This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Vishank Singh Rathore. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

The Death Of Socialism In India: We Failed To Build What We Promised Ourselves

More from Vishank Singh Rathore

By Vishank Singh:

We wrote in the preamble of our constitution that we will constitute a Sovereign Socialist Secular Democratic Republic but forgot about the word ‘Socialism’ soon thereafter. The Indian version of Socialism is truly different and is an ultra diluted form of Marxian Socialism. Some called it a Lohia version while the others called it Nehruvian, but the practice of this modified theory was contrary to each and every premise of Socialism.

Socialism in india

In the initial period, the ‘Sarkaari Baabus’ earned huge cash behind the veil of a Socialist dominant system. There was no transparency and accountability and hence the tight government control was used in order to exploit the common people. However, the private businesses still erupted in that era due to the dilute face of Indian Socialism. Many of these private entrepreneurs which were blessed with the helping hands of the so called socialist state of that period are ruling the very same institutions today! Under the banner of Idealistic Non -Marxian Socialism, things were designed in such a fraudulent manner that the rich were facilitated to get richer and the life of the working class was becoming much harder. Things never stopped and got a boost from the events that took place in 1991. This was the time when the government proclaimed the entry of a profit driven economy in our poor nation though socialism was still enshrined in the preamble for the purpose of fooling the masses. Foreign companies were welcomed with folded hands. We sold the markets in the hands of  the West for exploiting the opportunity in India. Uncle Sam got hold of our nerves through the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund. With these institutions, we were trapped and our fake socialism became even more dysfunctional.

The LPG economic reform of 1991, which is said to be a boon for India, is actually an exaggeration. If we look at the living conditions of the underclass and the working class, we could find that there is not much difference in the post-1991 and pre-1991 India. There was just an acceleration of the growing inequalities in the nation after these reforms. We cannot forget the the Lakhs of farmers who have committed suicide since the last fifteen years. By signing treaties and agreements with Uncle Sam and his allies, we sold our sovereignty under the false pretext of development when the poor and deprived were still waiting and struggling for food in the towns and villages. What type of development have we reached when we have the largest population of poor in the whole planet? We should realize that we still have the highest adult illiteracy rate, which is enough to explain the society we have constructed.

A socialist society is the one in which there is an equal distribution of resources among the people according to their need and ability. It’s based on the concept of scientific humanism which tends to achieve an inclusive growth in the society. But we have acted contrary to it. We made our economic policies in order to facilitate the rich and pushed the poor to die without food and shelter. We are still not able to provide employment to a major part of our population which is deprived of even the basic rights like drinking water and health facilities even after 66 years of independence. A socialist society moves towards bridging the economic disparity between the rich and poor whereas in our society, the gap is widening further. What makes me sad is the line in the preamble that says we are a ‘Socialist’ democratic republic.

1. Apurav

I have never understood the love for socialism among people. why is it romanticized, I have never been able to understand it. why take India, take USSR, Cuba, DPRK, China, Angola and every other nation which practiced socialism/communism all are way behind in almost every aspect of basic parameters that constitute a healthy life. if we look at the reduction of absolute poverty, nowhere has this humongous reduction of poverty happened as has happened after the reforms. and no, I don’t subscribe to the present state centrist capitalism, I subcribe to individual liberty and freedom where the govt. should play a minimalist role in human development.

2. John A Raju

States which claim to practise socialism aren’t exactly booming or getting on top of the world. To rein in competition and curb a profit driven economy is counter productive, it only promotes mediocrity under the facade of serving the masses. Inequalities exist, but that doesn’t mean we all become equal by pulling the successful ones down, which is what socialism does in its worst cases. The solution to poverty in our nation is definitely not outright socialism.

3. PS

Can the author suggest name of one single socialist country which is rich, in which poverty doesn’t exists, in which per capita income is high, in which wages are higher, in which people are guaranteed human rights, in which rule of law prevails

and

can the author suggest name of one single capitalist country which is poor, in which absolute poverty exists, which has low per capita income, in which wages are low, in which human rights are not guaranteed..?

wake up pal…..!!! socialism is a failed experiment and India is best example of it….

4. Rajesh

Moronic dumb article.. Socialism was brought into the constitution stealthily by that moron Indira Gandhi during emergency. Secularism too..

“If we look at the living conditions of the underclass and the working class, we could find that there is not much difference in the post-1991 and pre-1991 India. There was just an acceleration of the growing inequalities in the nation after these reforms.”
    Another nonsense. Till 1991, 90% of India were poor. Today, 40 Crore people are middleclass out of the 120 Crore. That is 1/3rd of population.

What your dumb socialism could not achieve in 44 years was overtaken by the liberalisation and free markets..

If Rich are becoming richer and the poor are becoming poorer, where did the 40 Crore middle class come from ? Did they fall from the skies ?

More from Vishank Singh Rathore

By Ayeshna Kalyan

By Md Sohel