Here’s Why I Think AAP Is All Set To Change Indian Politics, Forever!

By K Rahul Gupta:

A lot of praise is being heaped on the AAP as a champion of clean politics, especially after a great show in the Delhi Assembly elections. The title seems to be truly deserved so far, as the party has clearly distinguished itself from mainstream politicians both in language and practice. The party has appealed to no citizen group, that could be called a vote bank, has been very transparent about the funding and expenditure, and most importantly has drawn its candidates with great discretion. If the party manages to successfully scale the next wall i.e. transforming ideology and passion into governance and legislature, the emergence of AAP would be remembered as a watershed moment in India’s political history.

safe_image

Immediately after independence, Nehru had the vision of a strong rooted democracy with multi-polar election rivalries. The idea was to strengthen the roots of our democracy by allowing the gradual growth of newer alternatives to Congress, while not directly supporting them. But over the years, both within and outside the Congress, people who saw politics as a service started getting replaced by people who saw politics as a high-paying career. With this shift came an increasing political greed to hold on to power, and a reluctance to allow any new political party to gain strength. Power was often unabashedly used to stunt the growth of other political parties. As such, it is very difficult to contemplate a new political party gaining in popularity that doesn’t exploit either a populist or a sectarian agenda. When seen against this backdrop, Aam Aadmi Party’s surge in the recent Delhi elections, based completely on the clean politics card is near miraculous.

The only other time a rookie political party shook an established power was when the Telugu Desam Party way back in 1983 swept the state of Andhra Pradesh. However, unlike AAP the Telugu Desam Party had a central agenda that is very sectarian. In the words of its founder NT Rama Rao, TDP stands for ‘the pride and welfare of Telugu speaking people’ (only). And unlike AAP, the lead-up to the electoral success of TDP in 1983 wasn’t a popular social cause like the Jan Lokpal movement, but rather its founder’s popularity as a film actor.

In, what is a wider trend, most parties after Nehru’s Congress, represented only sectarian interests. The Janata Party overtly stood for Hindus, while its offspring the present day BJP, covertly. And then there are the parties which claim to represent the backward castes, Dalits, Tamils, Marathis and Muslims etc., but none with an appeal that cuts across regions and peoples. So there is a pressing need for a centrist alternative to Congress also one that has a pan-India outlook. It is this lack of a credible alternative that made the Congress as lazy and corrupt as it is in its ranks today. The AAP is the most plausible unit to fill this void. It not only puts forth a secular and centrist political agenda which is of primary importance. For the AAP, the unit of governance is the common man, whose identity is not tied to a region, religion, or community, but to the fact of his/her Indian citizenship. By choosing to start its political journey at the national capital, and by indicating its interest in contesting elections also in other cities in the immediate future, the party has subtly expressed that it’s playing for the long term.

Secondly, while the Congress seems to represent the wider national interests, so many years in power has led to an establishment of a lazy and corrupt culture within the party’s elected representatives. The scam spree of UPA 2 is a reflective of this prevailing culture within the grand old party. This culture is now deeply rooted, and is very hard to clean up in a short time. The Congress survives in power despite the corruption because of its socialist, but often very populist, schemes. What is only worse than this is the Congress’s unease to let go of the Gandhi family as the de facto leadership resource. The sad state of Congress affairs calls for a radical alternative — with freshness in thinking, purity in action. Idealism has this moral authority that realism cannot boast of. And AAP’s manifesto for the Delhi elections projects just that — idealism that sounds almost irrational, but has the power to push the limits of rationality. The promises made in the manifesto may seem impossible to achieve, but the mere fact that the targets are stringent can push the government to perform miracles.

The big question now is whether the Aam Aadmi Party learns to adapt to the ground reality of challenges facing a government, once in power. With such strong idealistic rage, the party might find itself alone and cornered in a murky business. It should be aware that it is extremely difficult to continually stand for the founding ideals among the push-pulls of coalition politics, and to do so successfully would require high levels of moral clarity and stubbornness. At this point in time, however, one still has to give it to the party and its charming leader whose looks of a simpleton hide an unimaginable political sophistication. The emergence of Aam Aadmi Party is a testament to the strength of our democracy’s fundamentals, and has the potential to truly change India forever.

1. chanakya

Hope AAP will create and change rules in India’s sophisticated politics…

2. Hemen Parekh

Great Expectations

People of Delhi have ” Great Expectations ” from AAP government

And people of India will be watching how well AAP delivers on those expectations before 2014 general elections

Will AAP manage to deliver on its promises ?

Here is when great expectations turn into ” Unreasonable Expectations ” !

TV anchors are asking this question to every single AAP leader – all the time

And , they are also asking this question to sundry BJP / Congress leaders as well

Asking persons who are taking vicarious pleasure in predicting that AAP will fail miserably

Other than a random AAP leader ( notably , Arvind Kejriwal himself ), no one is saying ,

” Of course , AAP will fail to deliver on some of those promises – especially
    those promises which require a YES nod from Central Government

Of course , AAP may have made some miscalculations

Of course , AAP has no experience in running a government

Of course , AAP will make some mistakes

Of course , AAP has no solutions to ALL the problems of Delhi

So what ?

In 2009 , didn’t Congress promise to ,

> abolish poverty ( as it has been promising for past 66 years ) ?

> bring inflation under control within 100 days of coming to power ?
    – and then repeating that promise , every 100 days ?
    – and even forcing Planning Commission and the RBI governor to say
    the same thing at every quarterly review ? ”

Obviously , the vanquished are in a tearing hurry to write an epitaph on AAP’s tombstone !

I am reminded of the vultures circling in the sky when they see an animal dying on the ground !

Are you surprised that the political vultures are waiting for AAP government to die / fail ?

Are TV anchors allowing these vultures to use their powerful media to bring about , a ” Self – fulfilling Prophesy ” ?

Have we become an ant crawling on a M F Hussein painting , which cannot step back and see it in perspective , in all its glory ?

On midnight of 15th August 1947 , I walked with the crowds of people ( all of them Aam Aadmi ) , from Shivaji Park to Gateway of India , in Mumbai

It took me 12 hours to walk that distance

But I was lucky to have witnessed history in the making

And now , after a lapse of 66 years , I am lucky once again , to be witnessing , another glorious moment of history !

Let us celebrate the arrival of our second freedom – the Surajya

Let us celebrate the beginning of the end of Cancer of Corruption

Let us celebrate the re-birth of the Common Man – the Aam Aadmi

* hemen parekh ( 28 Dec 2013 / Mumbai )

By Apurv Raj

By Impact and Policy Research Institute (IMPRI)