This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Ojaswini Srivastava. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Why Is There A Deadline To My Marriageable Age And Why Should Everyone Marry?

More from Ojaswini Srivastava

By Ojaswini Srivastava:

If I ask what marriage is, someone from my generation may describe it as the commitment to spend one’s life with someone they love by being loyal, honest and loving forever. If I ask the same question to maybe someone form my father’s generation, the answer can be like, it’s a sacred bond, made in heaven, by which we are fated to be tied and live happily thereafter, together, in a union of two families and so on …

marriage

My question anyway is not what is marriage but why marriage? Why is marriage so inevitable? Why cannot one decide and declare to live one’s life without marriage? I am sure this question will enrage many. Well, if I ask single people generally, who all want to marry? I am sure 90% will say yes, and I am among those 90%. I too wish to meet someone special, get married and settle down. But what about the remaining 10%? Why are they seen as a great exception? Why do they seem so unreal to rest of the world? If someone believes they cannot marry, or they feel they do not want to marry, why pressurize them under the burden of tradition’s name? I guess it is a better option not to marry than get trapped in a marriage, then fall apart, take divorce and ruin lives. (I of course don’t say that every person who is married under family pressure falls apart later on, love happens, but many do fall apart, and many remain trapped in a loveless bond lifelong).

Just the other day I was having a conversation with my father when he said, “it is good for girls to get married early”. There came this thought in me. Why?

This superficial belief of our society that a girl should get married by twenty five years of age and a guy must get married by thirty (or whatever the so-called ‘ideal age’ is) sounds absolutely illogical. Why a girl who does not wish to get married at the age of twenty five but a few years later, or why a girl who wishes to spend her life looking after her family, has to get married, because it is essential for the society?

I have a friend who is the only child of her parents. She keeps listing the various things she wants to do for them. But just the other moment she regrets. She has to get married and go away to be a part of another family, so she won’t be able to always be around her parents and look after them. Only because she is a girl she cannot stay with them all her life, and love them and fulfil their each and every need like till now they have done for her. I ask why?

This entire debate around getting married, and that too at the ‘conventionally correct age’, kills me inside every day, (perhaps because I know I too am soon going to get shot with this bow). This concept is brim with the lack of logic. It is reflective of our hypocrisy.

My argument is twofold. Firstly, why a guy is eligible for marriage even at the age of thirty but a girl isn’t? Secondly, why everyone must get married?

I am sure with these thoughts of mine I am going to provoke a huge bunch of people, but at the same time it will also be something that another bunch of people will connect to. My point is, please don’t impose traditions. Yes, it does give us a sense of the past, a sense of who we are, but let every generation also make its own traditions, formed on their indigenous beliefs. It is high time we dare to break those conventions which we secretly know are illogical, and thus add a little more meaning to our society. Let’s get married by choice and not by force. Let there not be any irrational deadlines of the ‘ideal matrimony age’, or even the idea of marriage being a necessity. I agree marriage bonds people, flows love, leads the cycle of human life and progeny and all that, but don’t you agree it will be more sensible if all of it is a willing choice? Please don’t compromise on human dignity by forcing a fellow human into what is called the ‘sacred knot’. Let them make an independent choice.

As I earlier said, there are only 10% single people, who will not want to marry. Please allow them that space. And for the other part of my argument I conclude by requesting you to think over the logic of this ‘ideal age for marriage’ that we have and kindly make an attempt to reform your thought process.

1. adya00

Well, I’m not in favour of any ideal age, but this assumption of it came from the fact that marriage was mean’t to procreate and keep the society going forward. So women have a biological cycle, and that;s why they had to get married around 25 so they could have healthy kids. Now the point is that not everyone wants kids, and you don’ t have to get married to have kids. So things need to change.

1. Ojaswini Srivastava

Thankyou for the read and comment…. I have mentioned the issue of progeny that is one of the major reasons of marriage … and i completely understand your point. 🙂

2. tttttt

It holds good for both boys and girls , its better to remain unmarried than getting married with the person u don’t like ,even boys are forced to get married with some girl to perpetuate his generation , its a kind of cruelty ,that a person should get married with any girl/boy..Boys always have limited options to choose from , so in either way he has to ruin his life ,if he gets married with any woman his life is going to be ruined anyway but if he remains unmarried he can remain burden free from an unwanted woman……

3. Priyanka

Getting married out of societal pressure is ridiculous…marry whenever you feel the need of a companion in your life not because of the thought ‘what will people think’…

I personally feel after 30 is best age to get married for both gender…Beauty of 30s is maturity in
    Thought process, ability to handle relationships, exposure, experience, career and financial wise quite settled ….

I always wonder how a girl gets into a married life in early 20s when is just out of college,…even before experiencing the wonderful world and build up their personality, they get into a lot of responsibilities…and by late 20s..their world revolves around a few members in her family…they have no clue what they are missing out in life….

More from Ojaswini Srivastava

By Vaishnavi Gond

By Survivors Against TB