m a strong advocate of the point that investing in women and children is the only way to weed off almost all societal problems in India starting from non-institutional deliveries and malnourishment in children to dowry harassment, domestic violence and daily security of women. My ideas might sound naive and utopian. My biggest dream is to see the unlearning of gender bias, promoting feminism like a religion. Apart from these, I’d like to extensively talk about collective social responsibility and change. Bringing about social change is the biggest challenge. Even people of your circles would not cooperate at times. A friend of mine blocked me away from Facebook because I had asked her not to support piracy of unreleased movies. My concern was for the 100 workers on the sets of the film and their families who draw their livelihood from it. There has to be a change in thought process and I believe writing has the power to bring revolutions. History has proven this.

Q3: What is it that you see as the outcome of your writings at Youth Ki Awaaz, at present or how would you like the outcome to be in the future?
There were times when I shared my personal experiences at YKA and I had always seen wide support and solidarity coming across. Sometimes people sharing their own stories. Specially the one I had written about obsession with fair skin. The best part of YKA is that it has managed to attract the right kind of audiences. People who stand up for what is right, libertarians, humanists and romanticists. Many times I had changed my opinions, got mature on some things I had reservations against. I grew up reading at YKA. Cannot ask for more. It is an on-going process. This place will continue to be an influencer in my life.

Q4: If you wanted to change one thing about Youth Ki Awaaz, what would it be?
YKA has already grown into something I always aspired to see. A much needed revolution. I live in Hyderabad and people here aren’t aware about YKA. I’d like this idea to spread across the nation. We are a young country and YKA should definitely harness this power to help India be stronger democracy.

Q5: What do you like to do when you’re not writing, or thinking about pressing issues, or just working?
When I am not writing I look for inspiration. I have to keep working on new ideas to reflect on otherwise I don’t feel normal. As I’m an absolute netizen I watch selected movies which have a story with a human touch. I love History and I wish to compose a historical fictional story someday. And I attend random seminars, fests and talks on interesting issues off course not with aim to report about them, but to seek a writing prompt! I go to watch movies alone, again only sensible ones. This year I am glad I invested on real good movies like Bhag Milkha Bhag, The Lunch Box and Shahid.

Q6: What one question would you like to pose to your audience?
Define Optimism, Happiness and Inspiration? I have new answers each day!