This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Japleen Pasricha. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Dear Freedom, Will You Come Home To India With Me And Stay Here Forever?

More from Japleen Pasricha

By Japleen Pasricha:

This article is in reference to my five-month research stay in Germany and to my various travels in and around Europe.

Dear Freedom,

I’m writing this letter to you because it’s time to bid farewell now. It has been a wonderful time with you as my company and I think I owe you at least a farewell note. I hope when you read it, you are inspired to accompany me further. Right now, you are leaving me stranded. I don’t blame you, but I hope to see you again not where you are right now, but at my home, in my city and in my country.

Women in India

I was away from home, in a far-off land. I roamed the streets alone with my camera and a book in my hand. I wandered day and night with no sign of fear in sight. I walked, ran and danced, without carrying a pepper spray in my hand. I wore a bikini at the beach and a coat when it was cold. The weather decided my clothes and not age-old customs or poking noses. I sat in my room and read the news back home. Their voices made my heart gloom, but I still enjoyed my foreign ride. I slowly forgot to look behind my shoulder from the corner of my eyes or to make an angry face while walking past a group of men. Not once did I feel why it is so difficult to be a woman. I went to bars and clubs for a drink or two and returned home drunk yet safe. I have waited for night buses at wee hours or early mornings. I have travelled in empty metros after a night full of fun and frolic. I had keys to my front door and could walk in and out whenever I wanted. I sat down under a tree or at a bench for hours, without encountering any weird gestures or awkward questions. Nobody asked me where I was going, with whom I was going and when will I be back. I had no one to answer except myself. I didn’t have to plan my outings before sunset or ask a trustworthy friend to drop me home. I made friends with men and women alike. I was alone with strangers at a lot of occasions without fearing the outcome. I asked for directions and help from different kinds of people. Not once did I fear that they would misdirect or misuse me. I talked with strangers on buses and trains during my various travels and shared a joke or two with them or ate lunch together. I did not avoid meeting anyone’s eyes as those eyes didn’t seek my flesh.

Sometimes I felt, I’m another person living a distant dream and the things I experience don’t belong to me. It tasted bittersweet. I swam in the Mediterranean and climbed up the Alps. I did adventure sports from bungee jumping to scuba diving to sky diving. Nobody said how a girl could do all this. I spent an entire night at a railway station in a country whose language I did not speak. I woke up the next morning untouched and unscathed. I did the simple act of walking back to my home at night. I felt so ecstatic while doing this. I felt as if I have some sort of power which I can finally use. I have been brought up in a relatively free-er environment than I would say my fellow citizens. But I would still never forget the time I spent with you, with zero incidences of sexual harassment or something even close to it. I used to talk of freedom well before that, but I never would’ve imagined what freedom really is if I hadn’t lived outside of my country. Even now, I sometimes cannot believe that I have lived the better part of my life in the lack of basic freedom.

I have to go now, it is my time. It will take some time getting used to do things without you, to be careful again, to not trust strangers so easily, to dress cautiously, to not wander alone, to come home before it gets dark and to many other things I’m not looking forward to. But I’m inviting you over, will you come Freedom? Will you visit me in my home? And will you stay with me forever? Will you?

P.S. This article also been published on the author’s personal blog here

1. Parvathi Preethan

Well written! 🙂

1. Japleen Pasricha

Thank you! 🙂

2. Anubha

Amaming!

3. Anubha

Amazingly written!

1. Japleen Pasricha

Thank you! 🙂

4. Madhushree Deb

Thank you Japleen for this eye-opening article. I too have heard that the definition of freedom in Europe is pretty different. Here we girls have to give an explanation for enjoying any kind of freedom.
    I am a photographer. At times I have to go out of my house in the wee hours for my work and it gives goosebumps to my family. It’s funny! I can’t even freely do something which I love just because in my own country, my own home….I am not safe. And if something goes wrong, I am faced with one BIG question, “why did you go out alone?”.

1. Japleen Pasricha

Thank you Madhushree! I understand, even I had to accustom my lifestyle since I came back.

More from Japleen Pasricha

By Karun Lama

By Nutrition International